Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in swapping your 4.6 to a 5.4? This thread lists several problems you may run in to. The most common are:

Read the full discussion below to find out how to deal with the common issues.
          Print Wikipost

4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          5.4 3-valve to 2-valve engine swap.

wondering if an 2004 3-valve engine could be swapped to a 2006 2-valve from a E-350 van?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 PM
          torque converter issue

Originally Posted by JMC
          Notes for 4.6 to 5.4 swap Part 1 Revised 04 April 2015
          Application: These notes cover the F-150 from 1997 to 2004 Heritage model years. They do not cover swaps to a supercharged 5.4 engine.

Before you start: All you are doing is putting a bigger displacement motor in place of your 4.6. I recommend you use your 4.6 ignition and PCM along with its engine harness.

Cylinder Heads: The following info applies to the F-150 and not any other vehicle engine.
          4.6 Engine: The 4.6 engine had Non Pi Heads from 1997 to 2000. The Pi heads were introduced to this engine for the 2001 model year.
          5.4 Engine: The 5.4 engine had Non Pi Heads from 1997 to 1998. The Pi heads were introduced to this engine for the 1999 model year.

Exhaust: The collectors on the exhaust manifolds are set at different angles and locations. The 4.6 exhaust might not bolt up to 5.4 manifold. You may need to have a muffler shop modify your 4.6 exhaust to match up.

Ignition: All 5.4 engines use Cop ignition. . 2000 and later 4.6 use COP ignition. 1997-99 4.6 engines use coil packs. It is easier to wire your 5.4 using the harness from the 4.6 and use the 4.6 ignition coil packs if applicable. If you use the 4.6 Coil pack ignition you will have to fab a bracket for the driver side coil pack.

Engine harness: To use a 4.6 PCM to run a 5.4 engine: The IAC harness must be relocated to the rear of the throttle body elbow. The oil sender wire on the 4.6 may be too short so measure or test fit the harness to see if it must be extended. All 97-00 and some 2001 4.6 engines use some sort of intake manifold runner control valve. Remove it from the 4.6 and plug it into the 4.6 harness and bolt it to the engine some where out of the way. Note; you can get a tune to remove its function and eliminate it all together.
          All 97-98 4.6 engines use an Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) and an Engine Coolant Temp sender. By the 99 Model year the ECT was dropped in both the 4.6 and 5.4 harness as the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT) was used for the PCM to monitor coolant temps. None of the 00+ 5.4s use ECT sensor or sender. Some of the 99 5.4s still use the sender to feed info to the instrument cluster. You will have to tap the intake manifold crossover pipe to fit the sensor(s) if your 4.6 has them and the 5.4 doesn’t.

Transmissions: the 4.6 and 5.4 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. That means that all the transmissions will bolt up. All the 5.4 engines have 8 bolt crankshafts. Some 4.6 engines (ROMEO ENGINE) have 6 bolt cranks. You will need the flex plate from the 5.4.
          Manual transmissions: If you don’t have an 8 bolt flywheel a flywheel from a 1997-8 4.6 Windsor engine will work. As it has 8 bolts it will bolt right up to the 5.4 crank. Remove the flex plate spacer and install a pilot bearing from a 4.6.

Special note about the different automatic transmissions and their respective harnesses. You cannot run a 4R100 transmission with a PCM that had a 4R70W transmission and vice versa. The transmission harnesses are different and will not plug into the different engine bay harness. The control functions in the PCM are not compatible so the transmission will not function properly.

Torque Converters:
          4R70W
          ENGINE............Stall Speed............Multiplication
          4.2..................1978-2330...............2.3:1
          4.6..................2105-2505...............2.3:1
          5.4..................1830-2190...............1.9:1

