Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add my name to the thank you list for posting on how to solve this problem. I did mine this morning along with replacing a few other things and everything went very will. The instructions were great.

When I asked the service department about fixing this problem they wanted to put in a whole cluster. Then when I told the service manager about how to fix the problem he looked at me like I was a dumbass and said I didnt know what I was talking about. I cant wait to take it to him and say "I Told Ya So".

Brett

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Found my odometer intermittent problem to be caused in a slightly different spot than most of the others. On the small PC board that carries the odometer led chip, two of the chip contacts had never been soldered. By the way, it takes a T10 torx to remove this board. Thanks for the write up.

Jim

Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Thanks Greg

I am adding my name to the lengthy list of successful Odo repairs. My wife thinks I am a genius....However, I know I owe the genius to the pioneers like Greg who take chance most of us rather not.

I am selling my 2000 F-150 and hated having to tell a prospective buyer..."yeah, everything works fine except the odometer." The first thing they think is you are messing around with the milegage or BIG repair cost.

Again, a huge THANKS!!!

PS

90 minute repair time...Big Thanks to Girlwithtruck as no issues getting lamp switch out...It took me a little time to get the solder to reflow properly...but then again, I can count the times I have had to solder on one hand.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:25 PM
another satisfied forum reader

Thanks for the post. I did it in about an hour. Instructions are right on.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 PM
odometer repair

Originally Posted by Greg Upton
Thats the best offer I've had all year

I want to thank those that have posted follow ups on this thread. I'm glad my description was helpful.

Someone on another forum has described the same problem and repair: link
Looking at the follow-up posts there lots of people have had this problem. I knew this was a fairly common problem in the 99/00 model years, I just didn't realize it was that common.
I joined this forum yesterday,read this repair process this a.m., started the repair at 10:30, finished the reassembly at 12:30(only because my son had borrowed my soldering gun-therefore trip to local auto store(you fathers are familiar with this i'm sure) Just like clockwork. Will post in 1 week if there is no problem. Sure do appreciate the info-GOOD JOB!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Odometer problem - removing headlight switch

Awesome!! Worked like a charm! Buy the way guys to remove the headlight switch simply remove the ****, turn it 180 degrees, put it back on, turn the headlights on, and pull the switch out of the dash. When you do this it moves the clips out of the way and saves the fingers from getting sore.

Cheers!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:24 PM
dra
Thanks so much for info,mines now fixed

Old 10-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stuck!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockPick
Stuck!
Bout time.....

Now I can unsubscribe.....

Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Ok... so MY odometer fading only just got annoying enough to look it up here. As ususal, the fix was here waiting for me. I'll do this one this weekend. Just curious though, with all the people having problems with this, why has Ford not offered a TSB or a recall of some sort. Simply requiring their customers to pruchase the entire instrument cluster seems stupid!?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Darren

Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
ford odometer on/off

Greg,

It's been a week and a half since I did the repairs as you described for the Ford odometer on/off repair. Since the repairs were done ,it hasn't missed a beat. In fact, one of my friends who is not so mechanically inclined has the same problem and is coming over this weekend for me to do his repair.

THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO
mikezman16

Old 10-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Just want to thanks i am having the same problem i am going to tear into my truck tomorow

Old 10-23-2007, 06:24 PM
You can add one more completed repair : 2000 F150 XLT Lariat.
Fixed odometer three months ago and still working great..
Thanks for all the help !!!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Add me to the list too! Worked great but I ran into one small problem that I can't figure out...and I'm not sure what I did to create it! When the headlights/running lights are turned on I see two small, bright lights illuminated on the instrument panel. One in the area of the speedometer and another by the tachometer...near the km/h labels. I've never seen them before and have yet to find anything that tells me what they do. I'm guessing I've done something to change the cluster to metric but really have no idea. Any clues?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I think I've figured it out but am hoping that someone can confirm. The small lights aren't lights but holes that are supposed to hold pins that the speedometer and tachometer guages rest against. They may have fallen out and now the light from the bulbs behind are showing through. Can someone with a 1999 take a look at their instrument cluster and tell me if there's a pin next to the 100 mph and next to the 0 rpm?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair