Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
No, but that K&N panel just might.

Fact is, that 12x12 factory paper element outflows the needs of the truck by a very large margin, keeps the air clean, avaoids potential MAF contamination, and may avoid any warranty 'finger-pointing' in the future.

Relacement filters offer ZERO perf benefits.

If you want to use a replacement reusable filter, try the Amsoil EA ones. Non-oiled. Folks on here seem to endorse those.

Yer call...

MGD
Haven't heard of the Amsoil EA filters. Do you know who carries them?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by shotgunz

Geesh ! Why so many different types ? Will those cone shaped one fit inside of the stock air box or do they make the flat rectangle shape like the stock ones?

I can see more research ahead of me now Grrrrr nothing is simple anymore :-)

Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks 'shotgunz'. Yep, I had gotten to that same page about 30 min ago but it didn't really tell me what shape the filter is. I'll have to assume it looks just like the stock filter. It says it made by WIX Automotive. Is that also owned by Amsoil? I thought it was strange that the ones on Amazon were in the $50 - $70 doller range and this site shows them for $24.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Grunthunter
Thanks 'shotgunz'. Yep, I had gotten to that same page about 30 min ago but it didn't really tell me what shape the filter is. I'll have to assume it looks just like the stock filter. It says it made by WIX Automotive. Is that also owned by Amsoil? I thought it was strange that the ones on Amazon were in the $50 - $70 doller range and this site shows them for $24.
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Fact is, that 12x12 factory paper element outflows the needs of the truck by a very large margin, keeps the air clean, avaoids potential MAF contamination, and may avoid any warranty 'finger-pointing' in the future.

Relacement filters offer ZERO perf benefits.

If you want to use a replacement reusable filter, try the Amsoil EA ones. Non-oiled. Folks on here seem to endorse those.

Yer call...

MGD
To offer a more wellrounded selection of automotive products, AMSOIL also offers high quality products from other manufacturers such as Twin Air, Donaldson and WIX. Recently, AMSOIL’s focus has been on the filtration market. The recently launched Ea Filter line includes the finest filtration products in the world for the auto/light truck market, and Donaldson covers the heavy-duty market. To complement the Ea line of filters, AMSOIL now offers WIX filters, allowing one-stop shopping for automotive customers. AMSOIL carries over 700 WIX air, oil, fuel, racing and transmission filters for automotive and light truck applications.
The ones on Amazon are for an A/M intake that suck warm engine compartment air (and money out of your wallet). As stated above (per Sir MGDfan), if you use the factory intake (highly recommended) you need a 12x12 panel filter.

Personally I'd stick with the $13 MC OEM and replace every 15k miles (if you drive on dusty/gravel roads) or every 30k miles (as specified by the maintenance guide) for normal service.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
OK, I'm understanding much better now. Looks like I need to make my rounds of all the local auto parts stores and see just what they carry. I know when I was at the dealer on Thur getting my oil changed they wanted $32 to replace the oem filter so I declined because I was planning on installing a K&N filter. Now that I hear the oem filoter is basically oversized then I think I'm going to back off on the K&N (kind of messy anyway) and go with a paper element, probably the WIX if I can find one. Around here we have 'Discount Auto Parts', 'Advance Auto Parts', 'Autozone', 'Carquest Auto Parts', 'NAPA', and 'Bennett Auto Supply' oh, and of course, Wally World :-)

Thanks again. I appreciate all your input.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Are there any negatives to doing the Gotts Mod to your truck? Any downsides?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
i just did this mod to my truck 15 minutes ago after reading this how to article. ill see what happens as i drive over the next week or so. right now according to the digital avg mpg on my 2010 scab im getting 17.2. hopefully this will inch up little by little. id be happy with 18 if it makes it up to there. so we'll see.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Any warranty issues with this? Will dealer void any warranty when you bring it in after modding it?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I don't see how they could void your warranty. All you're doing is opening up a somewhat-restrictive intake before both the air filter and, more importantly, before the MAF. Admittedly, the new trucks aren't nearly as bad as the previous generation in the restrictive-airflow department. I've been driving the truck, with the mod, for over a year now. I get the same gas millage as I did before the mod. Also, I use the dealership for maintenance, and they haven't said anything...though it is kind of hard to tell unless you look for it since the snorkel is so close to the side of the truck.

</$.02>

Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Well so far the same is true for me, i put on a cpl hundred miles since taking out my snorkel tube and after my truck reset and the digital average mpg on my dash settled back in to the type of driving i do and style of driving and such it really turned out to be basically the exact same as before the mod.
I was really hoping it would have helped out a little bit more. After looking at the snorkel tube i thought, heck this definately looks at least a little restrictive, i should add +1mpg from ditching this. I even changed my air filter at the same time cause it was pretty much due for it, but still, virtually no change at all. Oh well.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
how do you remove the sensor? I pulled the little red tab back that is underneath, but its not sliding off. I dont know where to pull at or how hard and I dont want to break the little thing any advice?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
also, how do you get the air filter housing back on the grommets? I would just like to know BEFORE i rip it off

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Just want to share my experience. I recently did a road trip (Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, & Michigan), and did the first leg (900 miles) with the snorkel in. Prior to heading back I removed the snorkel (I also reset the computer and drove around a full day with the snorkel off before heading back). With the mod, I lost just over 1MPG. I didn't notice any more power, so the snorkel is back in.

Quick Reply: How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)