2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0's

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Takeda
Years ago, it was recommended to do a "cool down" before shutting the engine off. This was due to the turbo spinning at a high speed, and the bearings loosing oil pressure when the engine stopped. I don't know if this is still the case with the EB.
Not quite, the cool down was to let the center hot section that uses oil to lubricate and cool the bearings cool off somewhat. When pushed a lot of very hot air is going through the turbo and it gets hot! If run hard and immediately turned off the oil in the turbo would get cooked and turn into a nasty sludge and coke up the oil lines.

The EB uses engine coolant to also cool the turbo. The turbo is mounted as the lowest point in the cooling system so once the engine is turned off the coolant boils off and returns to the radiator as steam. Fresh coolant flows from the block into the turbo to keep cooling things down. This eliminates the need for after run pumps on long periods of idling to cool things down. Now if you were really running it hard a few minutes of idling or even better, slow driving is good. This would be the case with any motor.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Takeda
Years ago, it was recommended to do a "cool down" before shutting the engine off. This was due to the turbo spinning at a high speed, and the bearings loosing oil pressure when the engine stopped. I don't know if this is still the case with the EB.
No, that is not the case with turbos any more.

Likely, you will pay more in sales tax on a new ride than what the additional repairs for an EB engine would be over a non-EB engine.

I just don't understand some people. Let's spend $10-20k on a new vehicle because I am afraid I MAY have to spend $1k on this perfectly good vehicle. AHHHHH!!!!

If you want a new vehicle, that's one thing, but to say you are going to spend a wad of cash to POSSIBLY avoid spending a smaller wad of cash, that's stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny. I just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Not quite, the cool down was to let the center hot section that uses oil to lubricate and cool the bearings cool off somewhat. When pushed a lot of very hot air is going through the turbo and it gets hot! If run hard and immediately turned off the oil in the turbo would get cooked and turn into a nasty sludge and coke up the oil lines.

The EB uses engine coolant to also cool the turbo. The turbo is mounted as the lowest point in the cooling system so once the engine is turned off the coolant boils off and returns to the radiator as steam. Fresh coolant flows from the block into the turbo to keep cooling things down. This eliminates the need for after run pumps on long periods of idling to cool things down. Now if you were really running it hard a few minutes of idling or even better, slow driving is good. This would be the case with any motor.
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
No, that is not the case with turbos any more.

Likely, you will pay more in sales tax on a new ride than what the additional repairs for an EB engine would be over a non-EB engine.

I just don't understand some people. Let's spend $10-20k on a new vehicle because I am afraid I MAY have to spend $1k on this perfectly good vehicle. AHHHHH!!!!

If you want a new vehicle, that's one thing, but to say you are going to spend a wad of cash to POSSIBLY avoid spending a smaller wad of cash, that's stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny. I just doesn't make sense.

Thank you for your post guys!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My old man runs a salvage yard. He has racks full of perfectly good turbos just sitting there because no one buys them.

We're thinking about using a pair of them on a project Scout we're working on. With a CR of 7.2:1 and a forged bottom end we can throw a lot of boost at it and wake that 304 up.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
My old man runs a salvage yard. He has racks full of perfectly good turbos just sitting there because no one buys them.
That's because everyone sells their turbo'd vehicle before it hits 60k miles!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 AM
I love my 3.5 eboost. The thing I like about it is that it doesn't downshift under load like a naturally aspirated engine will. The boost just builds and over the hill you go. I have pulled 8500lbs from North of Detroit to KC, MO in manual 6th gear and set the cruise at 70 and never lost more than 3mph on any hill and never came out of 6 gear one time. You can't do that with a 5.0. The bottom end grunt that engine has is amazing. That is what pulls a load. I had a 5.4 in a 2010 with a 6 speed, and it pulled good, but not as good as this little engine. The 5.0 sounds great when you are in it, but it can't pull down low like that eb can. It needs to rev to get the power out of it, and that is the part I don't like. I hate hearing it downshift and rev up and then back down and so on.
As far as gas mileage goes, how good of mileage is a 6000 lb truck going to get? If I run my eb on two lane roads at 65, I get 18 all day. If I run 80 on the I-state, I get about 16. But its worth it to have the pulling power of the those little turbos.
I think it is the best engine put in a pickup. There is no replacement for turbo chargers.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM
I have owned the 5.4, 5.0, 3.5 ecoboost, 6.2 and now have the 2.7l Eco as a loaner while my 2015 3.5 EcoBoost is in the shop...

