Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to replace a Timing Cover Gasket, '99 F-150 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad to hear it helped … mine is still holding after 10 years!

Old 11-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fairlaner, thanks for the How-To. I actually did this to my 1997 4,2 back around 2000. VERY slow leak, but could not figure out where coming from. Finally encountered a mention of the issues with this model year. Had NO idea there had been a recall. Doh! Mine actually built in 1996. Been a LONG time. I recall being a pain in the neck, but had no idea I had to go through all that. LOL Once I knew where to look, I could see the coolant leak on the edge of the oil-pan I recall. I appreciate the other pics of where to look.

Had the engine rebuilt and have put another 50k on it. I do not drive it near as much since I bought a car in 2008 when gas went up to $4 the last time. My truck got 17 MPG on Highway when new and still does. Seems I have developed another leak somewhere. I have not been able to locate it. Went to the store the other day and was in there probably 20 minutes and when I came out I could smell anti-freeze as I walked up to the truck. Crawled underneath with a good flashlight and nothing I could see. I am thinking I may have to do this again. Oh boy!

Quick question for u or others. I recall one of the most frustrating things I had when I did it before was knowing which way to turn that big nut that holds the fan on. That is a right-hand thread, correct? (Lefty-Loosey)

Thanks again for the diligence u put into this How-To thread!

Mark

Old 09-01-2023, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a sequence to putting back on timing cover?

Originally Posted by fairlaner
Once the gasket surfaces are clean, put a small bead of RTV Silicone (maybe slightly larger than the one shown in the pic below), on the top of the pan where it meets the block.

Install the gasket on the block (I put a thin smooth layer of silicone on both sides of the gasket), and put a bead of RTV Silicone along the top of the pan (again maybe slightly larger than the one shown in the pic below).

The rest of the assembly is pretty much a reverse of the disassembly steps. Put a bead of silicone in the keyway in the harmonic balancer/pulley prior to pulling it onto the crank. Use the M14 x 1.50 x 60 mm Bolt to pull the harmonic balancer/pulley onto the crank (the crank pulley bolt is too short). Make sure you pull the oil pan drain plug and drain out any antifreeze which might have run into the pan, before you add your new engine oil (DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE OIL). Once you get the truck running again, check all your connections for leaks. Check your coolant level for the next few drive cycles, and top it up as necessary.

Go have a beer (or six) ... you deserve it!

After any repair like this, you're going to have a few extra parts left over. Here's what I had left over ... (more on this later)

is there a special sequence to putting back on the timing cover ??

Quick Reply: How to replace a Timing Cover Gasket, '99 F-150 4.2