2015 - 2020 F-150

Grrr. Black interior gets GREY headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr. Black interior gets GREY headliner?

When I ordered my truck about a month ago, my dealership could not tell me how to get a Black Headliner. They ordered a Black Interior and said that the grey headliner trucks were an anomaly.

That has obviously been proven false as I've been checking regularly on trucks being delivered and all of the black interiors, EXCEPT for the Sport Appearance packages, come with grey headliners.
  1. Sport Appearance package isn't available on the exterior color we chose, or I would have gone with it (Blue Jeans Metallic). I'm doing my best to put black accents around the rest of the vehicle .
  2. It isn't something they can even order on a new truck, which is just stupid. Who WANTS a grey headliner?
  3. There IS an OEM replacement part ($429) that with the sunroof shade will cost about $800 or so to replace, more if the labor is super high in an s-crew getting that darn thing past the pillar separating the front and rear doors.

Anyone else have this concern/complaint and find a way to solve other than just eating it and having it done after shipment?

What is the point of ordering a custom truck if you can't choose the parts you want...

Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Just looked at mine. I never noticed what color the headliner was. I don't look up when I am driving. Everything from the dashboard up is grey. I personally feel that if it were all black, it would be dark as a cave inside the truck. With the silver accents on the dash and console, the grey gives it a excellent contrast. If it is going to bother you now, what will it be like when your in it everyday. If your that unhappy, why not cancel the deal and reorder the sport in another color. I say just enjoy the ride, and don't look up.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Exactly. The lighter color has a more open feeling. Less closed in.

Since the dawn of trucks with more than a single cab, the windshield has to come out to get the headliner out safely.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might mask off a couple things!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Woodstruck,
Great solution. The a-pillars that are grey will be painted black as well. E-Z do-it-yourself project. Resale value may suffer.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Sigh, as much as I love a fun DIY project, I don't think a $60k truck should have to be painted by the owner to get what they want.

They have black headliners. I wish they would just put it on my truck. I have black headliners on our XC60 and my Audi S5 and they look GREAT.

Quick Reply: Grrr. Black interior gets GREY headliner?