Amp on factory head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp on factory head unit?

I just upgraded my speakers to the Pioneer 3 ways. I wanted to get a little more oomph out of the system without chaging the head. I like the factory head and it's already setup with the six disc factory changer in the console.
I wouldn't install myself, but wondered if the folks at Best Buy would have to do a hatchet job on the harness or if there was maybe an adapter they could use without splicing?
Is this a worthwhile idea, amplifying the original head unit? I didn't want to swap a perfectly good, albiet low powered system, with one of the new "Disco" style heads and changers.

Old 09-17-2001, 12:20 PM
Talking Yeah, I would like to know as well!!

I have the same deal. New speakers, don't want to change out HU. Would like to add an inexpensive amp, say a Jensen, have BESTBUY install. Would this be OK?

Just want a little more power with a better sound. The speakers I installed are the Polk DX7.

2001 White SuperCrew

Old 09-17-2001, 01:17 PM
By all means, keep the factory HU.
Choose an amp with high level inputs or get a couple if line converters, so that you can run RCA's. I believe you have to splice in-my shop did that.
I have changed everything now in my L, except for the HU and CD and the sound is awesome.
I run factory HU to Audio Control EQX to Kicker 5-channel amp to Polk Momo Comps and Jl sub's. Boom Boom !

Old 09-17-2001, 03:44 PM
Get a line converter so you can hook your factory HU to an amp. They cost about 30 bucks and just about any shop will have them. I don't think anyone makes a harness for the F-150's receiver, but you can try looking through the online catalog at crutchfield.com. Otherwise you'll have to splice some wires.

Surfdog - where did you mount your EQX? That's a cool idea and I'll probably add one soon 'cause the factory HU just doesn't give enough equaliztion.

-boarder-

Old 09-17-2001, 04:16 PM
Jensen...anygood?

Is this anygood? The price seems good.

Old 09-18-2001, 01:14 PM
Boarder,

I have the EQX under the passenger seat (put jack in bed).
Since I am still making a few minor audio changes, I like to be able to lean over, pull the EQX forward and make adjustments.

It's a good piece for EQ, sets crossover at 90 HZ. and also takes care of your LOC's - I bought it off Ebay for $125.00 (near new)

Old 09-23-2001, 03:26 PM
Adding an amp / looking for Ironman

I want to add my Kicker 652 amp to my factory head unit because I like the factory 6disc cd changer, tape deck, and the ability to scan. I plan on doing it with a line level converter, anyone done this...does it sound good? Hey ironman, how do your polks sound? I have polk audio home speakers and they are an awesome speaker so I decided to upgrade my 6x8's in my 97F150 w/ORP with polk audios. Even better, Crutchfield is having a sale on them this month and with free shipping!

Old 09-23-2001, 05:12 PM
www.sounddomain.com has the adapters for the head unit. I however do NOT reccomend them. My amp is due in tommorrow which I have been waiting for for over 4 MONTHS!!! Very poor service, and I would NEVER do business with them again. But, there must be some other place that will sell these products.

Mike

Old 09-23-2001, 06:52 PM
What I did to keep from splicing into the factory wiring is get a harness made by Visteon that hooks between the HU and the current wiring that I could splice into. This way, if I ever take things out, I can just remove the harness and all wiring is original and no splices are there. I got the harness from radiosandmore and the part number is XU34-14588-AB. It was $36. I then got an audiolink line converter that converts line level to RCAs. I don't have any components yet, but I am running 4 Cerwin Vega 12's with a Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0 that simply shatters everything, almost even my topper windows. There was a thread on here some time ago with the installation procedure for the harness and splicing into it, but it probably has since been deleted or archived.

Old 09-28-2001, 10:11 PM
Thumbs up

Linetest, this is a link to the information I had posted before and the post dufunnel was referring.
http://www.fpage.com/rbaker/wire_amp-stock_HU.htm

Old 10-01-2001, 12:15 PM
MN-Trap, great post. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2001, 12:59 PM
www.davidnavone.com
Use 2 N-777 or N-7V units, one for front and one for rear.

Quick Reply: Amp on factory head unit?