Is this amp any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this amp any good?

A friend at work just got this and installed it in his Honda CRV, after upgrading speakers. It sounds great, and the price is right, too.

The amp is JVC KS-AX6300 / KS-AX6500 and is on sale at Crutchfield's (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-mzFTilaMlkG/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=105ax6300&o=M&a=0) for $180 (reg. $330). It'll produce four-channels with 50 Watts RMS which is just what I'm thinking about, once I find the right speakers to go with it.

Has anyone seen/heard this amp? Is this a good price (without wiring)? Got any speaker suggestions (I just want to replace the stock ones)?

I'd really like to wait on the stereo upgrades, but this amp price seems unbeatable.

------------------
Promises Do Come True: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: SuperChip! Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit (sweet!), Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom curtains for the bed, custom cupholder inserts, custom sunglass insert for the garage door opener compartment. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster or Ravin exhaust.

Old 11-05-2000, 09:03 PM
Personally I'm not a fan Of JVC but they have mad alot of improvments in the past few years. If your friends sounds good in his car and like it then yours will probably be just as good. It's all personal preference. I like mine crazy loud so I went with a phoenix gold zx 475ti. This amp puts out a real 100 watts x 4 at 4ohms stereo and up to 200 watts x 4 at 2 ohms. See the reason I say real watts is becuase that jvc says it does 50 x 4 its probably only doing 20 to 30 if your lucky. secondly watts really don't mean that much if you have a good ear. A amplifier has to be more efficient then powerful. If you ever wonder why you see these amps for 300 bucks that puts out 1000 watts and then a amp for 2000 thousand dollars that puts out 1000 watts exsist is because of the efficiency ratings. When you buy an amp look for the Iasca ratings on power. thats the true power of an amp. Your not going to find to many amps that do that much power for cheap. My amp is rated at somthing like 40 watts x 4 iasca. That amp cost me 800 buck's. Don't get me wrong it's a great amp but 40 watts. All these company's don't have to tell you the facts. If you have any questions E-mail me or ask me. Remeber this quote, You get what you pay for, its true think about it.

Old 11-06-2000, 11:38 AM
Wink

Thanks for the heads up RTKILLA. I'm well-aware of the You Get What You Pay For (YGWYPF) principle. And I'm a big fan for making informed decisions. THAT'S why I frequent this board! Thanks for your input on JVC and amps in general. Seems like I've got some more study to do and I've got to keep an eye on REAL Iasca ratings.

But I've got to do something! Given your pessimism at stated power, I realize my Ford premium stock system puts out, say, 5 REAL watts per channel!

------------------
Promises Do Come True: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: SuperChip! Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit (sweet!), Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom curtains for the bed, custom cupholder inserts, custom sunglass insert for the garage door opener compartment. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster or Ravin exhaust.

Old 11-06-2000, 03:05 PM
If I offened you in any way sorry.

------------------
99.5 red lightning
massive audio upgrades
Cervini's ram air hood
billet grilles
clear coreners
clear tail's
A.R.E bed cover
SS street style mirror's
Super chip R9
airaid intake
trans go shift kit
custom embroadered seats
Built 5/4/99 A tuesday
# 917 of 4000
Best ET. 13.42 at 100.98
best stock 13.96 at ?

When the green light drops, the bullsh*t stops.

Old 11-07-2000, 07:36 AM
Talking

Hey! None taken! In fact, you've done my quite a service. I'm gonna read up on amps and speakers and such so I can make informed purchases, instead of jumping at a Good Deal.

Thanks for the input, RTKILLA. By the way, which billet grilles did you go with, and were they hard to install?

------------------

Old 11-09-2000, 11:25 AM
Christopher, What you really need to be concerned with is the RMS (constent power) rating, make sure it is not the peak rating. The JVC amp could be putting out 50x4 RMS, but that is what you need to make sure of. Also make sure the THD (total harmonic distortion) is lower than .1% . As far as buying from Crutchfield, that is a very safe bet. They are very cool to deal with and if it isn't what you expected, you can just send it back for a full refund. Just something else to think about. OK, one more thing as far as speakers go, visit circut city and best buy and listen to ALL of them. You will be surprised how different they will sound, and then see if crutchfield can beat that price, if not make sure you can return them to whoever if your not happy.

------------------
1997 F150 4x2 6cyl x-cab flareside black clearcoat

Old 11-09-2000, 11:01 PM
Wink

Thanks for the tips, F150Degrees. I'm gettin' a lesson here! Gotta run, but I'll get the specs and post them as soon as I can.

------------------

Old 11-10-2000, 01:56 PM
I did the trenz billets
not to bad to install just remeber the front pannel that goes around the lights comes off first.

------------------
99.5 red lightning
Cervini's ram air hood
billet grilles
clear coreners
clear tail's
A.R.E bed cover
SS street style mirror's
Super chip R9
airaid intake
trans go shift kit
Audio: Kenwood 9015 cd, Kenwood kmd minidisc, Kicker 5x7 impulse, kicker 5.25 resolution, phoenix gold zx450, Phoenix gold zx500, Three JL audio 10w3's, Qform's, custom built box.
Built 5/4/99 A tuesday
# 917 of 4000
Best ET. 13.42 at 100.98
best stock 13.96 at ?

When the green light drops, the bullsh*t stops.

Quick Reply: Is this amp any good?