Amp Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Location

I picked up a used MTX Thunderform. I have a 97 Extended Cab. I want to munt the amp under the drivers side back seat. Is this a good location? Will it be easier to take out the rear bench to mount it up? How hard is the removal?

Thanks,

John

Old 12-03-2002, 02:04 PM
You want to know where to mount an amp to power the thunderform? What amp do you have?

Old 12-03-2002, 02:16 PM
2Trucks1Wife,

Yes. I have a Sony Xplod 1502SX 2 channel amp. I was thinking that I should mount it to the floor under the rear bench on the drivers side. I thought it would give it plenty of air circulation.

I just want a little more thump, not too much, and I thought this combination would give me what I wanted without breaking my wallet.

Any suggestions as I see you post in the audio section quite often? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm going to try and do this with a buddies help in order to appease the wife. Also how do the door sill panels come off. That is where we are planning on tapping the pseaker wires.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by JBRIII; 12-03-2002 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:54 PM
JBRIII,

I've got one amp mounted under my driver side back seat and one under the drive side front seat. Both locations seem to work pretty well but under the back seat is a little easier to work with.

I really couldn't tell you how to get your side panels off since my truck has the 4 doors and those panels were a piece of cake to get off. I've heard the rear panels of 97's were kinda tough to get off but I don't know first hand.

Good luck,
Bob

Old 12-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Found a very reputible shop here in town who will install for $60 plus any additional parts. I've already got the kit, so maybe just a little wire is all that'll be needed.

Too cold to work out in the driveway anyway

John

Old 12-03-2002, 07:49 PM
I've got 2 amps installed under my driver's side rear seat. One is mounted on top of the other with an external cooling fan on the lower amp.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:56 PM
I have a reg cab, so I'm not familiar with the rear seat. If you have room to mount your amp under the rear seat then go for it. If you don't have room you can mount the amp under the front seat. Door panel removal is easy (at least the front is). Do you have XL or XLT?

Old 12-04-2002, 10:07 AM
I found it easier to take out the back seat. I put my amps under the rear seat. One in the center and one on the driver's side. I glued 1/4" plywood under the carpet and used some small pieces under the mounting holes of the amps to keep them off of the carpet. I ended up having to raise my back seat about 3/4" with washers and nuts so that my sub would fit. Still looks good and is actually a little more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Amp Location