jl audio vs/ eclipse 500/5

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jl audio vs/ eclipse 500/5

i am torn between the jl audio 500/5, which is 100 rms to front doors, 20 rms to the rear doors, and 250 rms to the sub and the eclipse 500/5 amp, which is 50 rms to all door speakers and 300 rms to the sub.

which one wuold you pick? they cost about the same....i was wondering if anyoen had either one and coud give the pros and cons...

i can't believe no one has an amp that is like 80 rms to the front channels, 20 to the rear channels, and 300 to the sub channel. that would be like perfect....

Old 01-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

could you bridge two channeles each so you get 100 rms to the fronts, and 300 to substage? then just run the rears off the HU? that would be ideal...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by benkr16
i am torn between the jl audio 500/5, which is 100 rms to front doors, 20 rms to the rear doors, and 250 rms to the sub and the eclipse 500/5 amp, which is 50 rms to all door speakers and 300 rms to the sub.

which one wuold you pick? they cost about the same....i was wondering if anyoen had either one and coud give the pros and cons...

i can't believe no one has an amp that is like 80 rms to the front channels, 20 to the rear channels, and 300 to the sub channel. that would be like perfect....

I would go with the JL. The 500/5 is a nice amp.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Both great amps, I would probably pick the JL though. It has 50 less watts on the substage, but you wont notice that at all. However, the extra 50 watts on the frontstage will be a nice difference over the Eclipse. Even if its a little much you can always back the gains down a touch.
20wrms on the backs is more than adequate if you ask me also.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
i was leaning toward the jl audio. i figured the rear channels would be pretty irrevalent. i have the stock hu right now, with infinity 6x8's in the front and stock in the rear speakers. i have some infinity 5 1/4 comp's to put in the front doors and will move the 6x8's in the rear, with an infinity perfect 10 in a q logic box. i want the most rms's to my sub that i can get. eclipse=300rms and the jl audio=250rms. i was wondering if i would actually crank it up to the max that the jl audio offers i the front speakers, or if if the 50 watts (150 bridged) would be okay. i figured if i had the 6x8's, i might as well be using them in my set up, and not totally ignoring them. and to me, it would be easier just to run the 3 patches from the H.U. to the amp, than have two patches, and then run new speaker wire from the H.U. to the rear speakers. I mean it woud take more wire,etc. sorry, i am rambling:o . another question i am gonna ask you guys is....what gauge speaker wire should i run? i am thinking a 12 or 14 to the front speakers, 14 or 16 to the rear speakers, and 8 to the sub...

Old 01-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by benkr16
i was leaning toward the jl audio. i figured the rear channels would be pretty irrevalent. i have the stock hu right now, with infinity 6x8's in the front and stock in the rear speakers. i have some infinity 5 1/4 comp's to put in the front doors and will move the 6x8's in the rear, with an infinity perfect 10 in a q logic box. i want the most rms's to my sub that i can get. eclipse=300rms and the jl audio=250rms. i was wondering if i would actually crank it up to the max that the jl audio offers i the front speakers, or if if the 50 watts (150 bridged) would be okay. i figured if i had the 6x8's, i might as well be using them in my set up, and not totally ignoring them. and to me, it would be easier just to run the 3 patches from the H.U. to the amp, than have two patches, and then run new speaker wire from the H.U. to the rear speakers.
Im not an infinity fan, but thats not the point. I am a fan of match setups though for some reason or another.

You have a good idea moving those 6x8 kappas to the rear and adding some comps up front. I have seen people dog those jl 500/5 for the rear channels only being 20w rms. Trust me, I have had that amp before and the 20w rms on the rear and the 18-22w rms on aftermarket headunits arent in the same ball park. That JL will give you good clean power to all of the speakers. Trust me, you will likey! That and your front comps will get the brunt of the power. You wont hear a difference between the 300 watts that the eclipse offers and the 250 that the JL offers.

Get the JL

Looks to be a pretty good setup. Get the install completed and take some pics.

Devildog101

Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 PM
i plan on getting the jvc dd xg700 as a head unti, but as for right now, i am installing my sirius sportster i got for x mas to my factory head unit. i am taking pics of this. i am using the fm modulator for now, cause the jvc is sat ready.

when i get the new hu and amp, i will be installing for the first time a system

Quick Reply: jl audio vs/ eclipse 500/5