amp blowing fuses when volume is turned up on a long bass set.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i could always stick a resistor in there some where to make the resistance higher :P.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
ok so my ground is good its all clean and there is 14.2 volts going to the amp. and i played around with my head unit to see if that would make a difference. but i had no such luck. just as a comparison my friend has rouhgly the same head unit and the same subs the only difference is his amp and his box. and his system is WAY! louder then mine all together and i have apparently more wattage. so im not sure anymore. ive gotten myself all frustrated. i checked the manual and it says to use 30A x 2 in all operations.

my second thing is to get a higher impedance (ohm rating) if i wiring one sub in parralel and one in seires it will bring that impedance to 1.6 ohms those putting it in the middle. my intuition is that one sub will be that the sub with the lower impedance will be working harder given that its going to be having more power to it? correct?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
ok guys so i phoned kenwood and asked about this amp they said tis ohm stable not meaning to run it at one ohm. they told me to wire the subs to 2 ohms and when its played the impedance actualy goes down... aka once they are played the go below 2 ohms and the amp is ok to go that low.

therefore when played at high volume the impedance lowers and the output is higher given the alusion that the amp is actualy 1 ohm stable not mean to run it that way.

long story short i wil be exchanging the two subs for dual 2 ohm coils wiring them series parrallel making the total impedance 2 ohms allowing me to go down to the 1 ohm when played.....

thanks for all the help ill let you guys know how it goes.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by 99F150SSXLT
ok guys so i phoned kenwood and asked about this amp they said tis ohm stable not meaning to run it at one ohm. they told me to wire the subs to 2 ohms and when its played the impedance actualy goes down... aka once they are played the go below 2 ohms and the amp is ok to go that low.

therefore when played at high volume the impedance lowers and the output is higher given the alusion that the amp is actualy 1 ohm stable not mean to run it that way.

long story short i wil be exchanging the two subs for dual 2 ohm coils wiring them series parrallel making the total impedance 2 ohms allowing me to go down to the 1 ohm when played.....

thanks for all the help ill let you guys know how it goes.
glad you got it figured out. kenwood should be typing the specs for that amp differently...

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Still sounds fishy. I promise I am running my KAC9104D at 1 OHM at Infinity's* claimed 700 RMS, and it works fine.

Also, your buddy's setup probably has a lot do with the box. My neighbor with a smart car (I kid you not) has 1 10" Infinity Reference (275/1100) running on some no name amp at 300/600 and it is much louder outside the vehicle than my 2 10" Infinity Kappas (700/2800) running off my KAC at 900/1800, because of my down fire setup.

However, my system shakes his car when I am parked beside him, but you can hear his over mine when both are turned up.

The dynamics we have to deal with by using small down-firing boxes in these trucks pisses me off. My setup costs twice what a lot of buddies have in their SUVs, but of course their setup is louder. Its all about the box and air.

Now, I need a seat lift and 2 Kicker CVX 12's....

Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
yeah my subs are clarion 10" pxw1051 they are rated at 500 rms a piece. so that could be why plus my battery is old.

i replaced the subs yesterday fromt eh dual 4 ohm to the dual 2 ohm and wired them seires parralell for a total rating of two ohms its just as loud because of the cap on the one ohm and doesnt matter what i do to it now it will keep up.

i can turn it up down crank every setting i was doing this to try and blow it with no success. kenwood should defenetly change that specification because when i phoned them they said it trually wasnt ment to run high volume at one ohm but it was able to run normaly at one ohm but oh well probablem solved i guess

this way im the future i can buy another 2 subs and another amp and run them all at 1 ohm together lol

Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Well there's you problem!! 500RMS/piece = 1000RMS/pair!

The Kenwood is only able to produce 900RMS...so yes, at 1 OHM trying to pull more than the amp is capable of (i.e. HIGH VOLUME), something bad is gonna happen - most likely distortion, but the amp could be trying so hard to meet the sub's thirst that it pops some fuses.

If anything the amp might be capable of being more efficient than Kenwood states, and when pushing above 900RMS at 1 OHM pops those fuses.

I'm not an expert, but 1000>900. Headroom is your friend.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
yes i understand that tahts why i gave all the specs to begin with. my thoughts were if the site says the amp can produce 900+ at one ohm. the amp shouldnt be running trying to run anything other then what it can produce. the way all my other amps have been built was that it would cap its self. not to mention the shop i bought them off of said that it should be trying o run that because of the regulation cap on the amp. meh its fixed now. leasson learn to do some hard research not just spec reading when selecting the next system.

all i know is i should have had the pointed up instead of pointing in the seat for a louder system. my friends is in a properly ported box in a mazda three and we can hear him down the street. lol not to mention that his am pcan only produce 640 rms at 2 ohms and those subs we have are 1000 watts combined why doenst his amp blow? go clarion!

Old 10-29-2019, 11:16 PM
Blew a fuse yesterday

Deleted because this thread is really old!

Last edited by DTW79; 10-29-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: amp blowing fuses when volume is turned up on a long bass set.