4R100
          All Engines......??????....................2.2:1

If you swap a 5.4 into a 4.6 engine bay and use the 4.6 converter you will multiply the 5.4's torque at a higher rate and at a higher stall speed which will put the torque at the transmission input shaft close to the limit if not over the limit of the 4R70W. The 99+ 5.4 produces 350 ft/lbs of torque. 90% of that is available at 2000 rpm. The stall speed of the 4.6 is above the 2000 rpm range so more than 90% is available. 350 ft/lbs x 2.3(4.6 multiplier) x 90% is 724.5 ft/lbs.
          I swapped a 5.4 from a 98 expy into my 02 expy that had a 4.6 after reading this thread about 1000 times. I rebuilt the 5.4 before installing it and everything has gone well but the 5.4 tc has a longer nipple than the 4.6 tc had and it sticks out past the bellhousing 1/2". This has been an 18 month project just working on it a few hrs here and there but im ready to get it wrapped up. I also have a tc from a 02 5.4 and the nipple is the same length. Im leaning towards just sticking the 4.6 tc in there and if it trashes the tranny out i may do a 5 speed swap next.
          Can anyone give their input on how they handled this tc issue?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:08 PM
          [QUOTE=bu ilti nbetter;51868I sdownd a 5.4 from a 98 expy into my 02 expy that had a 4.6 after reading this thread about 1000 times. I rebuilt the 5.4 before installing it and everything has gone well but the 5.4 tc has a longer nipple than the 4.6 tc had and it sticks out past the bellhousing 1/2". This has been an 18 month project just working on it a few hrs here and there but im ready to get it wrapped up. I also have a tc from a 02 5.4 and the nipple is the same length. Im leaning towards just sticking the 4.6 tc in there and if it trashes the tranny out i may do a 5 speed swap next.
          Can anyone give their input on how they handled this tc issue?[/QUOTE]
          I personally think the torque converter argument is incorrect. The 70 in 4r70w is not 700ftlb of torque, but rather 700 nm of torque which = 516 ftlbs. I think the 4.6 converter helps the 4.6 move the truck better with lesser engine torque. Considering Ford sold f150 ' s with a 4r70w and the 5.4, there is now way in hell they were able to engineer a trans to live or die by a 0.4 variation in torque. I honestly think the only reason why they put the 4r100 in F-150s is so that they could have the economies of scale they needed to put them into the diesel trucks bringing the cost of the 4r100 down.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:15 PM
          Originally Posted by white elephant
          I personally think the torque converter argument is incorrect. The 70 in 4r70w is not 700ftlb of torque, but rather 700 nm of torque which = 516 ftlbs. I think the 4.6 converter helps the 4.6 move the truck better with lesser engine torque. Considering Ford sold f150 ' s with a 4r70w and the 5.4, there is now way in hell they were able to engineer a trans to live or die by a 0.4 variation in torque. I honestly think the only reason why they put the 4r100 in F-150s is so that they could have the economies of scale they needed to put them into the diesel trucks bringing the cost of the 4r100 down.
          The way the specs read the 98 5.4 doesn't have much more power than the 02 4.6 anyway. I just figured i would put my issue out here anyway to see if someone had a work around.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:12 PM
          Originally Posted by builtinbetter
          The way the specs read the 98 5.4 doesn't have much more power than the 02 4.6 anyway. I just figured i would put my issue out here anyway to see if someone had a work around.
          Are you sure the difference in length matters? It didn't even cross my mind to check when I did mine. It could be a different length for all I know.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 AM
          Are you sure the difference in length matters? It didn't even cross my mind to check when I did mine. It could be a different length for all I know.
          Yeah becausei installed it and it would bind up the torque converter. It wouldn't let the motor turn over enough to let it start. I ended up installing a new tranny pump because i probably destroyedmine

Old 03-17-2016, 12:04 AM
          Yeah becausei installed it and it would bind up the torque converter. It wouldn't let the motor turn over enough to let it start. I ended up installing a new tranny pump because i probably destroyed mine when i mated the motor and tranny.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:37 AM
          Originally Posted by builtinbetter
          Yeah becausei installed it and it would bind up the torque converter. It wouldn't let the motor turn over enough to let it start. I ended up installing a new tranny pump because i probably destroyed mine when i mated the motor and tranny.
          Wow. That really sucks! Not sure what to tell you other than try a non oem converter.
          I know there was another guy who ran his 4.6 converter and had no issues to report, but I don't know how long he ran it. If you can find his post you could try to email him for an update.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:45 PM
          Alright here is my question i have a 98 5.4 block from my expedition , and i also have a 03 ford expo the my rod bearing just went yesterday. what do i need to do i want my 5.4 block from my 98 expo to my 03 4.6 cylinder head in my 03 to bolt up together .

Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM
          I have read and re-read this and many more articles on the 5.4-4.6 swap, IM CONFUSED.....pi heads, non pi heads pi intake,etc. SO heres my problem....
          everyone wants to go from 4.6 to 5.4 and needs to buy extra parts and such for the different motors, I have a 99 5.4 complete with blown motor, I have a 97 4.6 npi complete running truck with with a head gasket issue and title issues, and I have a 99 4.6 npi complete running truck purchased from an stolen auto recovery,
          I want to put the complete 99 4.6 npi motor,tranny,ecm,and full engine wiring harness onto the 99 5.4, AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK???????
          Please contact at chrismsavage@outlook.com or someone can text me ar 573-454-1606

Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          I want to put the complete 99 4.6 npi motor,tranny,ecm,and full engine wiring harness onto the 99 5.4, AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK???????
          Please contact at chrismsavage@outlook.com or someone can text me ar 573-454-1606

Simply put if you go from a 5.4 to a 4.6 you will be disappointed with the performance. You are going from 260 HP to 231 and 350 lbs/ft to 293. But it is your truck so....

If you use the 4.6 wiring harness you will need to look at the pinouts for the PCM, you called it an ecm, engine, transmission and bodyharnesses and compare it to the 5.4 harnesses to be sure that Ford did not change some of the wire locations on the connectors. The PCM will not properly communicate with the PATS in your instrument cluster so you will need the Dealer to fix that.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:10 PM
          Originally Posted by JMC

Simply put if you go from a 5.4 to a 4.6 you will be disappointed with the performance. You are going from 260 HP to 231 and 350 lbs/ft to 293. But it is your truck so....

If you use the 4.6 wiring harness you will need to look at the pinouts for the PCM, you called it an ecm, engine, transmission and bodyharnesses and compare it to the 5.4 harnesses to be sure that Ford did not change some of the wire locations on the connectors. The PCM will not properly communicate with the PATS in your instrument cluster so you will need the Dealer to fix that.
          I also have the complete instrument cluster and ALL wiring. I am led to
          believe that the wiring behind the dash and cluster would be the same on
          all of them, The steering column and that wiring harness has to be changed
          anyway due to busted ignition (repo with no keys), now being as I am using
          the 4.6 steering column , PCM, and engine wiring harness that has PATS,
          wouldnt that be fine? Oh, and I am using the 5.4 tranny and converter (both
          are 4R70W) , and the 4.6 exhaust.

By the way, thanks for your time.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 PM
          JMC
          Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
          Originally Posted by savageautosales
          I also have the complete instrument cluster and ALL wiring. I am led to
          believe that the wiring behind the dash and cluster would be the same on
          all of them, The steering column and that wiring harness has to be changed
          anyway due to busted ignition (repo with no keys), now being as I am using
          the 4.6 steering column , PCM, and engine wiring harness that has PATS,
          wouldnt that be fine? Oh, and I am using the 5.4 tranny and converter (both
          are 4R70W) , and the 4.6 exhaust.

By the way, thanks for your time.
          . I have never checked the pinouts so I cannot comment on weather they will be the same. I do know that if you use a 5.4 converter behind a 4.6 you will be leaving some behind. If you want to use the 4.6 then use its converter too.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM
          1998 f150 was wrecked but motor and transmission good. Using a 1997 f150 ext cab body, motor and transmission bad. Swapped the 1997 5.4 motor to 1998 4.6 motor. Used pcm out of 1998. motor works fine. Having problems with transmission. 1997 transmission was a 4R100. The one I'm using came out of the 1998, 4R70W. Using transmission wiring harness that was on the 4R70W. Having fault codes 0750 and 0755, both shift solenoids. Do I need to repin transmission harness. The transmission does not slip, it just won't shift. It worked before I put it in the truck, and using same computer that it worked with. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:00 PM
          Ok, sorry if this has been asked before (or close enough to it), but I plan on taking the 5.4L engine, tranny, and T-case out of my 2001 F150 (4x4, crew cab, Lariat) and putting it into my 4.6L powered 1999 F150 (4x4, ext cab, XL). What are some issues, and solution I'll have?
          - Should I be changing out axles and drive shafts as well? Or should those be the same/fine?
          - Should I use the 5.4L's computer and wiring harness?
          - Am I going to have to delete a lot of codes and what-notfrom the computer if I switch it as well?

Notes:
          - 99's engine has chunks missing out of the block and no OD in the tranny (partly causing the issue with the engine)
          - 01 has been in an accident. T-bone, airbags deployed, drive train's fine though.

Last edited by BigRedM38; 08-25-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 Swap Notes