Denso Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denso Plugs

I have basically a stage 1 from Troyer Performance and am going to swap my plugs. Is it worth buying the Denso Iridium plugs, since I have just a few basic mods? Will I feel any difference?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m not so sure you will be able to feel the difference, as these trucks are heavy and a few extra horses probably won’t be detectable with the seat of the pants dyno, but every little bit of extra hp helps and it all adds up

Old 09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 02KR,

That's a good question that we've covered here many times in the past, but it's been a little while, so I'll explain a bit.............

What you have is a 2-valve modular motor, so you do not need those special plugs like the newer 3-valve engines require - thus you have SO much freedom in the types of plugs you can use, which means you can use what I consider to be the best spark plug on the market, the Denso Iridium,.

The iridium material is at least as durable than platinum, but more importantly, it has a lower required firing voltage than any other material used for spark plug firing tips - and this is extremely important on these Fords, as they have a rather weak ignition system to begin with.

This is not a matter of putting in the Denso's and expecting to pick up 20 HP, that isn't going to happen unless someone is supercharged and getting spark blowout on the top end, for example - I gained good power with them in my supercharged vehicles. In the case of a typical non-supercharged F-150, figure that yes, you *will* generally pick up a few HP, but that's really not the primary reason to do it IMHO - meaning, don't think of it as strictly a performance mod - it's done for better idle quality, slightly better fuel mileage, fewer misfires, and in general, keeping the candles lit much better under all conditions - especially as things like as rpms increase, or as power rises, or when humidity levels creep up, just to name a few of many factors that put added demand on the ignition system.

Put it this way - I can run any plug I want, and we run Denso's in all of our vehicles EXCEPT our 3V mod motors - and that is only because all 3V engines require a special plug that only Autolite makes, they have the patent on that specially designed spark plug required on all 3V modular motors. My Cobra runs Denso's, my Lightning runs Denso's, as do all our other vehicles that do not have 3V engines - and if Denso made a plug for the 3V's, we'd use them in those engines, too.

We have tested all the typical NGK's, Champions, stock factory platinums, Autolite's AR racing series, etc., etc - and as long as you are not spraying nitrous oxide, I highly recommend using the Denso plugs just as we do. (For nitrous, use copper-based plugs like the Autolite AR series copper plug). This is of course up to you, this is just my recommendation.

I hope that helps,

Quick Reply: Denso Plugs