2015 - 2020 F-150

P04db code help???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Ecoboost p04db code

Hey guys,

Hate to open this thread again but, I have a stock 2018 2.7 Ecoboost and I keep getting this code. I've read multiple threads, watched videos, checked everything myself and can't find any disconnect. The truck performs like normal before and after CEL. I took it in the first time and they said it was a faulty sensor. They replaced it and all was fine for about 3 or 4 months. Looking for a permanent fix.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
As long as it's on warranty, keep taking it back.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:44 PM
My 2016 3.5 ecoboost is now having this problem. Replaced the PCV due to the code showing faulty, three days later the code comes back. Installed KN cold air intake, no problems for the first two years. Ford website no help with the fix. I've read this thread and seems like a common problem with a seemingly common fix. Any mfr part # for the aluminum tube? Any assistance is appreciated.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:06 PM
glc
Get rid of the K&N and put the stock intake back on.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM
I was getting that code as well. I put the stock intake back on and the code disappeared.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:52 PM
?

Originally Posted by 5.0kevin
I have a 2015 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost all stock running a SSI tune since 2 years never had any issue with it and just recently installed A banks Ram Air system right after installing it after about 5 miles check engine light popped up with code p04db
did you ever find a solution??

Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 PM
glc
Put the stock intake back on.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Put the stock intake back on.
I don't mean to be that guy, but just saying to put the stock intake back on doesn't always help. I've been running my K&N for over two years and this is the first time I'm encountering this code. Some people buy their trucks secondhand and they've already got an aftermarket intake on them, so a stock swap isn't always an option.

To everyone else, is this UPR catch can / fix the best other option?

Old 03-31-2020, 03:58 PM
I have gotten this code twice, both times dip stick was not seated correctly.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:57 PM
I replaced the sensor in that intake tube, light came back. Turns out Ford has to make your computer play nice with the new sensor. Been driving the truck daily since and it hasn't come back on.

And I did it all without putting the stock intake back on...weird

Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 AM
Can you elaborate a little on what they had to do to "make your computer play nice?" I have a 2019 with this issue. Put on the K&N CAI and worked fine for a while and got the light. Read it with ForScan and bought the tube that is mentioned earlier in this thread, installed it and the light went away. Now several thousand miles later the light comes on again, took it to dealer and they swapped sensors. Two days later light was back on, took it back in and they put on a whole new PCV valve. A few days later and the light is back on....

Originally Posted by govna47
I replaced the sensor in that intake tube, light came back. Turns out Ford has to make your computer play nice with the new sensor. Been driving the truck daily since and it hasn't come back on.

And I did it all without putting the stock intake back on...weird

Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by carter75
Can you elaborate a little on what they had to do to "make your computer play nice?" I have a 2019 with this issue. Put on the K&N CAI and worked fine for a while and got the light. Read it with ForScan and bought the tube that is mentioned earlier in this thread, installed it and the light went away. Now several thousand miles later the light comes on again, took it to dealer and they swapped sensors. Two days later light was back on, took it back in and they put on a whole new PCV valve. A few days later and the light is back on....
On my end, the dealer just reprogrammed the new sensor so the trucks computer read it properly. Now and again the light has popped up since I made my most recent post, but only if I use sport mode, it would seem. Twice now the day after I use sport mode, the light comes on. But if I don't use sport for a couple of days, the light clears itself back out. I'm still trying to narrow down why it's only sport that trips it up

Old 09-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Tube

Does anyone have a pic of this tube or know here to get it from. K&N told me they don’t have anything like this.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by James Nelson
Does anyone have a pic of this tube or know here to get it from. K&N told me they don’t have anything like this.

This is the tube in question. It's right behind the oil filler under the plastic engine cover (3.5 V6).
Tube part number: FL3Z-6758-A
Sensor part number: FR3Z-9J460-A

Here is a youtube link to a replacement of the sensor:

FWIW...I purchased an oil catch can from American Trucks, the one that mounts on the passenger side of the engine bay. It's been catching quite a bit of oil and the light hasn't come back on in a few thousand miles. So from what I can tell, the oil blowby would clog up that sensor and cause it to throw the light on, but now that I've removed that oil blow issue, all seems well

Old 09-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by govna47

This is the tube in question. It's right behind the oil filler under the plastic engine cover (3.5 V6).
Tube part number: FL3Z-6758-A
Sensor part number: FR3Z-9J460-A

Here is a youtube link to a replacement of the sensor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtZnlF9qw8

FWIW...I purchased an oil catch can from American Trucks, the one that mounts on the passenger side of the engine bay. It's been catching quite a bit of oil and the light hasn't come back on in a few thousand miles. So from what I can tell, the oil blowby would clog up that sensor and cause it to throw the light on, but now that I've removed that oil blow issue, all seems well

My challenge is that Ford says this does not fit my 2020 3.5L.

Quick Reply: P04db code help???