Where do you put your amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haze, the back of the seat lifts up. its kinda hard to get out but a little force straight up on either side "pops" it out. then once thats out you can clearly see what bolts need to be removed for the bottom part of the seat. again the back just kinda snaps into place and out of place. good luck.

Last edited by r6racer; 07-30-2001 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:04 PM
Haze is your drivers seat power or manual. If it is not a power seat you should be able to mount the amp under the drivers seat.

In my 99 F150 I had the manual seat and I put my ADS 6 Channel amp under the drivers seat.

You should be able to move the wire enough to do the install.

Old 07-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 12Vrep
Compustar SHF-2W-AS
I am interested in the CompuSTAR alarm. With the pager and all. Does anyone knwo what I should expect to pay for this?

What is MSRP? I think it's about $750.00US

What have other people paid?

Any problems for those who may have bought it?

I was just quoted 950 from a local isntaller. Seemed very high to me.

Thanks.
/tg

Old 07-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I paid about $650 to $700 for a Kenwood single CD, Viper alarm with shock sensor and an extra pin switch for the tonneau, INSTALLED! There's no way I would spend $750 for an alarm!:eek If someone wants your truck bad enough, they're going to get it. An alarm is just a deterrent for amateurs after all. Sorry, just my opinion. My truck has never been broken into in three years, my previous unalarmed vehicle got hit twice in a month!!,,,98

Old 07-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Mount your amps were they can get some air circulation. I also strongly agree that you should definitely mount them out of site. If they are in an enclosed space then route some small flexible air duct to and from the area and blow air using some small muffin type fans from radio shack or www.partsexpress.com .

It always makes me laugh... these cheap amps with the plexiglass windows, huge volt meters, fancy neon, flashing LED's, etc. Gimme a break. All I want is a metal brick that pumps out the watts (rms not peak) with plenty of cooling fins and a size that will fit under a seat, etc. After all, you're not looking at it while you drive just listening.

I'm looking at some system upgrades soon and will be using the driver and passenger underseat areas. I'll probably have to move my 10cd changer which is under the passenger seat right now.

Old 08-04-2002, 04:27 AM
um dude, have you thought about lifting your seat? go to http://www.lmiwelding.com/ and get a 3" lift kit for the seat. I've got that setup with 3 amps, a cap, and distribution block mounted to the top of my enclosure. I've had them there for about a year with no heat problems.

BTW- the fosgate amps get a little warm, but not objectionably... although they're going to be replaced with an alpine MRD-M500 V12 series within the next couple of weeks.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Ruune once the seat is lifted does it cause there to be alot less room in the back seat for head room or is it really not that different?? Also did you build that box it looks really good from the pics.

Later.....

Old 08-05-2002, 01:28 PM
well, I'm about 5'9" and I dont have any problems. I've had people back there that are 6 foot plus, and they seemed to be able to sit up. One thing it does though is keep your knees out of your chest.

As far as the box, I bought it from Xtreme sounds in austin, but it appears to be the subbox.net dual down 10" -but covered in charcoal carpet.

Old 08-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Is it sturdy and secure once the seat has been lift or is it a little less stable , what all comes in the kit and how long did it take you
to do this install of the seat lift?

Later...

Old 08-05-2002, 01:53 PM
actually, its extremely sturdy... everything is reinforced and I've had 3 people back there. Just be sure you use loctite because the vibration from the subs can start to work things loose.

As for time, it took me about 3 1/2 hours, but that was because they sent me the wrong kit (97-98 style rear seat brackets) and I opted to do some cutting to make it work and align the joint where the two seats meet. With the proper kit, it would take about an hour.

Old 08-05-2002, 02:15 PM
What all comes in the kit??? and what tools are required if you remember.

Later....

Old 08-05-2002, 02:32 PM
did it about a year ago, but you'll need a PAIR ratchets with a torx bit and various sockets. A mid-sized crescent wrench is always a good thing to have within reach too.

what comes in the kit... lets see if I can remember.
mounting points for the outside brackets... should be 4 pieces- two bolts for the bottom/front on each side and one bolt for the top/rear just under the seatback. ('97-98 models have 2 pieces with 3 bolt holes each)

angle bracket for mounting the split in the bench

3 C-shaped brackets for raising the seatbelt buckle mount

associated mounting hardware.

instructions (for all you girly men)

Last edited by Ruune; 08-05-2002 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your help ruune.....

Old 08-05-2002, 04:21 PM
no prob... let me know how it goes, and be sure to post some pics. :-D

Quick Reply: Where do you put your amp?