Amplifier to stock unit w/o woofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amplifier to stock unit w/o woofer

Hello guys new here to the forum.... i know this question must come up alot but i was wondering what your imput was on this subject and any ideas or tips you might have. as the title mentions it i dont have a woofer my head unit is a 6 cd/mp3 player. im very happy with the sound just would like to have a nice bass to it. in my younger days i messed around with car audio but its been a while... dont want to mess anything up in my precious baby. but just want to give her a nice bass upgrade. im thinking about getting a 10" woofer to fit in under the drivers side back seat. would like to know as far as equipment that i would need to use my stock unit to add an amp. Thanks!

Last edited by 05darkknight; 09-08-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Use a Line-out converter to get RCA signal for an amplifier. I'd tap into your rear speaker wires. Then just wire your amp up as normal, make sure to ground it well, and you're in business.

You'll need a LOC with wire taps, amplifier wiring kit, a subwoofer box, and a subwoofer. You will want to buy some nice 12ga speaker wire for your subwoofer as well.

I recommend the Image Dynamics IDQ v.2 10" woofer.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Use a Line-out converter to get RCA signal for an amplifier. I'd tap into your rear speaker wires. Then just wire your amp up as normal, make sure to ground it well, and you're in business.

You'll need a LOC with wire taps, amplifier wiring kit, a subwoofer box, and a subwoofer. You will want to buy some nice 12ga speaker wire for your subwoofer as well.

I recommend the Image Dynamics IDQ v.2 10" woofer.
thanks ill look in to that... i really appreciate it!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Quick question, anyone know the best place to tap into the rear speaker wires? I tried the rear passenger side, but the color of wires to the driver side rear speaker don't match anything on the pass. side.

I'm trying to find a single location in the rear to tap into left/right because my speaker level leads to the amp are only 12" long and use a special connector...

Old 09-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Daividlem, Im not certian, but I would be willing to bet that the rear speaker wires run down opossite sides, and are never in a common place-Im sure someone who knows for sure will come in here and prove me wrong though.

Just splice onto your speaker level input plug's pigtail and run your new length of wire to right where the speaker wires run into the rear doors, or somewhere with easy access.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Bartak, thanks for the reply. I was hoping I was missing something but it looks like you are correct.

I just finished soldering on a couple extra feet of wire, hope this works well!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM

the location of the speaker wire IS in that cluster of wires under the kick panels... i tapped into the left rear speaker.. and the color of those wires are tan/yellow and grey/blue striped. if i can remember correctly, the right is NOT the same.. but why cant you tap into the left side? where is the location of your amp?

-LTZ

Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
amp is under the passenger seat. I chose that side because the battery is on that side of the truck and minimizes the power run. also found a good ground in the jack cubby in the pass side rear opening door. remember this is a reg cab.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 AM

If you haven't bought an amp yet the newer MTX RFL series amps have LOC built in.

Also on tapping into the speaker wires, I tapped into mine behind the headunit. Just because the wires would already be there in case I wanted to swap HUs in the future.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM
btw I tapped both rear left and rear right into my speaker level inputs on the amp and it's been fine since September.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I also ran a LOC and an amplified Bazooka tube (EL8) in my screw. The LOC is tapped into the rear speaker leads both left and right. From there, you just need to run your RCA's to the amp, switch lead to the amp, and power and then ground. Your sub will hook directly to your amp. I went one step....well actually 2 steps further. I added a PIE adapter for my MP3 player and then replaced all my factory speakers with JL Audio and Infinity Kappa's. The entire system sounds great! Nice crisp highs, and fantastic lows, thanks to the bazooka tube. Everything is tucked under the rear seat on the drivers side. I got the wiring color codes from the internet. I might be able to dig it backup if needed. It was a simple install.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Go behind the head unit! So much easier for the future, and you dont have to battle all the wires in the kick to find your speaker wires. And dont forget when tapping into your speaker wire, dont use t-taps! splice and solder!

Quick Reply: Amplifier to stock unit w/o woofer