Amp Blown?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Amp Blown?

I just got my truck back from my oldest son today and when I drove in to Dallas, I realized the stereo wasn't working. The head unit was operational, CD chnager OK, etc... but no sound. There is a 20 amp fuse on the Amplifier that was blown. As soon as I replaced the fuse BAM! Blown! So did junior fry my system? There are no shorts in the wires that I can tell. I'm not a stereo guy, so your help would be appreciated.

------------------
1999 Black Roush-lowered Lightning, Swanson Chip, Pro-M, 3.73 gears, JBA Headers, Magnaflow muffler w/ Borla ss tips.

13.085@105.10mph

http://www.svtlightnings.com/go_rila/

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 12-23-2000).]

Old 12-26-2000, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You've probably got a dead short in the system somewhere. Start by tracing the power, ground, amd remote wires to the amp. Any little split or cut in the insulation can do it. Also, look at the RCA cable. If they are grounded out somewhere other than the deck and amp (via the connectors) it can be a problem. If you trace all the wire and don't find anything wrong, then take the amp and have it bench tested. I would be willing to bet the amp is not blown, it's in the wiring somewhere.

Lok

------------------
1997 F-150 Supercab 4X4,
Royal Blue,
4.6 V-8, Tow Package,
Wheels and Tires,
Performance Exhaust,
Smitty Nerf Bars,
Alpine CD,
Alpine 5 Channel Amp
PPI 5 X 7's,
Boston 10" Sub,