Calling Silver X

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Calling Silver X

Very, very nice Expedition !
My wife has one but it is our kid-hauler, so it is stock.
I saw your post on keeping the stock head unit and I really like the idea. With that in mind I am in the process of putting in some equipment in my 2001 Lightning and wanted to ask your advice on amps.
I have already purchased (2) JL 8" Microsubs ( ea. 100w 4ohm, very efficient)
and will buy a set of components for the doors in the future (have Polk DB7's in now).

As for the amp(s) I am still very undecided. I was thinking of (2) amps- one PPI PC 1400.2 (single channel 200w. x 4ohm) for the sub's and one PPI PCX280(2-channel 80w.x 4 ohm) for the comps ($ 540.00 total) On the other hand, I like the simplicity of a 5 channel amp like the Kicker IX504 ? with one channel Class D for the subs.

Price is not really an issue hear, i am just looking for a good reliable system for personal in-cab listening- Gotta Crank the Alternative music once'n a while though.

Any comments much appreciated !

Robert
In all honesty, I am going totally by what I have read in the last (3) weeks and do not have any idea how it all will sound
($ 379.00)

Old 06-05-2001, 04:40 PM
I have heard PPI amps before and they are nice. Never heard the kicker amps though. But I would recommend PPI.

Though how are you wiring the subs? Are they DVC or SVC? The reason I ask is because if you run the 2 subs (SVC's) off of a single channel you are going to have to either wire the in series or in parallel. In series the 2 will present an 8ohm load or parallel a 2ohm load. I'm pretty sure the PPI could hanlde that but before you buy an amp make sure it could handle those loads fine.

And just because you have kids is no reason to keep you Expy stock.

[This message has been edited by captainoblivious (edited 06-05-2001).]

Old 06-05-2001, 04:59 PM
Captainoblivious,
I was planning to run the sub's in parallel, 2 Ohm. Both PPI and the kicker would work fine (probably more than enough power from either amps).
'I hear you on modding the Exby. It would be nice, but the Lightning is going to get the $ $$ for a while.

Old 06-05-2001, 09:41 PM
Well, here is my opinion. PPI amps are great, but I'd go with Kicker. The JL subs kick butt, but for 8's I like the Kicker 8inL7's. I put 4 Audiobahn 8's on a speed boat and they ripped BUT the JL would have been better and the Kickers would have been my personal choice BUT the JL an L7's are twice the price if not more then the AB's (and that's even at cost). The Kicker 5ch is great with the Class D for subs. If room is a big issue then the Kicker would be my first choice in 5 ch amp next to the Alpine Class T 5ch. I like to use seperate amps though, and a class D for subs so then the PPI are just fine. The Polk's are nice but if money is no object I'd get Boston's.

Also definitly look into adding a Bass Driver for the subs, you won't regret it and it's not costly at all, but I know money is not the issue. My personal favorite is the Audiobahn ADB39. Just some food for thought.

My truck is also my family hauler, 3 1/2 year old and 11 month.

------------------
My truck at:

http://www.streetscenemag.com/ViewOw...?ProfileID=202

Old 06-06-2001, 08:59 AM
Silver X,

Thank you for the reply.
I am still learning.....What does the bass driver do for you ?
How much have you seen the Alpine MRD-F752 go for ?
I was leaning towards the Diamond 561 comp's for the front.

Quick Reply: Calling Silver X