5.4 was by far the most sluggish but my favorite overall so far. 10mpg

3.5 Eco super fun but 14mpg

5.0 sounded amazing but sluggish and reminded me of the 5.4 always downshifting when towing. 12.x Mpg

6.2 was a lot of fun and towed great but didn't like the way the motor sounded 11.5 mpg

2015 EcoBoost 600 miles and inn the shop for leaky sunroof but 16.2mpg

Keep in mind all the trucks were modded with bigger tires and all had programmers,exhaust,intake except the EcoBoost.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:33 PM
2015 5.o 4x4 scab here and love it. 2k so far.
does downshift while towing light loads but that is to be expect with 6speed.
previous 2007 scab 4.6 2wd 3:73 218k when sold...
new 5.o feels very much the same but better miles almost at 20mpg. 2 better than 4.6.

I did not test drive the eb...i may have missed something but am happy with the 5.0.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:04 PM
I went with the 5.0 also. I mainly went with it because the truck I wanted was right on the show room floor and it was a 5.0. The mileage didn't seem to be that much different between the 5.0 and the EB and the 5.0 sounds AWESOME!! I do pull a enclosed trailer 3 days a week for lawn care so I will have to see how the mileage works itself out!
Name:  2610E589-C089-4025-B9C8-629EA5C55126.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  188.2 KB

Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I seriously considered the 3.5 ecoboost but at the end of the day it was the sound of the V8 I could not do without! Especially since I know how good the 5.0 can sound.

My wife has the 5.0 in her 2011 Mustang with a Borla exhaust that thing is music to the ears.

But so far I am pleasantly suprised by the mileage. I am getting about 15 driving around town.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:48 PM
5.0 here as well (and funny, my wife has a 2011 Mustang 5.0 as well). Supercab XLT FX4. Averaged over 20MPG on a 600 mile road trip over the 4th of July weekend. No load per se, but 2 adults and a bunch of luggage/coolers/food/beer in the back seat.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
I wish you could get that color in an XLT...
If you're talking about the Ruby Red, as far as I know you can.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:40 PM
I have the 2015 3.5 EB Sport, and love the sound of it. I was afraid the turbo whine would bother me, but now I like it when I hear it because I know it means the truck is kicking the speed up a notch. My previous truck was a 2004 5.4, and when I test drove the 2015 5.0 it felt as heavy and slow as my old truck. The throaty exhaust of a new 5.0 might sound better, but I'll take a more enjoyable ride any day over that.

Its even more fun when I hit the T/S button twice to put it in Sport mode. Looks like all the new 2015's have it, but I assume its more impressive in the 3.5 EB's. I won't have to buy a programmer for this truck like I did my old 5.4.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What the hell is that "sport mode" supposed to do? I don't notice any difference.

Really tow-haul I only notice because it holds gear in downshifts when decellarating and I guess holds gear for longer when accellerating, definitely holds 3rd and 5th gears longer, Sport mode I notice no difference

Old 09-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Here's an article that describes the feature:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...port-mode.html

And a short description from the article:
The feature works by changing the frequency of gearshifts, so the truck stays in the “sweet” spot of the powerband and holds lower gears longer to make driving more fun. That means less shifting on engaging drives, such as twisty roads with rolling hills. Instead of shifting gears up and down for peak efficiency, the transmission holds a specific gear longer to make driving more responsive and spirited.

crazynip, you might not feel it as much in your 5.0 as I do in my 3.5 EB. The best way I can describe Sport Mode is it feels like a performance tune x2.

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0's