The Amp Wars.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The Amp Wars.....

I have recently purchased one of the new Rockford Fosgate amps, specifically a 360.2 punch. This was to replace and upgrade an older Fosgate amps, the 150HD. I noticed immediately that the weight of the 150HD was MORE than the 360 after those "wings" were removed and this was a givaway of the results in comparing the two amps. This amp is only driving a sub, a single JL 10", set up from a head unit which delivers a 4 volt signal. The head unit is a Clarion 9375 (one great unit).
Anyway, the 150HD has been a pounder for me quite some time and usually was setup at a low gain and the bass **** turned to about 80%, with a crossover point at between 80-100 hz controlled through the head. When I changed to the 360 with the same settings, it was like the sub wasn't even on. I found myself turning up the gains, which of course, falsely sets the incoming sensitivity as if the head was putting out less volts that it is and then found that I was increasing the bass curve to pound as I wanted. The results appear to say the 150 has more "guts". This makes me wonder how big I would have to go to find an amp with the punch of the 150?
Any of yall who have had similiar findings between the "older" stuff and the "newer" stuff, let me know.

------------------
Very Bright RED '97 F150XLT, SC, flareside,4x2,ARE lid, tints, 4x4 front bumper w/fogs, Hyper Headlights, shield, 2" rear drop, Monroe gas-shocks, slash duals, K&N, Pirelli S/T Scorpions, Viper alarm, Clarion, Fosgate, Soundstream and more....

Old 02-22-2001, 12:09 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but there is one factor that MAY somewhat equalize the two amps. (Your mileage may vary...) A lot of older amps were optimized for about 2 volt inputs. Most of the newer ones take 4 volt input, and I saw one that advertised up to 8 volt input. Thus, the gain would appear to be turned higher, but may actually be the same. The higher voltage should increase the signal to noise ratio if you use long cables.

Old 02-23-2001, 07:00 AM
You're right about gains being a part of the problem. Yes, I considered the input volts being different when I installed the new one but still it appears the 150 is just stronger. My head unit is a 4v output and the new RF amp is variable to 4v. It gets kinda "ratty" when turned past 75%. The old 150 is variable to 2v I think.
I have an update on comparisons to consider. I just changed out the 10" sub for a 12" in a larger box, built to RF specs and again tried various settings on both amps. The sub is not broken in yet but there is still an obvious difference in the amps with the 150 still having more ooomph and is "cleaner". I have already returned the 360 and have a RF500 (power series) on its way to me. I guess I seem stupid to be spending this money to replace something that is so good but the fever does it everytime. Really though, my son and I swap up gear so an extra amp laying around is not a loss.
All things considered, the 150 is a hell of an amp. When new, it cost twice what the 360 cost and 50% more than the 500. They can be found cheap now and RF still rebuilds them. They are definitely stronger than the "larger" new RFs.

------------------
Very Bright RED '97 F150XLT, SC, flareside,4x2,ARE lid, tints, 4x4 front bumper w/fogs, Hyper Headlights, shield, 2" rear drop, Monroe gas-shocks, slash duals, K&N, Pirelli S/T Scorpions, Viper alarm, Clarion, Fosgate, Soundstream and more....

Quick Reply: The Amp Wars.....