Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

F150 Rear Seat Removal 2004-2008 - MY WAY

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OLD VERSION

F150-SEAT-REMOVAL.jpg?t=1232255578

If you look closely, under the color illustration, it tells you the rear seat has been removed for clarity. But after reading your post....I realize it is slightly misleading.

It may "seem" that the illustration caption means the seat has ALREADY been manually removed. When in fact it means the blue tubular bar is the framework for the backrest, but the foam, leather and other seat components have not been drawn so you can more clearly see the release clips.

I have edited the instructions and updated them on the original post.

Here is the new version.

F150-SEAT-REMOVAL2-1.jpg?t=1234573332

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Nice! I saw someone put something like this up over at the other F150 forums a while back. It's how I got my backrests out. Originally I tried getting my hand behind like most say, but my hand is way too big for movement back there. Screwdriver in between was much easier!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 AM
It might have been me...I am a member there too. Glad to help.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I searched for 1hr looking for those latches. I even took out the bottom seat. I can see the latches welded to the round tube but cant find the part where Im supposed to push with screw driver.
'06 XLT Supercab

Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by subnoob
I searched for 1hr looking for those latches. I even took out the bottom seat. I can see the latches welded to the round tube but cant find the part where Im supposed to push with screw driver.
'06 XLT Supercab

An hour to find a latch that sticks out from the seat and should be visible from 3 feet away? I mean they are even visible in the photograph in my document....see the big red arrow point to the latch? My goodness.

As far as the screw driver....well I cannot do much better than a color coded 3D drawing..... Put the screw driver on the inboard side of the latch (in board means on the side toward the center of the seat)...literally touching the latch...and basically follow the directions from there.

Here is a photo with the seat bottom removed.

P2070129.jpg?t=1235010241

It is showing my amplifier rack, but it also shows the metal bar, the black plastic release clip and the latch. I have the black plastic clip taped with blue painters tape, because I do not want it to grasp hold of my seat bottom when I am working with it (at least until I am ready to reinstall the seat bottom for good).

The idea is that the black clip needs to be pushed directly toward the rear wall. So you will slip the screw driver between the seat and backrest...and put the tip of the screw driver right where you see this blue tape...and push.

That is as good as I can give to you.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Another picture for the blind:
P1200149.jpg?t=1235011115

Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 AM
Some people just cannot seem to figure this out...so I thought I would add ONE MORE photograph.

This photograph (the best one i could find to demonstrate) DOOEEEEESSSSS NOOTTTTTTTTTTTT have the seat bench or the seat back rest shown. Everything has been removed but the structural bar itself. Here you can see where to insert the screw driver. You MUST press down on the back rest while pressing on the release clip SIMULTANEOUSLY. Use this photograph in conjunction with the instruction sheet (posted at my link "How to Remove the Seat MY WAY thread shown above).

final-drawing.jpg?t=1238474996

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Thank u Thank u thank u. HAHA i have been trying to figure a way to get that seat out so i could put my seat cover on. Took me about 5 mins to pop that seat out. Very informative. Again thank u

Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I took the rear seats out of my truck because I was going to install a sub wall but that didnt happen. What is the BIG bolt back pass side?? That is a BIG LONG bolt!!! What is it for?

Jon

Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM

So many people told me this was a pain in the ***, it would take me over 1/2 hour to do it. But this thread makes it look REALLY easy, and thanks to those who posted pictures, it helps a lot! Now I can relocate my sub amp to the back instead of under the passenger seat in front of the foot air duct. In fact, now I can invest in a better system now that I have better access to better space for a big amp!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Just did it (as a nice bonus, discovered an 850W amp the previous owner had installed, though it's not currently hooked up). Hacked up my hand a bit the first time because, like others mentioned, it was easier to just shove my hand back there to release the catch. Would be nice if they just made an easily accessible catch

Old 05-13-2009, 04:42 AM
The way Ive always done it, is to use one hand and pull the foam and material straight up. Then just press the tab with the other hand. Its fairly simple.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I am extremely familiar with the seat, backrest and tabs/release clips now. But I still cannot release it with my hand. I can get my hand between the seat and the c-piller up to my wrist and then I just cannot fit any of my forearm into the gap and then turn my wrist 90 degrees to grab the release clip. I agree that (since no tools are required) it is the easier thing to do if you already know what you are doing.

I am just glad we have two methods instead of one. But it would have been nice if Ford would have put in a release pull string, tab or anything that can be access in less effort than writing books about it. LOL

Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Thumbs up Rear seat back removal

Your method worked great, kind of a PITA but it worked, there's no way I could have gotten my big hand back behind that seat, especially since I didn't really know what I was looking for. For those who haven't tried it yet, there are two "latch points" on each side of the seat, you need to work on the ones closest to the edge of the seat. You can't see the bar that the clamp attaches to, it's part of the seat frame so don't be confused when you see that the hardware is welded to a bar, that's not the one you need to work on. Get the screwdriver blade right next to and on the inside edge of the bracket, work it over the bar (all done by feel) and push in. May take several tries, it did for me. And you're not kidding, the hardware on the bottom of that seat back will destroy your seat cover, so be VERY careful. (I didn't have that problem because I just laid the seat back forward but didn't remove it.) By the way, I put a 1x4 next to the latch and twisted it onto it's side to help give me a better view of what I was doing, that seemed to help.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I think it's time to bump this up again. I just did it in under 5 min for my 1st time. Thanks ARC!!

Quick Reply: F150 Rear Seat Removal 2004-2008 - MY WAY