Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

2004 Window Regulator replacement...pics

Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine crapped out yesterday, 4/10/10. I stopped by Advance Auto Parts today and they ordered the part for me. Was $136 and change out the door. Should be here Wednesday. In the meantime I have a piece of 2x2 cut with a notch in the top for the window to sit in, then it rest on the bottom of the door framing on the inside. Should get me by til Wednesday.

The Advance part # is 741430, 2005 SuperCab, left front. Price is $124.99+tax and has lifetime warranty. The mfg. isn't on the receipt, but I think it was OEM Solutions, but not sure.

Hope this helps. When I get it I'll try to take a couple pics and see what differences there might be. Hopefully an improvement on the original. Might be a worthwhile upgrade if it's a better design.

Thanks,

David

Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Is it the plastic clip, where the cable goes into the motor, that broke? I've thought about taking all my doors apart and trying to wrap the clips with tape to give it a little more support, but don't want to waste the time if it's different parts that are failing.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Ok, so I picked up the new regulator/motor today and Advanced Auto Parts. Installed it as soon as I got home. Used painter's tape, 4 pcs inside, 4 outside, to hold the window up. 5 bolts and loosen the window clamps and it's right out of there.

The new one went in just as easy, nothing to it. Only issue was the polarity on the plug was reversed, so up was making it go down. Reversed the two wires and all is well. The clamp bolts on the new unit are different, taking either 10mm socket or large phillips screwdriver. Works for me.

My regulator wasn't broke at the plastic connector, but the actual cable was broken just above a "ferrel", I suppose you'd call it. Here's a pic:
Name:  P4140003.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  7.0 KB

Name:  P4140004.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  95.6 KB

The plastic connectors on the motor are reinforced substantially on this new unit. They're different connectors as well. Here's pics:
Name:  P4140002.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  P4140001.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  106.4 KB

As for the mfg., part #, etc... Here's the box label:
Name:  P4140006.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  47.1 KB

Like I said before, this is a lifetime warranty part. So at least if it does break again, you're not out the $136 again, I suppose. Just the hassle.

Hope this helps,

David Walker

Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Well let's reserve judgement on the Dorman/Advance Auto replacement. I just took the new one back. Rolled the window down last night and it popped just before it topped out. Thought "Oh s*#t!!!". Tried it a few times and no issues.

Rolled it down today at lunch, back up, near the top and it "Popped" and down went the window. Took it out and the cable had essentially backlashed on the motor pulley like a cheap baitcaster. It locked the whole unit up and things came apart. The little red "thingies" with the springs were extended instead of compressed like above. Appears to be some sort of safety feature maybe.

So Advanced has another on order for me, no hassles, just the PITA of unbuttoning everything again to replace it. If this one doesn't last I'm gonna try to get a refund and go with a factory part instead. Doubt I'll get my money back, but I'm gonna give 'em hell next time instead of being nice. But, hopefully there won't be a next time.

David

Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
is the assembly everything including the tracks and cables, or just the motor itself? Had this happen today and need to fix it! Thanks!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
is the assembly everything including the tracks and cables, or just the motor itself? Had this happen today and need to fix it! Thanks!
I don't know about any aftermarket, but the part from Ford includes everything, all assembled, you just have to take the old out and put the new in.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM
The aftermarket I put in mine is the entire assembly. The second one has been in for a week now and is working great. Hopefully it won't be an issue again. I think maybe the first one had a cable with a little twist or kink in it.

I paid more attention to the workings of this thing the second time I installed it. The springs on the red connectors sort of act as a buffer, it seems, to cushion the blow on start/stop. Not a bad idea I think.

Good luck with it, it's an easy fix. The aftermarket part does have a lifetime warranty and Advance had no problem ordering another.

David

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a 2005 super crew with about 90K miles. yesterdya the third window fell down . I got back on the forum hoping Ford was stepping up to the plate and extending the warrenty on these things... I guess not. this is not technology failure like perhaps you could forgive Toyota for being on the bleeding edge. Oh well other than this and the rear brakes not lasting its doing fine

Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info, I ordered the part from Rock Auto - hope it don't take tooo long to get here. Glad my truck isn't my daily driver anymore.

When my cable clip popped off, it sounded like someone had hit my window with a huge rock. After taking the door panel off and looking it over, I figured I would have to take it to someone but I got on here for a few minutes and saw how easy it was.

So far this website has taught me how to change lower ball joints, sway bar end links, and now a window regulator. Wonder how much money I've saved!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Same here Cannonball. I was gonna take mine to the body shop. Figure I saved at least $100.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
If you order from Rock Auto its a lot cheaper. I got mine for about $83 shipped. Should be here Thursday!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Cannonball,

Did you get the install done? How'd it go? Rock Auto has crazy pricing. I'm into that for sure.

David

Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Cannonball,

Did you get the install done? How'd it go? Rock Auto has crazy pricing. I'm into that for sure.

David
I got the install done with no problems at all. I did however run into an issue that someone mentioned earlier, but it was an easy fix. The plug on the motor was reversed (up made the window go down and down made the window go up). I just cut and spliced the wires back together and it works like a charm.

I highly reccommend Rock Auto - I ordered my part on a Monday and received it on a a Thursday (delivered to Southeastern Georgia)

Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Great. For future reference, you can stick a tiny screwdriver in the business end of the connector, depress the "tongue" and pull the blades out. Just swith their places and you're in business. The Dormans seem to be backwards, as both that I've installed were that way.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
mine went out 30 minutes ago.. this was my first stop. haha. now tasca to order

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Window Regulator replacement...pics