Amp question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97f250
1250 watts continuous into 4 ohms(actually more like 1400 or 1500) sounds pretty good to me for 2 L7s. It will drive those puppies to their optimum performance easily. And it's always good to have the headroom that TOO much power permits. An amp's RMS rating is simply a tool to inform the user of capabilities, but certainly doesn't mean the user should ever drive the amp to anywhere near that point if it can be avoided, which it surely could in this case.

And you're right, the electrical system would be thrilled.
I know what Root Mean Square is. I was just stating that if your budget consists of 2 L7's.. That alone would make me look for a budget amp to match the pair.. Like a 1606d or a KX1200.1. I'm not stating it cannot be done. It's just a rediculous match. I'm basically trying to say that if he were to have the money to buy/run a ZX2500.1, L7's wouldn't be in the picture. Tis all.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by dB-SPL
I know what Root Mean Square is. I was just stating that if your budget consists of 2 L7's.. That alone would make me look for a budget amp to match the pair.. Like a 1606d or a KX1200.1. I'm not stating it cannot be done. It's just a rediculous match. I'm basically trying to say that if he were to have the money to buy/run a ZX2500.1, L7's wouldn't be in the picture. Tis all.
All opinions are welcomed. Money is not the problem, and L7's are in the picture because my cousin was in a jam for money, so I bought them. He had a jl audio 1000/1 running them, he sold that before I had a chance to get it. Is there something about the L7's I should know about? Is the jl amp the way to go?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Why suggest one ZX and say another ZX is a ridiculous match? Especially one that is a great match in all ways. Is it just about $$$$? Sounds like you're assuming he's on a "budget amp" type budget.

I was recommending what I did because in the the original post he asked specifically about the Kicker ZX2500.1 amp. Seems to me if he would bother to mention it, he can afford it.

I personally would never own a piece of Kicker equipment. Their amps are grossly overpriced, mainly because of past reputation.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM
[/QOUTE]I was recommending what I did because in the the original post he asked specifically about the Kicker ZX2500.1 amp. Seems to me if he would bother to mention it, he can afford it.

I personally would never own a piece of Kicker equipment. Their amps are grossly overpriced, mainly because of past reputation.[/QUOTE]

I respect what you say, as I said I got a great deal that I could not pass up.
What would you recomend?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Why suggest one ZX and say another ZX is a ridiculous match? Especially one that is a great match in all ways. Is it just about $$$$? Sounds like you're assuming he's on a "budget amp" type budget.

I was recommending what I did because in the the original post he asked specifically about the Kicker ZX2500.1 amp. Seems to me if he would bother to mention it, he can afford it.

I personally would never own a piece of Kicker equipment. Their amps are grossly overpriced, mainly because of past reputation.
My last post suggested a KX series amp. Not a ZX. The KX1200.1 would be a fine match to his drivers. 1200 WRMS @ 1-Ohm seeing as he has two 4-Ohm DVC woofers. I'm not assuming his budget at all. He asked, "Will the 1000.1 drive them, or will I have to get the 2500.1?" Here is where you enter your opinion. And mine was, If you're going to buy a $800+ amp you're going to want to use it to it's potential. So instead, I voted the KX1200.1. If he were looking into new subs, I might have considered the ZX2500.1. But all I'm seeing is what he states he's going to use. And no, it's not ALL about the money, but just about everyone wants to save some when they can.
So, in conclusion.. Without hearing what he has in mind for sub upgrades, you and I both know that the ZX2500.1 is a bit far-fetched thus far.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't mean to insinuate that all Kicker gear is bad, but some is very, very average. I should have said I wouldn't own any current Kicker equipment, but the fact is I have no current equipment of any brand. I have a vast collection of old school gear, all in top notch shape. So much better than about 99% of gear being built today. If I was to own a Kicker amp, it would be an old school ZR Series.

Sounds like the price was right for the subs. L7s are fine when used within their design limitations. They are what they are. A pair will cave in your head. The ZX2500.1 is a good choice if you buy something being currently made. Not much difference in Class D amps. Build quality may be better in some than others, but sound quality won't be any different if not driven into clipping.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Everyone, thank you for your opinions, taking all into consideration.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by dB-SPL
My last post suggested a KX series amp. Not a ZX. The KX1200.1 would be a fine match to his drivers. 1200 WRMS @ 1-Ohm seeing as he has two 4-Ohm DVC woofers. I'm not assuming his budget at all. He asked, "Will the 1000.1 drive them, or will I have to get the 2500.1?" Here is where you enter your opinion. And mine was, If you're going to buy a $800+ amp you're going to want to use it to it's potential. So instead, I voted the KX1200.1. If he were looking into new subs, I might have considered the ZX2500.1. But all I'm seeing is what he states he's going to use. And no, it's not ALL about the money, but just about everyone wants to save some when they can.
So, in conclusion.. Without hearing what he has in mind for sub upgrades, you and I both know that the ZX2500.1 is a bit far-fetched thus far.
You are of the opinion that using the cheaper amp into a 1 ohm set-up is adequate. That's fine. Give me the 4 ohm set-up any day if I have the $$$ to afford the amp.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't mean to insinuate that all Kicker gear is bad, but some is very, very average. I should have said I wouldn't own any current Kicker equipment, but the fact is I have no current equipment of any brand. I have a vast collection of old school gear, all in top notch shape. So much better than about 99% of gear being built today. If I was to own a Kicker amp, it would be an old school ZR Series.

Sounds like the price was right for the subs. L7s are fine when used within their design limitations. They are what they are. A pair will cave in your head. The ZX2500.1 is a good choice if you buy something being currently made. Not much difference in Class D amps. Build quality may be better in some than others, but sound quality won't be any different if not driven into clipping.

Hate to say it but,you must have never opened up or seen the hundreds of fried Kicker ZR amps that are out there Although thought of as a good design at the time alot of them burned up/out the power supplies due to heat.They sounded Great! but sadly didn't last.Once cars started suppling better Voltage power and 1 guage wire became normal these amps just counld'nt handle the heat for power transfer do to poor tiny power/ground terminals inside the amp and poor heat transfer through a super poorly designed for heat dissapation board.The new ZX are a newer design and don't have these issues and are more efficient to boot. I think you might be suprised by one if you listen. I don't even own a Kicker but I did have a car full of ZR 1000's once. Try gettin burnt power supply smell out of your car

James

Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hallertau2000
Hate to say it but,you must have never opened up or seen the hundreds of fried Kicker ZR amps that are out there Although thought of as a good design at the time alot of them burned up/out the power supplies due to heat.They sounded Great! but sadly didn't last.Once cars started suppling better Voltage power and 1 guage wire became normal these amps just counld'nt handle the heat for power transfer do to poor tiny power/ground terminals inside the amp and poor heat transfer through a super poorly designed for heat dissapation board.The new ZX are a newer design and don't have these issues and are more efficient to boot. I think you might be suprised by one if you listen. I don't even own a Kicker but I did have a car full of ZR 1000's once. Try gettin burnt power supply smell out of your car

James
I have no doubt there are some great Kicker amps currently being made, in terms of reliability.

As far as problems with the old ZR amps, I've seen many that were ruined for a multitude of reasons. That wouldn't stop me from using one. As you said, great for SQ, which is my passion.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Everyone, thank you. I decided to go with the Hi Fonics BXI1606d, not due to price but, I started doing some reading and alot recomend it, other than just articles.

Quick Reply: Amp question