preamp outputs or not, that is the question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
preamp outputs or not, that is the question....

hey guys. i have decided to go with two amps. tell me what youthink sounds better.....i am gonna get two clarion amps. the one i am gonna get to power my doors is a 2 channel 90 watt rms, the other is also a clarion amp that is a mono amp that is 300 watts rms at 4 ohms. but the amps do not have a pre amp output.

my other option is a pair of blauplunkt amps. the one that would power my door speakers is 6o watts rms 2 channel, and the other that will power the sub is a blauplunkt also, and can be bridged to 300 watts. these amps do have preamp outputs on them and are about 70 dollars cheaper.

My door speakers can handle 100 watss rms
and the sub can handle 350 watts rms and is a ten inc sub.

I'm kinda on a budget, but the 70 dollar difference really isnt that big of a deal. i just want see yalls points of view on having preamp outputs or not....thanks....ben

Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Are you running a stock or aftermarket headunit?

What model amps are you talking about and how much each?

Maybe, we can suggest something for you.

Good luck,
Devildog101

Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
my bad...here they are....

Blaupunkt PCA 2120 + Blaupunkt PCA 260
(60 watts rms x 2) + (300 wats rms bridged)
or

Clarion APX 2180 + Clarion APX 1300
(90 watts rms x 2) + (300 watts rms at 4 ohms mono)

Right now i have a factory, but i will be running a JVC X700, I think its called, for a head unit. It is double din, usb in front + aux input in front.

For door speakers i have infinity kappa 5 1/4 comps (50-100 watts rms)
I have some Infinity 6x8's i was gonna put in the rear doors. They are currently in the front doors (as when I bought the truck used).
And for a sub I have infinity perfect 10 that handles 350 watts rms.

At first I was thinkin' of buying the jl audio 500/5, but its like freakin five hundred bucks. The two blau amps are 200 bucks for both of 'em. The clarion amps are gonna cost 270 bucks I believe. With the new JVC head unit. I am gonna spend at most, with buying either sets of amps, like 530 bucks or so. Which is a lil more than the one amp i was gonna get!....I realize I am gonna pay a lil more for wiring now, but that doens't take up the difference of the cost of the big amp....I am gonna try to install this myself, with a lil help from my friends....except do it right the first time, without the ghetto install.
the whole thing scares me...:o

but back to my question, the blau's have preamp outputs, and the clarions do not. I was wondering about how much more wiring i was gonna have to do for an amp that doesn't have preamp outputs, or what i might have to do extra...

Last edited by benkr16; 01-10-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Just to understand, you are wanting the amp to have preamp outputs? What do you need that for? To run rca from one amp to the other?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 AM
i was just wondering if made a big difference in hooking it up. I don't reall know because i have never hooked one up before. do the pre amp outputs not really make a difference? THe head Unit I am getting has three sets of rca's already. front rear and sub.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by benkr16
i was just wondering if made a big difference in hooking it up. I don't reall know because i have never hooked one up before. do the pre amp outputs not really make a difference? THe head Unit I am getting has three sets of rca's already. front rear and sub.

You dont need to get amps with preamp outs. You will be running 2 sets of rca's from the back of your headunit to your amps. 1 sets to the highs amp, and 1 set to your sub amp. I take it you plan on amping just the 2 comps up front and running the rear 6x8's off of headunit power. If so, run the highs amp rca's to the front rca outs on your headunit and the sub rca's to the sub outs on your headunit.

I hope I typed all of that correctly.

Good luck,

What would be your price range just for the two amps? I might be able to put together a different set of amps for you. Post your price and I will look.

Devildog101

Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
there really is no set price range....just a good price and good power is all I am looking for. Also, about the 6x8's...I might just not power them at all....it seems that most people just ignore them.

Last edited by benkr16; 01-10-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: preamp outputs or not, that is the question....