AMP Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AMP Questions?

Hi, I need some advice. I understand 2 channel, 4 channel, and have a reasonable idea of 5 channel. But I have some questions. I would assume, correct me it this is not true, that a 4 channel would accept the 'Fade' for front to back, and the 'Balance' for left to right signals from the existing HU. I have the CD and the Xcab by the way. What do you do later if you want to add a woofer. Do you parallel to the two rear speakers off channel 3, and the woofer off channel 4. Do the amps have built in low pass filters so you only feed the low end to the woofers. Should you even bother with balance control between the two rear speakers. Or is a 5 channel the only way to go.?

Also, where do you buy the connectors to go from the factory wiring behind the radio to some kind of plug with loose wires to feed the amp, and then from the amp back to the factory plug?

Old 04-19-2001, 06:24 PM
I'll take a stab at some of the questions, but you can get a lot of info at some of the car audio sites, like www.crutchfield.com

You will have more flexibility and better sound quality when wiring up your amp if you start with an aftermarket head unit that has 'pre-amp' outputs with RCA jacks that go straight to the amp. You can use the stock HU, but the type of adaptors (if any) you need may depend on the input options of the amp. Different amps have different input arrangements, but most will still require you to get RCA lines into the amp, so you are adding adaptor costs and wiring complications by sticking with the stock HU.

Most 2 and 4 channel amps will require 2 channels to be 'bridged' or combined to power a sub. Since the rear speakers are pretty much irrelevant, it is cost effective to go with a 4 channel amp instead of a bigger, more expensive 5 channel.

Or you can get 2 x 2 channels, or a 2 channel plus a single channel sub-specific amp. Either way, drive the rear speakers off the head unit. It is going to be tricky to drive the rear speakers and sub off of the rear channels from the stock HU, but there are probably ways to do this. Again, replacing the HU saves a lot of time, aggravation and wiring/adaptor costs.

Without a sub but using a 4 channel amp driven by the stock HU, the fader and balance should work fine if you wire it up right.

If you replace the HU and plan on getting a sub, a big advantage to having a 'non fading' pre-amp output from the head unit to the sub amp is that you can independently alter the volume of the sub without messing with the fader. It is a nice feature.

You can get little adaptors that will plug into the wierd Ford speaker conections so that you can re-use the portions of the speaker wire that are already in the doors. If you buy through Crutchfield, they will give you installation goodies like that for free, as well as installation instructions specific to your truck.

Good luck - a little research now will save you lots of time and trouble later.

Old 05-07-2001, 11:37 PM
Question

Just wondering DB Dave, I'm thinking more on the lines of Haze. I plan on keeping the HU (S'Crew) w/ the 6 disk changer and using a 5 channel amp (Sony, 40 x 4, 150 x 1) with speaker line inputs. I'll also replace the stock speakers and add a subwoofer under the rear seat. That way the fade and balance on the HU will adjust the four speakers and the bass control on the HU will control the subwoofer. Plus with the built in crossover, I'll be able to take out the bass on the four speakers and send it all to the subwoofer. Likewise, the high end will be taken out of the subwoofer. Right?

Old 05-08-2001, 04:24 AM
Grumps, you are correct. a couple of suggestions. Buy the optional sub level control. this will give you volume adjustment over the sub. yes you can use the "bass" control, but it is centered at around 100Hz and you will barely be in the range of the sub if at all. also, I would use a DVC sub or even a pair as the sony is rated to handle a 1 ohm load, make the most out of it and use its available power. for the wiring, that is one thing i do like about the sony is the speaker-level inputs. If you have any other questions, post em up here. I love to help

------------------
97 F-150XL 4.2V6, 5 spd, 2wdlb, Kenwood cd, MTX 4ch amp, MTX 12"sub, MTX components in doors

Future 16x8 Daytona wheels, 265/75 tires, rhinoliner, perf stuff

Old 05-08-2001, 10:31 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Chuck. Just one follow-up. Is the sub level control a separate piece, or is it optional with the Sony? Does the lever go in the dash? This would also be handled by the sub gain on the amp, right? How do you work out a remote for this?

p.s. I'm not looking for earth shattering bass. I just want to separate it, not pound the pavement. I'm thinking of going with the 10" sub at subbox.net with their stock sub, rated at about 150 watts. I'll leave the ohm setting at 4 as well. I don't listen to anything heavy, and certainly no rap.

[This message has been edited by Grumps (edited 05-08-2001).]

Old 05-08-2001, 01:17 PM
Grumps,
Glad I could help. the bass level control is a **** (optional depending on which model you get) that mounts in the front. It is connected with what basically looks like a telephone cord. This will allow you to control the volume of the sub. I'm not sure if the sony has a seperate gain for the sub on the amp. I would still recommend a dvc sub as you really want more power to the sub. More power doesn't always give more power, but more power will give better SQ.

------------------
97 F-150XL 4.2V6, 5 spd, 2wdlb, Kenwood cd, MTX 4ch amp, MTX 12"sub, MTX components in doors

Old 05-10-2001, 09:55 AM
Chuck, can you recommend a 5 or 6 channel amp, best quality for least money, that would run the system. The volume control on the woofer sounds good, any amps you can recommend that have it also.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:31 AM
there are a lot of good amps available. i am partial to MTX. Sony, hifonics, memphis belle (very good, but kinda big). PPI, soundstream, autotek, jensen. all depends on how much you want to spend. some do have the sub level control, some don't. If you are replacing the factory deck, you might want to replace it with one that has 3 sets of RCA outputs. that will give you front/rear/sub outs

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 05:36 PM
Chuck, what do you think of the Orion line. Their cobalt is attractively priced and gives 5 channels? After that, how about MTX, and Sony. How would you rate them. The Memphis products appear to be only available from store fronts and not the web. Do you know anywhere on the web to buy them. I would do this job myself.

Old 05-12-2001, 11:47 PM
haze 10
been awhile since I have used Orion, but they are very good quality all the way around. the cobalt line is good, but not competion quality. For most of us they are great, even spectacular. I am partial to MTX as their service has just been fantastic for me. I have used and abused their stuff for years and have only had 1 amp go out. they replaced it without a prob. I have had subs that were 8 years old, abused them with over twice their rated power, and they are still working in my bro's car today.
I am getting more and more impressed with Sony's new amps. I am not wild about the XPLOD look, but the specs and features are great. I would use their 5ch without a prob. Try to find somewhere that you can compare the amps side by side if possible. It can be hard finding Memphis equipment. I only know of 1 place locally that can get the stuff and he doesn't really know anything about what he has. The memphis belle is not cheap or small 26" I think, but man does it have power 75w x4ch and 300wx1(1100wx1 @1ohm). Hope this helps. try poking around e-bay for these amps. Crutchfield carries MTX and Sony.

------------------

Quick Reply: AMP Questions?