Best spot to ground Amps mounted on back wall

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
O.k I'm asking now
It's Craftsman Days at Sears and the meters are on sale,plus online discounts to club members
Any suggestions on models for a Craftsman and/or Fluke? I noticed online that Fluke has extended leads available
Pretty much cant go wrong with ANY FLUKE! I use a Meterman...

Extended leads are simple to make... Just grab some wire, a banana plug and whatever you want to use as a tip.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Crewwzin
Find somewhere on the body close to the amps (within 3 ft), scrape the paint down to bare metal, and put a screw in it. If you dont wanna take the time to do it right, you might as well go ahead and half-*** it.
Ok Mr. Salty LOL I just thought many of you all have the best spot and save me the time and expense of buying 12 ft of 8 gage and a meter that I will use once

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by shanecaseber
Cant someone just tell me where to ground my amps ?
I just sanded down a spot right on the back wall between my amps and used a short self-tapping screw. easy and short.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm using gounding blocks that are screwed into the frame... had to drill and tap the frame. lol

if you don't have a multimeter I doubt your gonna have a tap set. gotta do it right tho

Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
I'm using gounding blocks that are screwed into the frame... had to drill and tap the frame. lol

if you don't have a multimeter I doubt your gonna have a tap set. gotta do it right tho
Damn, thats a great idea.... Hadnt even thought of that...

Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Ok Mr. Salty LOL I just thought many of you all have the best spot and save me the time and expense of buying 12 ft of 8 gage and a meter that I will use once
There isnt one "best spot". It all depends on where your amps are mounted, how much wire you have, and what kind of sheetmetal is nearby. I gave you the way to properly figure that out...its not my fault you dont want to do something for yourself.

I'm not trying to be an ***. My granddad taught me something long time ago that fits here..."Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
There isnt one "best spot". It all depends on where your amps are mounted, how much wire you have, and what kind of sheetmetal is nearby. I gave you the way to properly figure that out...its not my fault you dont want to do something for yourself.

I'm not trying to be an ***. My granddad taught me something long time ago that fits here..."Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."
How do I get the measurement of the resistance of the wire going to get the meter and some 8 awg I have a lot invested in this set up to cheap out for another 40 bucks. Thanks for the help ok

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
How do I get the measurement of the resistance of the wire going to get the meter and some 8 awg I have a lot invested in this set up to cheap out for another 40 bucks. Thanks for the help ok
You put one lead of the meter to one end of the wire, and the other lead to the other end. Make sure the meter is set on ohms. Follow the rest of the steps and you'll be good to go.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Pretty much cant go wrong with ANY FLUKE! I use a Meterman...

Extended leads are simple to make... Just grab some wire, a banana plug and whatever you want to use as a tip.
fluke 67 is the one i was referring to for 34.99 on sale. next closest would be craftsman #54727 for 39.99 regular price.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
You put one lead of the meter to one end of the wire, and the other lead to the other end. Make sure the meter is set on ohms. Follow the rest of the steps and you'll be good to go.
Got the DMM ,Well it looks like the "BEST SPOT" is right on the floor close to the amps after a lil sanding.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Got the DMM ,Well it looks like the "BEST SPOT" is right on the floor close to the amps after a lil sanding.
How much was it and which brand,model did you get ?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
As for the good ground spot...

Let me see...

It's blurry, but look at the end of the wrench...

You can also break it loose with a four-way...

But.................................... do you see the small bolt next to it^? That's what I ended up using.

Tons more pictures in my sig btw...

Quick Reply: Best spot to ground Amps mounted on back wall