How do I wire an amp to my oem system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I wire an amp to my oem system?

I would like to hook up an amp and sub box to my OEM system. I have the Premium CD changer/tuner setup in my 2001 King Ranch.
Can I tap a signal directly from my R speakers(convenient)? If so what will this do to the resistance on these circuits I can purchase a hi>lo converter and install this before the amp.
How will this affect my (r) speaker power?
Help, please...
I also have a 4 channel amp I would like, ultimately to hook up to my 4 main speakers.

Lastly, and probably should have been the first query. Does the Premium changer system have any RCA outputs?

Old 12-16-2002, 08:38 AM
The premium HU does not have RCA pre-outs, so you will need a line converter (if your amp doesn't have one built in). You will have to tap into your speaker wire (rear speaker wire is convenient) for the line converter. I would not recommend powering the factory speakers (5x7's) with an aftermarket amp. The factory speakers are rated to handle 25 watts each. If you are looking for better sound you should look into upgrading to aftermarket speakers powered by an amp.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:53 AM
I have some 5 1/4" installed in the doors already. they are out of my last vehicle. Can I tap the rear speaker wires and use the same wires to power the r speakers and the amp? Or am I not able to use the r speakers anymore.
I hope that made sense???

Old 12-16-2002, 10:59 AM
You can still use the rear speakers, when you tap into the wire you are going to split the signal from the HU.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:22 AM
hey, thanx I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: How do I wire an amp to my oem system?