Do I Need Any Electrical Upgrades for this Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Need Any Electrical Upgrades for this Setup?

Here is what I am installing in my 05 Supercrew, and I didn't think I would need any upgrades to the electrical system to run everything (including no dimming of the headlights), but I wanted to get some opinions. Disclaimer: I realize this may not be everyone's ideal choice of speakers, amps, head unit, etc., but I am just wanting to know about the electrical needs for this setup.

Alpine CDA-9885 HU
(Will not be using the internal amplifier; it will be disabled)

4 - Infinity Kappa 682.7 (2 ohm, 2-100 watt RMS)
Powered by:
1 - Kicker ZX350.4 (90 watt RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)

1 - Kicker 05CVR104 (Dual 4 ohm voice coils, wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, 50 - 300 watts RMS)
Powered by:
1 - Kicker ZX300.1 (300 watt RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)

I will be running 8 gauge lead and ground wires for both units, and I do not currently have a capacitor. So I guess the questions are:

1. Do I need a capacitor?
2. Do I need to upgrade any wiring, alternator, battery, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by carguyingeorgia
Here is what I am installing in my 05 Supercrew, and I didn't think I would need any upgrades to the electrical system to run everything (including no dimming of the headlights), but I wanted to get some opinions. Disclaimer: I realize this may not be everyone's ideal choice of speakers, amps, head unit, etc., but I am just wanting to know about the electrical needs for this setup.

Alpine CDA-9885 HU
(Will not be using the internal amplifier; it will be disabled)

4 - Infinity Kappa 682.7 (2 ohm, 2-100 watt RMS)
Powered by:
1 - Kicker ZX350.4 (90 watt RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)

1 - Kicker 05CVR104 (Dual 4 ohm voice coils, wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, 50 - 300 watts RMS)
Powered by:
1 - Kicker ZX300.1 (300 watt RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)

I will be running 8 gauge lead and ground wires for both units, and I do not currently have a capacitor. So I guess the questions are:

1. Do I need a capacitor?
2. Do I need to upgrade any wiring, alternator, battery, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Lots of guys on here will agree to not use a capacitor. You can always do the big 3 (or 4 cant remember) as an upgrade. You will always benefit from a stable charging system. Do a search on here for instructions to complete this.

I would probably run at least 4 awg power/ground. You might want to run even higher just incase you ever plan on upgrading in the future. Run that and then get a distro block to split to both amps.

Turn the Power I.C. option on, on the 9885. Should be a good setup.

Post some pics on this thread and in your gallery for others to see. Let us know what you think once installed. That way new guys get a hands on review of products in our trucks...

Good luck,
Devildog101

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much what DevilDog said.

With that setup you should acually be fine and can most likely get away with no electrical upgrades at all. Only way to tell for sure is to install it all and then find out for yourself. If you DO, chances are it will be very minimal, and the big 3, as Devildog stated, should more than take care of it.

I would probably run at least 4 awg power/ground. You might want to run even higher just incase you ever plan on upgrading in the future. Run that and then get a distro block to split to both amps.
x2

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the input.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the input.
Your welcome!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 AM
x3 on 4ga.

x3 on Big 3/4

x2 on 1F cap.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I am going to start working on the project this weekend. Based on the input everyone's given, I will be running the 4 gauge to a distribution block behind the rear seatbacks with 8 gauge running to each amp. I am going to ground each amp separately with 8 gauge also.

I'm not going to be able to complete it this weekend as from the posts I have been reading, it will be in my best interest to install some sound dampening material. So I have purchased some Edead to install on all four door panels and the wall behind the seats; would have liked to go with the Dynamat, but the costs on this "little" upgrade are slowly getting out of hand. My intent is to do the big 3 upgrade this weekend, along with getting the 4 gauge run and cutting the panel to which I will mount the amps and related stuff. I'll get some pictures as I work through the project.

If anyone has any words of wisdom before I begin, I will gladly listen.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Even though its obvious...

Try and group as many things together as possible. For instance, some people will run the power wire and remove the sill and trim moldings and whatever one day, then put it all back together. Then pull them back up to run the right side speaker wires. Like with your eDead, while you have the panels off, run your new wire, place your deadening stuff and install you new speakers.

Like I said, I know people will be like "duh", but when you have busy weekends and only so much time here and there to get one part of the whole project done, you lose track of the "work smart, and not hard" mentallity.

Oh yeah, and take lots of pictures and post them on this (your) thread.

Good luck,
Devildog101

Old 12-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Devildog101
Try and group as many things together as possible. For instance, some people will run the power wire and remove the sill and trim moldings and whatever one day, then put it all back together. Then pull them back up to run the right side speaker wires. Like with your eDead, while you have the panels off, run your new wire, place your deadening stuff and install you new speakers.
Thanks for the advice Devildog. That is kind of why I planned on only doing the stuff that I listed this weekend. I could go ahead and install the new speakers, mount the amps, etc, but then I would have to remove everything again in order to install the edead. It is killing me to not be able to do it all this weekend, but I have learned many times before when doing other types of mods that it is better to have everything planned out and do it right the first time rather than having to do it over and over again. My biggest concern is having enough clearance for the amps behind the rear seat so that they will have adequate ventilation. I am hoping it will be fine since I have seen many other posts and pictures where people have mounted in this location.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Devildog,

I just noticed that you are in Tampa. You wouldn't happen to be taking a trip up 75 next weekend? If so, Valdosta is always a nice place to spend a Saturday working on a truck.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
but I have learned many times before when doing other types of mods that it is better to have everything planned out and do it right the first time rather than having to do it over and over again.

And remember that throughout the whole install

I have a tendency to put things aside and say "Ill finish/fix that later" Then never get around to it, I still have unfinished things dealing with my stereo on my truck.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 PM
I am going to start working on the project this weekend. Based on the input everyone's given, I will be running the 4 gauge to a distribution block behind the rear seatbacks with 8 gauge running to each amp. I am going to ground each amp separately with 8 gauge also.

I'm not going to be able to complete it this weekend as from the posts I have been reading, it will be in my best interest to install some sound dampening material. So I have purchased some Edead to install on all four door panels and the wall behind the seats; would have liked to go with the Dynamat, but the costs on this "little" upgrade are slowly getting out of hand. My intent is to do the big 3 upgrade this weekend, along with getting the 4 gauge run and cutting the panel to which I will mount the amps and related stuff. I'll get some pictures as I work through the project.

Always ground together. Less chance of noise due to ground loops.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Always ground together. Less chance of noise due to ground loops.
Should I run the 8 gauge from each amp back to a distribution block, and then ground with 4 gague, or just ground each 8 gauge together at the same spot?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Also, do I need to be sure that the speaker wires do not run next to any power wires, or is that only important for the RCAs from the HU to the amp? All the things I have read have said not to run the RCAs around power wires, but it doesn't say anything about the speaker wires.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I have another question now that I have gotten into the install. Is it fine to mount the amps vertically, rather than horizontally? I didn't think it would matter as it doesn't say anything in the manual. When I took the seat back off and measured I realized that if I mount the amps next to each other horizontally, then there will be almost no space between them.

Quick Reply: Do I Need Any Electrical Upgrades for this Setup?