need help choosing amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help choosing amp?

I currently have 1 kicker solobaric 12L7 in a vented box behind my seats in my regular cab. The sub is 2ohm dvc. I need an amp. I have had other amps in the past with this setup, and have been pretty happy with a few of them, but it is time for a new one. I am not sure whats going on, but I have had about 3 different amps, and all of them have just lasted about a year or two and quit working. Anyway, I really need some advice and which amps you guys prefer, and think would work best with this sub?? Let me know which brands, wattage, keeping in mind sound quality, you think would be the best.
I would really appreciate any help! If you could I would really like to know what amps are the best bang for the buck.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How many watts do you need (RMS wattage) and how much are you looking to spend?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 AM
the solobaric sub is rated at 750 watts rms. I would like to spend as little as possible, but I know that you can get good amps for less off of ebay, so thats where i will most likely purchase one. I would like to find a good new or maybe used amp for 300 or less hopefully. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. But I do want a good quality amp, so mainly I want to know the best for the money overall. I have looked at several but not sure which ones to choose or what is the best. I do believe that since my sub is a 2ohm and since i am only running one 12 sub, i would either need an amp that is 1ohm stable or an amp that has about 750 watts at 4ohms, is that right?
thx alot

Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Chris J.
the solobaric sub is rated at 750 watts rms. I would like to spend as little as possible, but I know that you can get good amps for less off of ebay, so thats where i will most likely purchase one. I would like to find a good new or maybe used amp for 300 or less hopefully. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. But I do want a good quality amp, so mainly I want to know the best for the money overall. I have looked at several but not sure which ones to choose or what is the best. I do believe that since my sub is a 2ohm and since i am only running one 12 sub, i would either need an amp that is 1ohm stable or an amp that has about 750 watts at 4ohms, is that right?
thx alot

You are correct. You need a big 2 channel amp that will do 750 bridged @ 4 ohms or a sub amp that will run stable at 1 ohm. There are a few sub amps that will do 700 or so @ 4ohm ohm as well. I just picked up the Alpine MRD-M1005 off ebay for $250. It will do 700 @ 4 ohm. There are tons of options.

Quick Reply: need help choosing amp?