Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bret. I haven't had a chance to swap out the tubes yet, as I've been waiting for warmer weather. I'll have to make sure to leave plenty of time if it's more difficult than has been said.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Would really like to get an update/response on the changes after the mod with the F250 snorkel. Sound, throttle response, mpg...anything else.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
going t otry this out

I just took a trip to my MIL house. It is a 500+ mile round trip. The cpu says that I got 16.6mpg for the trip.

I have 2010 xlt with 5.4 29,000.

I'm going back In 2 weeks so I will make this mod and I'm getting a new air filter
AEM 28-20385 DryFlow Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive AEM 28-20385 DryFlow Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive
and see if it helps gas mileage.

I will update in about 2 weeks. I might also get the F250 snorkel to see how that works.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 AM
2120 mod

i call this the 2120 mod. Take the snorkel out exactly how this post shows you how to do it. Very helpful. However, leaving your snorkel out will result in your airbox's vacuum draw to fill the filter box with garbage you dont want. Thats why it goes thru the fender wall, so that your tires dont kick stuff all up in there while its sucking in. The snorkel has holes drilled in it to help perform a miracle of physics called eduction. Eduction is the same reason why open doors slam in houses for no reason, and why big things draw air in toward them when moving fast. Think reverse injections. Theres only 12 holes on the snorkel. Get a drill and bit about the same size of original holes. I made 12 more holes in the same fashion as the originals. Then after i looked at it i added one more to each row. I went from 12 holes to 40 holes lol. The factory snorkel piece form fits too well to get rid of. It does serve a purpose. It sucks in the air farthest away from the engine and works as a crude filter. I can post a pic but i think its easy enough

Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
So I did this mod yesterday with a change to it. When I removed the snorkel I didn't like the gap the it created between the air filter box and the sidewall of the engine compartment. So instead of removing the snorkel I cut it at the largest part so that it still goes thru the engine compartment wall to suck in air from outside of the engine compartment. I also changed the air filter to an AEM Dry flow filter. I will be putting 500 miles on the truck this weekend and will post my results next Monday. I might even hand calculate the mpg and post both here.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
I had added an AFE dry filter. After a couple days of 150 mile round trips highway, Initially the first few days I thought I had a boost in mpg, but it didn't change.

Just throwing this out there (my opinion) not threadcrapping...so no reason to get mad ........

I'm now mostly of the belief that the motors ability to breathe is adequate for the motors needs. From what I've read from 3rd party (dynos) there's been no difference with performance filtering (filters, CAI, or no box at all) regardless what the manufacturers claim. I'd love to spend $10 to increase air into the motor with an F250 snorkel, but if it's more air than the motor uses, which is what the original design is showing happens when even when it's 100% stock, it seems pointless. The stock set up is not restricting the motors needs. Does it hurt? Probably not. Does it help? Not proven...just like all the other mpg gain mods. So be careful.

I'm absolutely not doubting someone that says their mileage goes up 2mpg, I bet it has. But I've noticed it's only a couple people out of how many? Why isn't everybody all over this? I'm sure this would make the 5:00 news.

I want better mpg/throttle response as much as the next guy, but reality is what it is. Mpg, throttle response, and sound...these are the factors with the intake mods. I wonder if the 2013's have a bigger snorkel as Ford becomes aware of it's improved performance?

Happy Easter you guys.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM
So after the change to the snorkel and the new AEM dryflow air filter I saw no improvement in gas mileage. Back to square one.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM
BUT...you might save a couple bucks over 40,000 on filter replacement

Any change in throttle response or did you at least get a manly-man sound out of it?

I posted somewhere that I've only seen tuners and exhaust mods with documented mpg improvement.

Last edited by GunnarzF150; 04-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by redfx4150
i made my own air tube from the box to the intake

but lost highway mpg so i went back to stock
how did you make this? What angle pipe was needed? Or where did you get it. Thanks

Quick Reply: How-To: Gotts Mod for 2009 / 2010 (w/ pics)