Amp difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp difference

Right now the only mod i have to my system is new pioneer speakers all around, 4 ways in front and 3 ways in the back. Pretty soon i am getting a new head unit and eventually amp and subs. I was wondering is the different with an amp that great with speakers? Is it ALOT louder?

Old 10-25-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't think it'll be "alot" louder, But it'll sound much better at a mid to high volume. Well I take that back, some systems with 4 6x8's hooked to a 50x4 amp just screamed so loud my ears popped. I dont' think there's a person in this forum that'll say they regret adding an amplifier to their cabin speakers. I couldn't ever go back to an unamplified system ever again.

It's so hard to illustrate the difference an amp will make in a forum. It's kind of like comparing frozen buffalo wings to "hooters' wings" You get crispness, meat, and much better entertainment.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:57 AM
I did the same thing. Stock H/U and 4 6x8 Kenwood 3 ways. Wasnt loud enough. Changed H/U to a Pioneer. Sounded better. Went witha Blaupunkt 200 W 4 way amp. What a difference. A CD sounds so clear and a big improvement on the volume! Even the bass is alot better. You wont be sorry.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:05 AM
I have infinities all the way around w/ 2 JL 10's in the back - the JLs were added when I put the amps in so I have no before and after comparison on those, however I did hook up all the infinities to my sony hu before the amps were installed. The biggest difference I noticed was that the highs were MUCH crisper and clear (keep in mind, the infinities are mainly high mid and highs hence the lack of a low comparison). Even the wife commented, "the sound is a lot brighter now."

As the guys said above, you won't be sorry if you add an amp!

Old 11-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Amplifying the right speakers is always a good thing. Amplifying Pioneer 4-ways will give you an insight into the weaknesses of these particular speakers. They are very, very harsh in the treble and when amplified and played at high volume will make your ears feel like they are going to bleed. Your HU will make them sound about as good as they can. To be perfectly honest, the 4-ways are not very good speakers, when taking in to account what is available. The 3-ways are not much better. In spite of the fact that these speakers fly off the shelves like crazy, they are NOT for people who enjoy critical listening. You will never see them in a competiton type of system. They are wildly popular because of the convenience of installation and use. However, if a person knows what to expect and are happy with this level of performance, then there is certainly no reason the user can't be perfectly happy with them.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Cool

I added an amp after installing my Kenwood HU and 4 Infinity Reference 5 x 7 speakers.
The amp makes a huge difference. The sound is clearer and brighter at higher volumes. However, it is still an improvement at lower volume settings.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Amp difference