need more power (literally)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need more power (literally)

I got a really good deal on this rockford fosgate T600-2 amplifier. The only problem is the battery fuse rating for this amp is specified at 150A. Right now it causes the lights to quickly dim a bit on the bass hits when the volume is at about 60%. My question for you experts is, what is the safest route for fixing this problem? excluding the idea of getting a new amp.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly... without getting a new alt or anything... i'd get about a 1 farad capacitor and a dry cell battery....

Old 11-10-2007, 03:40 PM
X2 ^^^ The cap will help you out as long as you have room to mount it close to the amp. But by no means am I an expert.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM
i dont know anything about caps, will it cause my alternator to become a ticking time bomb at all more so then what it is now? or will it relieve a ton of stress from it?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 PM
the capacitor will relieve alot of stress off of your alternator.... when your amp draws power... the order of things it gets stuff from is battery ---> alternator. So if you add a capacitor... (which also acts as a noise reducer) the order then changes capacitor --> battery ---> alternator. Is a capacitor the answer to everything? No. But a cap definitly will help a system tremendously. I'd say you'll have 100 bucks in a cap.. and then if you get a new dry cell.. last i checked optima yellow's were like 180....so call it 300 and you shouldn't have any troubles with power issues.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
A cap just stores power till it is needed. It is just a larger verson of what is in a disposable camera.ie. when you hold down the flash button. It stores potental energy until ur sub asks for more.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 AM
DRJ
u should just upgrade ure current battery 1st...look into the big 3

Old 11-11-2007, 04:22 AM
DRJ
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly I wouldnt even mess with a cap. Get a good battery and upgrade your stock wiring, as in the link above, and see what that does for you.

I know I say it all the time, but a cap fixes nothing, its just a bandaid that does a crappy job at hiding a problem.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I found this guide on 12volt website,

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID~73496~PN~1

Tommorow im gonna go pick up some wire to do it. The only thing I need to do is locate where the ground comes out of the engine.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I run a cap mainly for the noise cancelling. A cap helps eliminate alternator whine... and in low power situations (under 300rms) a cap takes strain off of the alternator.... but its also one of those things either you like the idea of a cap or you dont.... everyone's entitled to their opinons.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:23 PM
The big three is a must when getting into bigger amplifiers. If it is still a problem for you, look into a product called the batcap. It delivers additional power without the additional load of a second battery, you mount it close to the amp like you would a normal cap. I've tried them all back when I competed in spl and this is the only thing I found that actually worked. I've been using them ever since.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
sure caps store voltage and they charge relatively fast but they release that engery so fast that after the first voltage drop in your system the stored energy is basically gone. if u have a low wattage system and it may be a little more usefull beings it wont take as much voltage from the cap to keep the voltage drop from being so harsh. and btw caps dont store power or current they store voltage. their sole purpose is to level off voltage drops. im just starting to learn about these so if any of that info is wrong please tell me,
Scott

Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by scottbigred
sure caps store voltage and they charge relatively fast but they release that engery so fast that after the first voltage drop in your system the stored energy is basically gone. if u have a low wattage system and it may be a little more usefull beings it wont take as much voltage from the cap to keep the voltage drop from being so harsh. and btw caps dont store power or current they store voltage. their sole purpose is to level off voltage drops. im just starting to learn about these so if any of that info is wrong please tell me,
Scott
They dont store voltage that is technically not possible. Potential is stored. Voltage is a difference of potential...

2nd: Saying that after the first drop energy and less powerful systems... is gone that is also wrong. No thats the reasoning behind bigger Caps. RF made a T15Kw that can be powered by a 10ga wire because of the technology of caps...

People dish on caps and say they are horrible, etc... Not true at all. If they were then why would they be used in unnumerable applications??? People need to understand that adding a cap isnt a catch all but part of a solution. And the battery is the "largest capacitor in the car"...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
They dont store voltage that is technically not possible. Potential is stored. Voltage is a difference of potential...

2nd: Saying that after the first drop energy and less powerful systems... is gone that is also wrong. No thats the reasoning behind bigger Caps. RF made a T15Kw that can be powered by a 10ga wire because of the technology of caps...

People dish on caps and say they are horrible, etc... Not true at all. If they were then why would they be used in unnumerable applications??? People need to understand that adding a cap isnt a catch all but part of a solution. And the battery is the "largest capacitor in the car"...
im still learning so bear with me please. the idea behind a cap isnt to keep the current up correct? its so that when a voltage drop is sensed across the circuit it trys to eliminate that correct?

Quick Reply: need more power (literally)