amp help installing upgrade to system

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy amp help installing upgrade to system

Hello.

I replaced my factory deck w/ an aftermarket unit in my 2002 Screw.
I also put Boston Acoustics Component speakers in all 4 doors mounting the tweeters flush in the soft vinyl door panels......I also put a 10 inch sub under the rear seat. I am powering the subwoofer with a Jl audio 250/1 amp....
The 4 component speakers in the 4 doors I ampowering with a JL audio 300/4 amp. The 300/4 can either be used as a 4 channel amp (75 X 4 like I am using) or flick a switch on the amp and make it a 300/2 2 channel amp.

What I was wondering was this.......Will I notice much difference in my 4 component speakers if I take my JL 300/4 amp and make it a 2 channel amp to power the front speakers and get another Jl audio 300/2
2 channel amp to power the rear speakers?

So I would have 3 amps in the vehicle. One 2 channel amp for the fronts; One 2 channel amp for the rears; and one 1 channel amp for the single sub.
Would I need an alternative power source? I don't have one now with my current 2 amp set-up.
Any opinions appreciated...

tim

Old 06-28-2002, 07:49 PM
I would say stick with what you have. The power the 300/4 puts out is enough to get any BA component set loud.

If you feel as though the front speakers are lacking volume you may try running the amp bridged to the front speakers and hooking up the rear speakers to the deck (if it has a built in amp). Your rear fill speakers dont need much power as you want them to complement your front speakers and not compete with them. A lot of people dont even use rear speakers (myself being one of them). A well powered set of front speakers is really all one needs along with something to provide the low end.

If you did add that 3rd amp you would most likely have to run another power wire unless they used 4 gauge or larger wire and ran it to a distribution block.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:31 AM
If you are still running the stock wires that are in the doors then you should get some better ones. I read that the stock wires are only good for 40watts RMS and maybe your speakers are not getting all of the power that they should be getting. If that is not the case, then if the comps can handle all of the power then you should bridge the front speakers and just use the head units power for the rear speakers. The increase in power would make the speakers sound better, but if they already sound good at high volumes then they should be getting enough power.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:18 PM
wattage of the components?

Check the wattage of the components. The speakers will only produce what the amp provides. If you want to use the full potential of the speakers, I would get an amp with the same wattage or slightly less (use the level control to adjust).

If the 300 amp is to small. I would sell it and get a bigger 4CH amp. It takes up less space. Make sure the ga power cable is large enough.

I would install a capacitor to help get the amps fed. Note it doesn't increase your power source. It job is to help keep a steady current to the amps.

I don't think you need an extra power source. Try it out. If you notice you do need, you can add a larger battery or extra (with a battery isolater).

Quick Reply: amp help installing upgrade to system