new bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new bulbs

well i stopped by o'reillys the other day and got some Silverstar H3 lights for my projectors. i didnt really get to use them until my way home from fort worth, but MAN were they great. i still have to do some realign them alittle bit to get the best light output, but they are so much brighter than the original ones. now to change out the high beams!

anyone else have these?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
why did they make such a tiny bulb for such a huge application? I have those things in my puny fog lights. i restrict them to stricly DRL application now and i have them aimed up to flash drivers about their hi-beams cause i lost mine with HID.

its great that you upgraded though, I noticed a huge improvement over my stock GE bulbs that came with my lamps when i switched over to Sylvanias. i would recommend getting them over the internet, i paid $19.95/ea at Wally-World for mine and i found the same ones online for $0.99/ea a week later

its crazy what some people will pay for lights these days though, I found a simple red 3157 LED for tail lights selling for $195 each and people actually bought them! the same ones you get on eBay for $5!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
theres no way some idiot would pay that for a bulb. they probably forgot the decimal between the 1 & 9...$1.95.

well u cant fit a huge bulb in the projectors. read up on how it works. ur taking physics, or have taken it i hope, so u know how waves travel out from a circle. thats how the projector works. as the light passes through the concave of the lense, it is refracted and spread out, allowing you to use the minimum amount of light.

how do u like ur HIDs?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
well i stopped by o'reillys the other day and got some Silverstar H3 lights for my projectors. i didnt really get to use them until my way home from fort worth, but MAN were they great. i still have to do some realign them alittle bit to get the best light output, but they are so much brighter than the original ones. now to change out the high beams!

anyone else have these?
Any concerns with the difference in heat? Reason being, I have after market headlights/corners.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat only becomes a big issue when you use aftermarket bulbs with a higher wattage. Silverstars are OEM wattage and quality.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
nope. no difference. they give me better light output, and will last longer than regular sylvanias.

what kind of headlights do u have?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I was gonna be a smart *** and say that highs and lows are the same bulb, but didnt remember you have aftermarket lights with them seperated

on a side note i like the painted key fob. Did you do it yourself?
I might just have my buddy spray mine with some paint and clear after i take it apart. I need to put a battery in it anyways

Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
I was gonna be a smart *** and say that highs and lows are the same bulb, but didnt remember you have aftermarket lights with them seperated
yea i dont have the stockers anymore. but im sure i will end up eventually getting some L headlights with HIDs, or might just stay with ultras. they work perfectly fine for me, but just need to get highs like i said.
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
on a side note i like the painted key fob. Did you do it yourself?
I might just have my buddy spray mine with some paint and clear after i take it apart. I need to put a battery in it anyways
yea i did. it was one of those late night college things. u know what i mean. i really dont feel like going to sleep, so im going to find something to do. i had a bottle of touch up paint from oreillys that match my truck, so i went after it, brushed 2-3 coats on, and sprayed clear on it. turned out good. i need to go back and touch it up though.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
yea i did. it was one of those late night college things. u know what i mean. i really dont feel like going to sleep, so im going to find something to do. i had a bottle of touch up paint from oreillys that match my truck, so i went after it, brushed 2-3 coats on, and sprayed clear on it. turned out good. i need to go back and touch it up though.
I think it would turn out better if it was taken apart and sprayed on.... kinda hard to spray and buff really small things tho. Ill be sure to hit you up if i do mine tho

Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
alright. yea i thought about spraying mine, but didnt really feel like searching the world over for a spray can of paint that matched....so i just used the brush...

being silver, yours will look sweet.

good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 PM

I would so totally do that...

...if I had keyless entry in the first place

are HID's an option for your split-beam housing? Wouldn't that require two kits?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
im sure i could go either way. i think i might be able to find a hi/low kit(with a little searching) and just have double high beams for when people really **** me off. or just get seperate low and high beam kits. but that is a LONG way into the future. unless they make it to where everyone has to have HIDs by a certain date like the digital tv thing...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM

haha, that would be AWESOME! dual hi beams FTW!

I doubt it. I'm suprised new trucks dont have them yet. Mustang has then optional and I just now started seeing 4300K kits on stock '08 '09 Volvo semis

Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
shoot in europe, when i was there 1 1/2 wks ago, i dont think i saw a single car WITH halogen bulbs....i was jealous. even little for fiestas and ford kas had HIDs and/or projectors. i was P/Oed!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shoot in europe, when i was there 1 1/2 wks ago, i dont think i saw a single car WITH halogen bulbs....i was jealous. even little for fiestas and ford kas had HIDs and/or projectors. i was P/Oed!
are you serious?? damn sucks for us.....

Quick Reply: new bulbs