Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 gotts or not

This is a great write up and pictures. I went out to do this and when I got everything out and looked at where the COLD AIR was suppose to enter it looks like to me that without the snorkel or some device to capture and direct some air into the box you are going to actually get less. You basically have a hole in a fender flap with nothing directing the air so you will probably pick up some heat from the engine bay. Maybe the older trucks with the pvc did some good. I think if you had some kind of 45 or 90 degree elbow coming out of the box and directed down through the flap on a 30 to 45 degree angled with the fender wall would be more effective. If you look at the snorkel it has a rounded funnel tip with holes to help direct air in. Just my observation and opinion.
Plus a couple of you even said you didn't see a difference or lost mpg,this might be why.

Last edited by Koolponycar; 12-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 AM
what about leaf/debris buildup in the air box?? the snorkel keeps this stuff out. what can be done about this?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Koolponycar
This is a great write up and pictures. I went out to do this and when I got everything out and looked at where the COLD AIR was suppose to enter it looks like to me that without the snorkel or some device to capture and direct some air into the box you are going to actually get less. You basically have a hole in a fender flap with nothing directing the air so you will probably pick up some heat from the engine bay. Maybe the older trucks with the pvc did some good. I think if you had some kind of 45 or 90 degree elbow coming out of the box and directed down through the flap on a 30 to 45 degree angled with the fender wall would be more effective. If you look at the snorkel it has a rounded funnel tip with holes to help direct air in. Just my observation and opinion.
Plus a couple of you even said you didn't see a difference or lost mpg,this might be why.
+1 My thoughts exactly. How does taking out the snorkel which is the connection the air box has to the cool air coming in at the fender promote better intake of cold air? Without the snorkel you now allow warm air in the engine compartment to enter the air box. I would think improving the fender end of the snorkel so that it catches more cold air from the fender would be the better solution. Maybe a piece of PVC with a large elbow to face the air coming into the fender from the front would be a better solution. I just don't see how removing the current snorkel improves anything, I would think it would make it worse.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking1204
+1 My thoughts exactly. How does taking out the snorkel which is the connection the air box has to the cool air coming in at the fender promote better intake of cold air? Without the snorkel you now allow warm air in the engine compartment to enter the air box. I would think improving the fender end of the snorkel so that it catches more cold air from the fender would be the better solution. Maybe a piece of PVC with a large elbow to face the air coming into the fender from the front would be a better solution. I just don't see how removing the current snorkel improves anything, I would think it would make it worse.
Read: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...highlight=2009

MGD

Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
I'm still not convinced, the physics of air flow just don't make sense for this mod to make any improvement. I don't know enough but Dyno testing but I would bet something else or just inconsistency in Dyno results is the cause of those dyno results. I've read too many posts of people who lose MPG and overall performance by doing this mod to believe it works on the Ecoboost air box. With the snorkel removed you now have a hole in the air box that opens up to the warm air in the engine bay and you also have a break in the opening to the hole in the fender well breaking up the flow of cold air into the air box. IMO, physically there is no way more cold air is forced into the air box this way.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking1204
I'm still not convinced, the physics of air flow just don't make sense for this mod to make any improvement. I don't know enough but Dyno testing but I would bet something else or just inconsistency in Dyno results is the cause of those dyno results. I've read too many posts of people who lose MPG and overall performance by doing this mod to believe it works on the Ecoboost air box. With the snorkel removed you now have a hole in the air box that opens up to the warm air in the engine bay and you also have a break in the opening to the hole in the fender well breaking up the flow of cold air into the air box. IMO, physically there is no way more cold air is forced into the air box this way.
And I know you had an EB how?

May as well stay clear of any of the aftermarket WASHOOBI's for the EB as well - the stocker looks to be more than adequate and does not require tuning to ensure it is safe.

This info is for '09-'10 trucks. For all I know this method is not applicable or necessary on a '11+ truck for any of the engines.

BTW - wasn't trying to convince you of anything - merely a link to some data ...

MGD

Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM
This mod WAS popular! Any updates of success with this? How about leaving the snorkel in, drilling an additional 3" hole and running a hose toward the front of the truck? Or donn through the shroud? This I might try to add additional airflow!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Its an easy mod and it cannot hurt for a motor to breath more coolo air!

I read a lot about Gott's Mod on the net and my twist came with some help from a car nut friend. (spent his youth at the drag track...)

I went the basic inexpensive route on the air intake... K&N filter in the in the factory air box. Then did the did the gott mod.

The twist... to ensure no water ingestion and to draw the cooler air from the fender well, my buddy suggested I get the F250 snorkel to ensure the air box is connected through the rubber fender skirt as it should be. I think 2008 to 2011 are the same air box on 150,s and 250,s and that is why he suggested the part swap...

Suprise... the F250 part is half the cost of the F150 snorkel ($8.51 Can. at Ford dealer!). The snorkel opening is almost 50% bigger in area (over 3.125 inches dia.) It fits in the stock air box, where you remove the old one, with a snap, no mods, can be returned to stock.

