New Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Installation

Hey guys,
though I would drop you a line to get your opinion. I received my custom box and amplifier today. I have a 97 XCab. I went with an unloaded MTX Thunderform 2x8 ($229) and a MTX 4250D Class D monoblock sub amp. The only think left is the speakers 2 JL 8W0s. I'm going to wire the speakers in a parallel configuration to drive the amp at 2ohms. Anybody heard a similar configuration?

I'll let you know how it sounds. The complete system should be set up by July 3.

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------
Thanks.
- Jay

Old 07-01-2001, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a nice setup. I think you will like the sound. The JL's are great sounding speakers and the MTX will pound them nicely. Good luck and let us know how it works!

Old 07-14-2001, 07:00 PM
Well,

Everything is installed and hooked up. The system:

- Pioneer DEHP6000 CD Head Unit
- Stock front & rear speakers
- 2 JL Audio 8W0-4
- MTX 4250D Mono Subwoofer Amp
- MTX Thunderform 97-99 Extended Cab F150 (Unloaded)
- Monster Cable Interconnects

To be honest, I was extremely shocked at the low frequency extension. I'm not a basshead but I do have some music that will test your subwoofers (DJ Magic Mike, Techmaster, etc.). I can honestly say that it does not sound like 2 8's. My only trouble so far is my truck rattling a bit, but it doesn't do it with normal music, only BassHead music. I will try to get some pics up soon. I would recommend this setup to anyone with a 97-99 Extended cab F150.

Total cost was about $765 without the head unit. I purchased it a long while back. I did the installation myself. My only suggestion would probably be that you could save some money on the amp. I really didn't need a Class D sub amp but you never know what you may get into in the future. My amp is rated @ 250x1 @ 2 ohms at 12.2 volts, reaching 350x1 with 14.4 volts. The subs only handle about 75 watts, so the levels on the amp are turned down. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: New Installation