liner or no liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing sealing them will also cause your fan/ac to not work as well as the air will have no where to go. I wonder what other vehicles use? I've never seen vents like that before.

Yesterday I was driving home from the dealer, and I have the back seat out etc because I'm in the middle of my system install. If I turned the fan all the way off, the flaps closed. With the fan on only 1, they immediately opened up all the way. I'm sure sealing them will decrease the ventilation system efficiency. (Unless you keep your windows cracked like you say you do).

For me, noise is the issue. When those flaps opened, the road noise was way worse. The carpet liner helps that a lot though, I'm sure. As for rusting metal, any exposed metal is going to rust unless you keep your truck in a climate controlled environment 24/7 (not very practical). Take your dash apart - all the framework back there will have surface rust starting. It will never be bad enough that it will cause a problem though, which is why mfg's don't bother painting it. Looks bad, but not many people take apart their cars.

If you have water getting in your cab, that's a problem. I wonder how that is happening?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:52 PM
The vents are not exclusive to Ford.

I found that Edead is a much better acoustic insulator than the carpet liner was. But, that's negated by the fact that I have to leave my rear windows cracked.

Moisture-proofing the cab is not possible. However, there are no longer puddles of water below my vents, and the seat brackets that are directly in front of the vents had about 10x more rust than the rest. It's easy to draw some logical conclusions. Also, the rust on my brackets had begun to creep on to my seat fabric, after only six months. That's enough of a problem to warrant a little paint at the factory, and shame on Ford for the oversight.

If you're not prepared to leave your windows cracked, I would not advise (completely) covering the vents.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Pooling water? Wow, that's pretty bad. Ford has been making trucks for how long, you think they would have something like this figured out by now! Guess I'll have to pop my seats now and then and make sure I don't have the same problem.

Quick Reply: liner or no liner