painting bed caps.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
painting bed caps.......

I am assuming with all the work guys have done to rocker panels, etc. that the standard caps of your trucks have been painted or sprayed because of the dullness that comes with age. My standard plastic bed caps on my 04 are turning white and look like hell, anyone ever painted these before and if so, how did you do it. Pardon my ignorance if its a dumb question

I know the side caps can snap off relatively easily but the tail gate cap looks complicated. I have the bed of my truck lined so i wouldnt mind matching it up to a point.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First things first, painting bed rail caps is not a great idea. But as an cost effective alternative to replacing them, I would first remove them, wash them twice with a good hot soapy water and rinse well. Dry thoroughly and follow with a plastic prep, available at a body shop supply store near you. They generally smell like vinegar, and help to remove both grease, and the silicone release agent built into the plastic. Next is a light spray of plastic adhesion prompter (from that same supply store), and lastly with a spray paint designed for plastics. Multiple light even coats. At absolute minimum, do the hot soapy water thing, using a red Scotch pad to scrub them, and the "for plastics" paint. The other two steps in between are for insurance.

Another option is to find a place near you that repairs dashes. They can dye them for you, and probably offer a lifetime warranty against fading.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I bought after market smooth bed rail caps and a tailgate cap lip for my 08 limited f150. The parts are in the body shop getting painted to match my truck paint as we speak. I will be taking pictures when its done. Also, I will be refusing to haul anyone's crap when they are installed, as I intend to protect them from being scratched like how my factory plastic caps were. Just one of the many pitfalls of owning a pick up truck, everyone asks you to borrow your truck to haul stuff.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by drewsbu
I bought after market smooth bed rail caps and a tailgate cap lip for my 08 limited f150. The parts are in the body shop getting painted to match my truck paint as we speak. I will be taking pictures when its done. Also, I will be refusing to haul anyone's crap when they are installed, as I intend to protect them from being scratched like how my factory plastic caps were. Just one of the many pitfalls of owning a pick up truck, everyone asks you to borrow your truck to haul stuff.

I was hoping to put bedliner material on then so they wont scratch or scuff again.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM
just leave them off weld in some sheet metal in the holes for the caps and then tape it off and use the bedliner on top of the bed rails thatll make em smooth and theyll be protected with the bedliner

might take some time and work but wouldnt be too expensive and it would be different

Quick Reply: painting bed caps.......