Do I Need Any Electrical Upgrades for this Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carguyingeorgia
Should I run the 8 gauge from each amp back to a distribution block, and then ground with 4 gague, or just ground each 8 gauge together at the same spot?
Yes. I think it looks cleaner and you have grounded to the same place.

I have another question now that I have gotten into the install. Is it fine to mount the amps vertically, rather than horizontally? I didn't think it would matter as it doesn't say anything in the manual. When I took the seat back off and measured I realized that if I mount the amps next to each other horizontally, then there will be almost no space between them.
Vertically is okay. Mine are. Upside down is bad.

Also, do I need to be sure that the speaker wires do not run next to any power wires, or is that only important for the RCAs from the HU to the amp? All the things I have read have said not to run the RCAs around power wires, but it doesn't say anything about the speaker wires.
Spk wire normally has enough voltage so its not a problem. But if you want to be safe dont. Its okay if you do though.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 12-30-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Devildog,

I just noticed that you are in Tampa. You wouldn't happen to be taking a trip up 75 next weekend? If so, Valdosta is always a nice place to spend a Saturday working on a truck.
No, no trips up 75 planned soon. At least not that far lol. If you are ever anywhere down this way, hit me up. I have tried to find some members in my area, but not much luck. All the ones I find have there emails blocked. In Feb, I will be going up to NC, maybe I will stop by on the way back down, and check out your install.

P.S. How much did you accomplish this weekend? Take any pics?

Good luck.
Devildog101

Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Devildog101
P.S. How much did you accomplish this weekend? Take any pics?
I haven't accomplished as much as I would like to have done, but I am also off today and tomorrow. I got the board made to mount the amps, and I am actually working on getting the amps mounted to the board right now. I also got the 4 gauge run from the battery to behind the seat. I was going to do the big 3 upgrade yesterday, but was not able to find the cables I needed from the Advance Auto by my house, so I will have to make a trip today to another store. I have a few pictures that I will try to get uploaded later today.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I finished the big three this evening, and it really wasn't that bad of a project. The only real issue I encountered was the fact that I could't find any pre-made cables of the right length with the ends that I needed. So I just had to make them, which wasn't too much trouble. I didn't get any pictures because it was dark when I finished, but I will try to post some tomorrow.

Right now I am pretty much just waiting for the rest of my stuff so that I can complete the project.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I finished the big three this evening, and it really wasn't that bad of a project. The only real issue I encountered was the fact that I could't find any pre-made cables of the right length with the ends that I needed. So I just had to make them, which wasn't too much trouble. I didn't get any pictures because it was dark when I finished, but I will try to post some tomorrow.

Right now I am pretty much just waiting for the rest of my stuff so that I can complete the project.
Well keep up the good work. Glad you completed everything under the hood. Kill two birds with one stone when you install your door speakers/sound deaden.

Make sure you post all of your pics in your gallery.

Devildog101

Quick Reply: Do I Need Any Electrical Upgrades for this Setup?