Factory/upgrade amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory/upgrade amp

My 97 extended cab has the factory am/fm/cassette deck in it. Does it have a seperate amp for the radio? My Ford manual does show there may be an amp behind the radio that comes out down thru the floor heater returns. If so is there an aftermarket amp that fits in that location? Since I have 4 speakers do I need a 2 or 4 channel amp? Any and all help or recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you have just a cassete player/am/fm radio, you probably dont have a factory amplifier. I believe factory amps only came with the Premium Sound option, and you either had to have a cd player, or the cd player came with that option. However, dont quote me on that, Im not positive on that. Best thing to do would be to pull stuff apart and see if there's one there. While your in there, take some measurments to see how big of an aftermarket amp you can stick in there.

You can get either a 2 or 4 channel amp, its your decision. If you want to amp all 4 speakers, your best option would be to get a 4 channel (you probably could get a 2 channel for this too, and parallel wire 2 speakers together on each channel, you wont have front to back, or side to side fade/balance depending on how you wire them though, and not a whole lot of adjustment for how you want them)
Or, you could get a 2 channel and just put it on the front speakers, and run the back speakers off the HU.

However you want to do it. But if you are trying to fit it in the factory location, 2 channels are generally physically smaller in size, so you might have to end up getting a 2 channel anyway. If your on a budget the 2 channel would probably be a better option too.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Since you have just a cassete player/am/fm radio, you probably dont have a factory amplifier. I believe factory amps only came with the Premium Sound option, and you either had to have a cd player, or the cd player came with that option. However, dont quote me on that, Im not positive on that. Best thing to do would be to pull stuff apart and see if there's one there. While your in there, take some measurments to see how big of an aftermarket amp you can stick in there.

You can get either a 2 or 4 channel amp, its your decision. If you want to amp all 4 speakers, your best option would be to get a 4 channel (you probably could get a 2 channel for this too, and parallel wire 2 speakers together on each channel, you wont have front to back, or side to side fade/balance depending on how you wire them though, and not a whole lot of adjustment for how you want them)
Or, you could get a 2 channel and just put it on the front speakers, and run the back speakers off the HU.

However you want to do it. But if you are trying to fit it in the factory location, 2 channels are generally physically smaller in size, so you might have to end up getting a 2 channel anyway. If your on a budget the 2 channel would probably be a better option too.

Thanks Bartak. You're right. No amp. I wound up putting in a Pioneer HU.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1

Would a person have to put an aftermarket amp in if they are just going to use the stock speakers? (This is what I intend to do, being I do not know how to remove the door panels and do not want to change the speakers anyway.)

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by vernonbishop
Would a person have to put an aftermarket amp in if they are just going to use the stock speakers? (This is what I intend to do, being I do not know how to remove the door panels and do not want to change the speakers anyway.)

Vern I was gonna but I didn't since I went with the after market Pioneer system for $209. It has 4 channels and has 50 watts per channel. Sounds pretty good for the price. Much louder than the factory unit.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vernonbishop

I wouldnt recommend putting an amp on the factory speakers. The stock speakers have very low power handling capabilities, and just wouldnt able to hold up to an amp to good.Atlow volumes, you MIGHT be ok, but once you start turning up the volume....*POP*.. no more speakers most likely.

The power from an aftermarket HU is really about all the more power you want to send them. The stock speakers will even start stressing some with the power from an aftermarket HU. You have to watch the power numbers on HU's too. When you see numbers like "50x4", they are actually talking about peak power numbers. RMS power (the power numbers that matter) of most aftermarket HU's is around 20 watts. And thats around twice as much as the stock HU.

So, if you are using the stock speakers, just run them off an aftermarket HU.
And as 6T6 said, the stock speakers sound 100 times better of an aftermarket HU than off the stock HU.

If you are using the stock HU, you MIGHT be able to use a VERY VERY low wattage amp, however I have never seen an amp that I believe the stock speakers would hold up to.

This gave me an idea. Maybe Ill take one of my stock speakers and put it on my 75 wrms amp and see how long they go

Quick Reply: Factory/upgrade amp