Reset the computer... sounds nice and throaty and performs fine after a week of towing and touring.
F-0nswifty...

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Did this mod to my 2010 about a week ago. I was getting around 14.7mpg and today when I got home, it was showing 16.2.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 PM
If it will clear up some questions, in my original post I noted I changed the 2010 F-150 snorkel for an F250 snorkel that provides a substantial increase in diameter and therefore airflow. An F250 snorkel is an $8.00 part.

Combing this change with the K&N stock filter replacement install, it is quick and easy. It is also easily reversable if reauired. The air is still drawn from the fenderwell as Ford designed it to be. No debris found in air box, no need to make plastice refit sleeves.

Performance ( while not scientifically measured) seems to have improved by 2 litres per 100 kms. At $1.34 per litre here in Ontario Can. , it is worth the try. ( 4.5 litres to the American Gallon... ouch!) It seems worth it. Some posters State-side have noted about 1.5 miles more to the Am. Gallon.

Our local Ford dealer is also a Ford Performace Dealer (SVT Cars and Trucks) and a Mechanic I spoke to there thought the gains in fuel economy and HP would be mosdest but no harm caused as long as you reset the computer to adjust for the increase in air.

I hope that clarifies some of the questions on this twist on the original gotts mod.

Cheers
F-Oneswifty

Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I did this a couple of months ago. Then had a box made to fit into the front of the truck where the license plate was. Connected it with 4" flexible pcv. Also added a K&N CAI, and Roush exhaust. Right before I did this I made a 4000 mile trip from OK to FL and back averaged 16.9 on that trip. Since then I average 17 in town and can get as high as 24 on the highway, depending on the wind [keep in mind I'am in OK so the wind is a big factor]. I already had a Bully Dog programer that you can run a premormance test with. I was shocked when I ran the truck comepletly stock to see that it made 280 HP. But the Bully Dog measures HP at the rear wheels instead of at the flywheel like most US auto makers do. After the mods the last run I did showed 361 HP. So yes I am a big beliver in leting your engine breath. And so is my dealer who not only said it would not affect my warranty and that he would love to buy it back from me. By the way I forgot to say I did this to a 2012 f150 fx4. After all of that I guess I am not smart enough to post pictures on here so I will put them in my garage pic's.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by F-oneswifty
Its an easy mod and it cannot hurt for a motor to breath more coolo air!

I read a lot about Gott's Mod on the net and my twist came with some help from a car nut friend. (spent his youth at the drag track...)

I went the basic inexpensive route on the air intake... K&N filter in the in the factory air box. Then did the did the gott mod.

The twist... to ensure no water ingestion and to draw the cooler air from the fender well, my buddy suggested I get the F250 snorkel to ensure the air box is connected through the rubber fender skirt as it should be. I think 2008 to 2011 are the same air box on 150,s and 250,s and that is why he suggested the part swap...

Suprise... the F250 part is half the cost of the F150 snorkel ($8.51 Can. at Ford dealer!). The snorkel opening is almost 50% bigger in area (over 3.125 inches dia.) It fits in the stock air box, where you remove the old one, with a snap, no mods, can be returned to stock.

Reset the computer... sounds nice and throaty and performs fine after a week of towing and touring.
F-0nswifty...
I have been reading about the gotts mod on this forum and others, but was concerned about not having a snorkle and pulling in hot air from the engine compartment. I saw F-oneswifty's post about using an F250 snorkel. Ordered the part from my local Ford dealer. Just completed the mod this afternoon. Thanks for the information F-oneswifty!!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
It would be great to get more follow up from anyone that's done this (F250 snorkel on '09-'10) especially regarding mpg/throttle response...or any positives/negatives that you notice.

I think most people are interested in mpg gains for the majority of their driving (under 3000 rpm city/hwy).

A few tanks hand calculated anybody? LOL

Not to doubt anything, but why wouldn't Ford have just used a larger snorkel? It seems with all the pressure for manufacturers to improve mpg that they would be the first to maximize the 'simple' and 'cheap' items.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by MarkV150
I have been reading about the gotts mod on this forum and others, but was concerned about not having a snorkle and pulling in hot air from the engine compartment. I saw F-oneswifty's post about using an F250 snorkel. Ordered the part from my local Ford dealer. Just completed the mod this afternoon. Thanks for the information F-oneswifty!!
Any chance you've got that part number handy?

Update: Part# 7C3Z-9F721-A

Last edited by felix1522; 01-21-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1, sort of.

I have an '09 STX. I can vouch for the above part number being good. However, the part about a simple, 15 minute job is NOT correct. I had a VERY difficult time removing the stock snorkel from the box, especially considering the coolant tank still being attached to it. Once the stock snorkel was off, everything else fell into place as it should.

Quick Reply: How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)