2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone changed the map/dome lights to LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone changed the map/dome lights to LED's?

Looking to see how to get the plastic trim off to change the map lights in the front. It appears they are 194's in the front but the Sylvania guide lists either the 194 or 906 for the map lights.

The dome light is either a 578 or 6411, according to Sylvania.

Anyone know how......I am thinking the dome is a hard pull type, but unsure about the front area. The manual doesn't touch on this.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Okay, for anyone that wants to swap the lights out - it's areally simple thing to do.

For the front map lights, gently pull on the plastic housing that surrouns the map lights - that will come off as an entire piece. Once off, you'll see the aluminum reflector - the bulbs are the 194 series. If you leav the reflector on, the bulbs are a little tough to gra to pull out. I removed the reflector, but I will tell you, it is a flimsy piece! I replaced the map lights with these:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81133-1-2.html

The rear dome light is a 578 and is a "pull, but not to hard" type housing. You'd think you would break it by pulling so hard, but I didn't have any issues. Here is a bulb for the dome:

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p4481172.html

There you go!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I never really thought about this mod before. Does it make a real difference in terms of brightness or is it just a hue issue??

Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Thumbs up VLEDs +1

In my '99 it was both, brightness and hue. The LEDs are pure white, no more incan yellow.

I need to figure out all my bulbs for the '05 I've got now and order new bulbs.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by txarsoncop
In my '99 it was both, brightness and hue. The LEDs are pure white, no more incan yellow.

I need to figure out all my bulbs for the '05 I've got now and order new bulbs.
You know, I had a Putco LED kit in my 06. After seeing what was included, one can do the same thing for much less.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I got some Blue LEDs in my map & dome lights looks really good just did it 2weeks ago an got them from V-LED they are really bright simple easy good lookin mod to do

Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Okay, for anyone that wants to swap the lights out - it's areally simple thing to do.

For the front map lights, gently pull on the plastic housing that surrouns the map lights - that will come off as an entire piece. Once off, you'll see the aluminum reflector - the bulbs are the 194 series. If you leav the reflector on, the bulbs are a little tough to gra to pull out. I removed the reflector, but I will tell you, it is a flimsy piece! I replaced the map lights with these:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81133-1-2.html

The rear dome light is a 578 and is a "pull, but not to hard" type housing. You'd think you would break it by pulling so hard, but I didn't have any issues. Here is a bulb for the dome:

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p4481172.html

There you go!

ibcop, I've been looking for a good interior led setup for a little while now. I've searched the forums and found a few discussions about the Putco kit (too much $$$), superbrightleds.com, and v-leds.com

I want my front reading lights and rear dome to be very bright for the buck, with the light distributed all throughout the inside of the truck (supercrew). Just wondering what you think of your setup you've got there. Let me know what you think if you could give a mini review of sorts. Thanks a bunch!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Night pics with the lights on wouldbe cool too

Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Bright LEDs

Autolumination

Those are two sites I have gotten things from. Quality stuff.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Duda
ibcop, I've been looking for a good interior led setup for a little while now. I've searched the forums and found a few discussions about the Putco kit (too much $$$), superbrightleds.com, and v-leds.com

I want my front reading lights and rear dome to be very bright for the buck, with the light distributed all throughout the inside of the truck (supercrew). Just wondering what you think of your setup you've got there. Let me know what you think if you could give a mini review of sorts. Thanks a bunch!
I will get some night shots of the lights - I'd do it tonight, but it's raining now. I must say I do like the "crispness" of the LED lights versus the halogen stuff. Seems to be easier on the eyes as well. You can replace the two front map lights and the dome light for under 30 bucks, including shipping. I think the Putco kits go for about 65.

I have always purchased my LED's from V-Leds......but now it seems UPS has lost my last order. I ordered some interior LED's for the wife's Honda.....I would recommend if you order, opt for the three day UPS delivery and not the ground service.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Ibcop, the three questions I have for you concerning the map lights and dome light you gave links for are- 1) Are they bright? 2) Do they carry 3) Do the reading/map lights match the dome light well?

The only reason I'm asking is I know of LEDs mentioned/recommended on the forums but some posters have mentioned that they don't match very well (map and dome). These lights are great priced and I will probably buy them if you recommend them and can answer these questions. Thank you very much ibcop, you're helping me out a bunch!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 AM
I know what im doing next!!! lol

Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Duda
Ibcop, the three questions I have for you concerning the map lights and dome light you gave links for are- 1) Are they bright? 2) Do they carry 3) Do the reading/map lights match the dome light well?

The only reason I'm asking is I know of LEDs mentioned/recommended on the forums but some posters have mentioned that they don't match very well (map and dome). These lights are great priced and I will probably buy them if you recommend them and can answer these questions. Thank you very much ibcop, you're helping me out a bunch!
If you buy the same type of bulb for the map lights and dome, you won't hav any trouble. I went with the white lights - others have gone with blue, red, etc. My set up is bright, but not so bright to casue a distraction on the driver at night if they are on.

Understand the map lights and the dome light are two differant bulbs and as a result, you'll get differant light output, based on the bulb. If you go with the items I linked, I think you'll like it, but get what is best for you.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info ibcop. Here is a 15% coupon code that I found and it worked for me: CLUBLEXUS

Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by JRVicHammer
Thanks for the info ibcop. Here is a 15% coupon code that I found and it worked for me: CLUBLEXUS
I always do a google search for coupon codes before I buy on line - there are several out there. I should have mentioned it earlier.

Thanks for posting the info - every little bit helps!

Quick Reply: Anyone changed the map/dome lights to LED's?