What amp do i need

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What amp do i need

Just purchased a rockford fosgate punch p2 12" subwoofer in a sealed truck box (almost new used for 1 week) extremly cheap. I have never had a sub in any of my trucks before and need help figuring what amp i need. I would like somthing that could possibly have a dial where i can easily adjust the bass up front while listening. any suggestions would be greatly appricated. Oh and i have a pioneer 3100 series dvd touch screen head unit already installed dont know if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Is the sub dual 2 or 4ohm? If you don't know, they're may be a sticker on the motor or basket that will tell you. Otherwise you'll need a dmm to test and see what ohm load it puts out on each coil.

From there if it's dual 2 you'll either need a amp that can do 400rms at 1ohm or 4ohm, and if its dual 4 you'll need one that can do it it at either 2ohms or 8ohms.

As for the dial, some amps do have a remote bass **** that comes with them. And if they don't come with it a lot do have the input for one (looks like a phone jack iirc) and you can pick up a know for cheap, I think I have a couple sitting in my garage ha.

Finally, do you have a price range for an amp?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Price wise i was hopin to find a used unit or not spend a ton . Im pretty sure it has a dual voice coil or 2 ohm.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
If it's dual 2 then your cheapest bet is gonna be to find either a mono amp that will do 400rms at 4ohms, or a 2-channel amp that's bridgeable to a 4ohm load and can do the rms numbers.

Just check around ebay, caraudio.com, caraudioclassifieds.org, and any other car audio websites to find decent deals. But if you find something that's a decent deal before you buy it google it to make sure the amp actually does rated power, and isn't like rated at 500rms and only putting out like 200.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks man that gets me in the right direction.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Yea man no problem, and if you have any questions about certain amps or anything post them in here or feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to help.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Match the amplifier to the load of the woofer, but don't be cheap on power. For the sake of your system, get an amplifier that is capable of running more power at the impedance load your subwoofer is capable of. Say your sub can handle 200Wrms, get an amp that can handle more than that. This is for headroom. Headroom is matching an amplifier to the mechanical limits of the woofer rather than the thermal limits of the amplifier so you're amplifying more music than just sound coming from gain or alternator whine. Also, it doesn't matter the head unit that you have. It will have the proper outputs needed to accommodate pretty much any amplifier out there.

Quick Reply: What amp do i need