What kind of bull bar or brush guard??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Umm that was NOT meant to be inflammatory at all . . . I'm 20, yes, but I've seen dozens of Jeeps with Smittybilt stuff on them that's several years old and they still held up very well. Don't have to be 50 to have been around lots of trucks and Jeeps, and accessories for them. That's ignorant. I can almost guarantee you I've been around a lot more of them in recent years than you have, considering the shear volume I'm exposed to. I'm not talking out of my ***. I've seen PC fade on the Westin steps, brush guards, etc. just like I have Smittybilt. My bull bar baked in the Texas sun for 1.5 years, which isn't long at all, but the finish looks brand new.

Very little of what I do to my truck is "cheap." I spent $1500 in parts on my all-304 SS exhaust because I didn't want cheap carbon steel, bought a Fabtech lift instead of a ProComp or RC, bought Nitto Trail Grapplers instead of junk Federals or even Coopers, paint matched OEM Harley headlights, have OEM tow mirrors, and buy only OEM parts whenever possible.

And the Nu Finish thing was a joke. Lighten up. I was not challenging you in any way, just disagree that the Westin was "much better quality." Better, but not twice as good. I've never had a problem with you in the past, so I'm not sure what triggered your little tirade, but I apologize if the language I used in my last post was inflammatory. In fact, I made sure that the words I used and the way I phrased it was NOT inflammatory and made it sound opinionated and not claiming things.

BTW, it's "you're like what," "their truck," and "they're more expensive." Guess you know trucks but still don't have your grammar down.
Keep on editing..

Old 11-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg150
Keep on editing..
I added stuff and then removed something so as not to get under your skin more. But too late and oh well. I'm done now if you'd like to actually respond.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 AM

I'll blame the grammar on my iPad.. What else ya got?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:56 AM

I'll blame the grammar on my iPad.. What else ya got?
Do you not want to read what I said? You must just get your panties all in a bunch if anyone lightly disagrees with you.

Experience comment - negated
Smittybilt quality knock - negated
My truck being cheap - negated

What else YOU got?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:59 AM

I'm done now if you'd like to actually respond.
kids.. Talk about panties in a bunch.. Now I'm done!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:03 PM

kids.. Talk about panties in a bunch.. Now I'm done!
Suit yourself. Attack me for no reason and then don't defend yourself when I refute all the no-basis comments. Guess you just don't like young people that aren't morons that know nothing, because you have to be over the age of 40 to know anything.

And iPads don't create their own versions of words, you still have to type them properly.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:22 PM

TheRealVirg,

I'd like to appologize for the derailment of your thread. It's unfortunate that it had to happen.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices that were presented to you and that you've chosen. There all nice bull bars and brush guards, some better than others. It all comes down to what you like and can afford.

Good news is you have a very nice truck whatever you decide to do..

Good luck and post pics when all is said and done

Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 AM

^ x2, very well said

Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Okay I have another question for you guys. Please, keep the negative comments to yourself, unless its actually constructive. I know you get what you pay for, but a lot of times in my own experience there has been minimal quality difference with stuff like this, and you just pay for the name. So, that being said, would this be a bad option? It's got a good price on it, but it's an off-brand, but it has the chrome skid plate which would go with the chrome bumpers and a flat, satin black finish on the bars. What are the pros and cons of this particular bull bar? I've included a link under here for you guys to check it out. Thanks again for all yalls help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATTE-BLK-BULL-BAR-PUSH-BUMPER-GRILL-GRILLE-GUARD-CH-Skid-04-14-F150-EXPEDITION-/390946011994?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item5b0632bb5a&vxp=mtr

Old 11-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Without knowing who makes it, I don't know. My main concern(s) would be the coating on it fading, and/or it being thin and flimsy (but I didn't stand on mine very often). I liked the Smittybilt because it was only about $150 and I trusted where it was coming from. Likely, worst case scenario you'd have to repaint this one after a while, which isn't a big deal.

Another member on here bought side steps from eBay and they got nasty and rusted very quickly (lives about a half hour from the gulf in Texas), and were flimsy. Granted that means nothing about this bull bar in particular, but it's something to consider. I like to know what I'm getting and prefer not to take gambles on parts and risk ordering things twice.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Without knowing who makes it, I don't know. My main concern(s) would be the coating on it fading, and/or it being thin and flimsy (but I didn't stand on mine very often). I liked the Smittybilt because it was only about $150 and I trusted where it was coming from. Likely, worst case scenario you'd have to repaint this one after a while, which isn't a big deal.

Another member on here bought side steps from eBay and they got nasty and rusted very quickly (lives about a half hour from the gulf in Texas), and were flimsy. Granted that means nothing about this bull bar in particular, but it's something to consider. I like to know what I'm getting and prefer not to take gambles on parts and risk ordering things twice.

Yeah that is what I'm worried about too. Only thing is, I live in southeast missouri so rust isn't a huge issue, and the truck is garage kept all the time so it won't be sitting out in the sun all the time. But I definitely see where you're coming from with the quality of coating. I'm gonna look up and see if I can find any reviews or anything at all out about this company.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheRealVirg
Yeah that is what I'm worried about too. Only thing is, I live in southeast missouri so rust isn't a huge issue, and the truck is garage kept all the time so it won't be sitting out in the sun all the time. But I definitely see where you're coming from with the quality of coating. I'm gonna look up and see if I can find any reviews or anything at all out about this company.
The way that ad looked to me, it seemed like it was just a company that re-sells goods. That's what most eBay stores/sellers are. Like they're just one of a few dozen companies that buys in bulk from China and then redistributes. The black and all-clear headlights are a good example of that.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:37 PM
The way that ad looked to me, it seemed like it was just a company that re-sells goods. That's what most eBay stores/sellers are. Like they're just one of a few dozen companies that buys in bulk from China and then redistributes. The black and all-clear headlights are a good example of that.
Yea your probably right, so quality most-likely is not there. Well when I decide, and install whichever I decide to get, I'll definitely post some pics up of it! Thanks again for everyone's help! Taught me a lot

Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheRealVirg
Yea your probably right, so quality most-likely is not there. Well when I decide, and install whichever I decide to get, I'll definitely post some pics up of it! Thanks again for everyone's help! Taught me a lot
Sounds good! We're here to help and offer opinions

Old 11-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to tell you that I got the bull bar and got it installed. Decided to go with the cheap route and time will tell if its gonna come back and bite me in the @$$ lol. It looks and feels like pretty good quality though. Will try to upload some pics for yall to see and tell me what you think. Can anyone help me figure out how to make the pics smaller on here? Using my iphone for the pics and anytime I try to, they are just huge on the page and its very annoying haha

Quick Reply: What kind of bull bar or brush guard??