Memphis or Lanzar???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Memphis or Lanzar???

I've had two quotes for an installed price for a couple of amps,and I need an opinion. $405,for a Memphis 3004 comp.,,not sure of the wattage ratings. The other is a Lanzar model 425,for $215,rated at total watts of 600. I was thinking of going with the Lanzar strictly on price,and that it has a higher total wattage(I do remember that much) Anyone got an opinion or experience with either amp? Both sounded good to me. I am just looking to replace my current amp,which has a blown sub channel,and upgrading at the same time. I'm not super-critical of sound quality,but it would be nice if it sounds clean,,,,,,98

Old 08-22-2001, 07:25 PM
Unhappy 16 views and no opinion? Thanks guys

Which one would you guys get?

Old 08-23-2001, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I would go with the Memphis. Though both are basically rated the same, the Lanzar you mentioned is the Vibe series i believe. This is the bottom line of what Lanzar has to offer. Not a bad amp, but not of the same build quality or sound quality of the Memphis.
Lanazar amp is rated at 600watts max. Actual is closer to 300 (4ohm) same as the Memphis. The difference is the manner in which that power is delivered. As the volume goes up, the Lanzar amp will run out of steam faster (called dynamic headroom). This is due to the Memphis having more capacitance in its power supply. Step up a level in the Lanzar line (Street series) and things in a bit more equal in performance

Hope this helps

Old 08-23-2001, 09:51 AM
Thanks ChuckM,
It was the "vibe series",or the newest version of it. That Memphis amp weighed a ton for it's size. That's usually a good sign when it comes to electronic things(personal exp.) Plus the guy was going to do a correct installation,proper size wires,decent patch cables,the whole bit. Sounds like a deal now,,,,,,,98

Old 09-20-2001, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lanzar Vibe

I have a Lanzar Vibe 400watt amp. I never had a problem with it. You are in such a small space that if you ever get above 250watts you will need medical attention. I have been building systems for 10 years and I have worked in the electronics field for over 7 years. If you never approach the max power of an amp, or enter competitions where they will use some serious equipment to to measure clarity, you can not tell the difference between a $150 400watt Lanzar amp and a $500 Alpine or Kenwood 400watt amp. You can get away with a cheap amp if you buy one with a larger wattage output than you need.

With the system I have now, I have had many installers complement me with the clarity I have using the Lanzar amp for the subs, and the NON-AMPLIFIED door and rear drivers I use.

Good luck in what ever choice you make, they are both good amps!

Old 09-21-2001, 12:39 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks,
I stilll have not decided on one or the other. I won't buy an amp til I get back home in a month or so. Both of them look good,but the Lanzar would be installed at a friends business. I think I may go that way just for the future
svc. from them.,,,,98

Quick Reply: Memphis or Lanzar???