Amp stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Amp stopped working

I have a sony xm604eqx amp that has been fine up to today, I installed an mxt sub box it played for 30 sec than bam no sound or lights. Checked all connections fuses. Is there something I can do.It has all power to it and good ground. Its a 4 channel so what I did is put the 4 door speackers on the front and the sub on the rear.

Old 01-30-2001, 08:57 AM
Fixer,
So let me get this straight. You put the 4 door speakers on the front 2 channels, and then bridged the rear 2 for the sub? Is that correct? Depending on the way you wired the front 2 channels, whether the speakers were in series or parrallel you may have pushed the channels too far. How did you wire the channels? Once you explain how exactly you have your system set up I can give you a better answer on what most likely happened.

------------------
00 Black Lightning
JL Flip chip, PSP filter kit No ET's yet
00 Honda Civic
01 Pontiac Grand AM GT

AIM: jakeowen22

Old 01-30-2001, 09:09 PM
What I did snake was put all door sprackers on the front. pos to pos and neg to neg on the screw term. two on each term. Thats how the kid told me to do it where I bought the box. But I was just talking to someone else and they told me to loose one set of the door speakers on the amp. I don't know what to do. I have the amp iin the shop now.

Old 01-31-2001, 03:43 PM
Fixer,
I am not sure of what ohm level your door speakers are but your amp may not have been 2 ohm stable on the front channels. I think when you went pos. to pos. on both speakers to one of the front channels on the amp you reduced the load to 2 ohms. This may have been okay if you had bridged the 2 rear channels to power the sub, but I am unsure if your amp could handle it. I looked at your amp on Crutchfield and am still unsure why it happened. Maybe it didn't like you pushing 2 ohms to the front 2 channels and bridging the rear. Who knows. Tell me what the shop says. Thanks.

------------------
00 Black Lightning
JL Flip chip, PSP filter kit No ET's yet
00 Honda Civic
01 Pontiac Grand AM GT

AIM: jakeowen22

Old 02-10-2001, 11:38 PM
Snake,
The shop said it had a cracked main pcb board, it cost 90.00 to fix cheaper than replacement

Old 02-12-2001, 07:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Wow,those subs must have been hitting hard ,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!
Had to take the picture out,it was way too out of date,,,,98

Old 03-01-2001, 07:45 PM
well common sense would say that u put too much stress(too low of and ohm impedance) on the amp if u put 4-4ohm speakers wired 2pos 2negatives that right there is like bridgeing 2 speakers on each channel; which puts the amp already at a 1/2 ohm load. then on top of that u put a sub bridged. so there u r takin say a 4 ohm sub and brigin it which puts it down to a 2ohm load on top of the already 1/2. which basically breaks down to sayin. 2+1/2= 1/4ohm and i know good and damn well a sony amp cant handle that kind of stress. so fix the amp and wire JUST the doors or JUST the sub. and dont be so stingy to buy another amp.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:34 PM
Fixer with what i understand, you are running your front and rear speaks in parellel. If you are using aftermarket speaks, they will be 4 ohm. running 2 pairs in parrellel (pos to pos, neg to neg) will create a 2ohm per channel load. the sony is more than up to that. bridging the rear channels to a single sub will create a mono 4 ohm load if you are using a 4 ohm sub. I would not recommend using a dual voice coil sub on this amp, especially bridged. A mono 4 ohm load is the same as a stereo, 2ch 2ohm load. Other areas to look at: Is the amp getting enough air?, Is the power and ground wires of sufficient size? This amp needs 8 gauge power and ground wire to keep it happy and safe.

Old 03-02-2001, 08:15 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the help. The problem was a cracked board inthe amp. Not even anything to due with the hook up. $70.00 to fix but cheaper than an new amp.

Quick Reply: Amp stopped working