JL Audio 500/1 the right amp for me??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLES187
so now where should I go?
Look at those kits on ED...determine what you need and either buy on Ebay or go to www.weldingsupply.com.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
C'mon now, lets not start this debate. JL is far from "top of the line".
Thats right, besides this is "top of the line"

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
Run the 4 ga wire...no need for a BatCap right now. Just do a yellowtop and Big 3...that should be plenty.
I actually would consider the batcap over the yellowtop if your stock battery is in good condition, imho the batcap would give your elec system more bang for the buck. But I would agree if the stock bat was only so so then do the yellowtop first.

As far as JL being top etc. At least we are talking about a quality amp not like BOSS or Pyramid!! Got to love those 2 foot surfboards that only weigh a pound and a half Any quality amp company is going to give you good performance as long as it is correctly chosen to do the job you want.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
the JL Audio 500.1 is a solid amp. I stand by JL all the way. i have a JL 300.4 running my JL XR mids and tweeters and a JL 500.1 running my 3 10w1v2s in my supercrew right now without a battery or cap and i havent had any problems.. check it out

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=12352

as far as quality you cant go wrong.. yes you will pay for it but like someone else said.. do it right and leave it alone.. you will fuss and hassel with cheap amps... a good speaker will sound like **** with a ****ty amp so get the nice amp and be satisfied.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Big D thats a nice setup...looks awesome....I brokedown and bought a 500/1 today off ebay for $227...plus $16 s&h ....not a bad deal.....plus got a three year warranty for it for $35 bucks...covers EVERYTHING.....my other amp is fried and sounds like ****......I can't wait to get my system back....kinda embarrassing riding around on 24's with no bass...lol.....I'm also going to upgrade my crappy wiring job (walmart wires)...any reccommendations? I want to run the four gage wire, but should I go ahead and do the big three now? I also desperately need the LMI seat lift...and then put feet on my sub box to raise it off of the ground a an inch or two.......suggestions strongly welcomed!!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Big D thats a nice setup...looks awesome....I brokedown and bought a 500/1 today off ebay for $227...plus $16 s&h ....not a bad deal.....plus got a three year warranty for it for $35 bucks...covers EVERYTHING.....my other amp is fried and sounds like ****......I can't wait to get my system back....kinda embarrassing riding around on 24's with no bass...lol.....I'm also going to upgrade my crappy wiring job (walmart wires)...any reccommendations? I want to run the four gage wire, but should I go ahead and do the big three now? I also desperately need the LMI seat lift...and then put feet on my sub box to raise it off of the ground a an inch or two.......suggestions strongly welcomed!!

the big 3!! ... hmm its really personal preference. and i feel ya on the 24's with no bass. the lmi seat lift will give you all the room you need. but keep in mind, you have a supercrew. when you open the back doors the seats will be visably uneven... that would bother the **** out of me, thats why i got a cutom box behind the seat. if that doesnt bother you then i have heard nothing but good things about lmi.. check with a local audio shop first..chances are they can fab you a seat lift up quick and save you some money. what kind of subs are you running again?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
2 JL Audio 10w3v2's 4ohm

Old 01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Caps are a waste of money. Do the big 3. It's cheaper and does far more good for your system as a whole. The link earlier in the thread is great. Here is another for your reference: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152355

It doesn't take too long to do either once you locate everything.

Then if you think you need to, do the Optima Yellow Top or even a Kinetik brand battery. The Cap would be the last thing you would need if you did find a reason to need it. You can find lots of stuff in the forum I mentioned above about why caps just simply aren't necessary. You will also find a lot of things about upgrading your alternator over there. You can do some simple math to figure out if this is necessary. Here is a good article about that: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...rs_faq.html#10

I run the stock alternator with a total of 800Watts RMS and still have plenty of power to spare. IMO if you upgrade the big 3 you will certainly not have anything to worry about.

Your amp choice is good one, I think. Good quality power from a rock solid amp. I do agree that JL is a bit proud of their amps from a price standpoint, but I don't know anyone that hasn't been happy with them. Frankly, I am jeolous. That's just more amp than my solo JP Stealth needs. Good luck with everything. You should be bumping again soon.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Arrow

I hope so...I also just ordered a 4 guage wiring kit made by monster cables off of ebay..got it for $50 bucks plus $15 shipping...Im going to rewire my whole system and do it all right this time...professionally...here is the link to the auction

AMP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4894&rd=1&rd=1

CABLES

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

***Paid $250 for the amp, plus $35 for a three year warranty from square trade that covers it for three years NO MATTER WHAT***

Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Amp seems clean. Smart on your part on the three year warranty deal.

If you have issues or questions while you're wiring, post man. This forum and the other forum I sent in my last post have been really, really helpful for me as I take on these projects.

Take some pics when you're done!

Good Luck.

Dave

Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 AM
You know I will...as well as the edge which should arrive in a week or less I hope!!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
2 JL Audio 10w3v2's 4ohm

how do those sound in the truck? im thinkin about upgrading to 3 jl w3v3s

Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
some of the best speakers you can get, but you MUST get the seat lift...thats my NEXT mod

Old 01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Just got my amp installed and upgraded the wiring to a 4awg kit...MUCH BETTER!!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
The Big 3 will help.
Caps are nothing than a cool volt meter.
Just get a Kinetik 600 it will please you.
What type of fuse are you running?

Quick Reply: JL Audio 500/1 the right amp for me??