2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 Eco-Boost Power Bump Figures?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wbzipf
I bet you would really love a Tesla.

Well, because my (and all of our) tax dollars have largely funded both Tesla and Fisker (who is now bankrupt and hoping a Chinese buyer scoops them up after being given $450 million Energy Dep't tax dollars), I feel they should give me one darnit!

And MGD doesn't pay taxes here, so he can't say nuthin.

Personally, I would love to see a V8 Eco-boost, that would be unprecedented power in an F- Series pickup.

What is funny, is that in the history of the whole ford f series, it wasn't until 1999 that ford offered a gas V-8 with over 300 hp and 400 FT-lbs of Torque ( and that was only for the lightning and took supercharging a 5.4L to hit those numbers). So the 3.5L Ecoboost offers the consumer more horsepower and torque than what was available prior to the turn of this century. So this nostalgic love for the V8's power is mostly a result of embellished/ false memories of power that never existed.

For example, the vaunted "big block" 460 CID / 7.5 L V8 offered between 1973–79 only produced 200–220 hp. So much for "its only about displacement."
But hey, it had a wonderful exhaust note and had 8 big cylinders, so some on this board would apparently take that 1973 engine over today's 6 cylinder 3.5L Ecoboost.
I would. Have you heard those thirsty suckers? Orgasmic with a carb, and without too.

They were offered in trucks until 1997 btw, when it made 245 HP and 400 ft-lbs. ALL way low in the RPM range. It also made tremendous amounts of HP and TQ before 1973 and all the emissions restrictions.

And what did the I6, 5.0 and other smaller engines produce? Less.

The 8.1 Chebbies are badass too, though they have poor output numbers for their size. But their torque curve is killer.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 03-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The 8.1 GM's also guzzle gas and oil.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by glc
The 8.1 GM's also guzzle gas and oil.
Semantics. It is a GM after all

I still think it's a really good motor, and anything that big is gonna guzzle gas.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694

I would. Have you heard those thirsty suckers? Orgasmic with a carb, and without too.

They were offered in trucks until 1997 btw, when it made 245 HP and 400 ft-lbs. ALL way low in the RPM range. It also made tremendous amounts of HP and TQ before 1973 and all the emissions restrictions.

And what did the I6, 5.0 and other smaller engines produce? Less.

The 8.1 Chebbies are badass too, though they have poor output numbers for their size. But their torque curve is killer.

The big HP drop that appeared to occur in 1973 came from the requirment to post net hp as opposed to gross hp. Since we still use net hp today, you can't go back to pre 1973 hp numbers, as they aren't comparable (they will be overstated). The reductions in hp due to emissions restrictions began to occur in 72 (I think) and continued through today.

Who cares what the I6 produced, it was all inferior technology, just like the 8.1l. It's all junk by today's standards and I wouldn't trade any of that junk for what's available today.

Now that isn't to say that I don't appreciate what they had to offer in their time, but that time has past. While a fully refurbished vehicle from that time is a thing of beauty, I wouldn't want to find that junk being sold new today.

Last edited by wbzipf; 03-04-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM

The big HP drop that appeared to occur in 1973 came from the requirment to post net hp as opposed to gross hp. Since we still use net hp today, you can't go back to pre 1973 hp numbers, as they aren't comparable (they will be overstated). The reductions in hp due to emissions restrictions began to occur in 72 (I think) and continued through today.

Who cares what the I6 produced, it was all inferior technology, just like the 8.1l. It's all junk by today's standards and I wouldn't trade any of that junk for what's available today.

Now that isn't to say that I don't appreciate what they had to offer in their time, but that time has past. While a fully refurbished vehicle from that time is a thing of beauty, I wouldn't want to find that junk being sold new today.
Alright, then you can't stop at '79 when they were still available 20 years later. 1972 brought the first round of emissions restrictions, but 73+ still had stupid-low compression, which means poor HP numbers. You said that "V8 big power" didn't come until 1999. Well, big power for 6 cylinders has never existed until now, so it absolutely matters what the I6 had the V8 power was "big" in comparison to everything else that was offered. That would be where the V8 or nothing argument comes from.

Either way, barring a lack of offering them entirely, you won't see me with a V6 in my gas-burning truck. They sound like turd.

Today's technology is wonderful, yes, but it's just as good for V8s as it is for all the little forced induction things floating around. I'd still like to see how friendly the used market is towards EBs 10 years from now.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 03-04-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Alright, then you can't stop at '79 when they were still available 20 years later. 1972 brought the first round of emissions restrictions, but 73+ still had stupid-low compression, which means poor HP numbers. You said that "V8 big power" didn't come until 1999. Well, big power for 6 cylinders has never existed until now, so it absolutely matters what the I6 had the V8 power was "big" in comparison to everything else that was offered. That would be where the V8 or nothing argument comes from.

Either way, barring a lack of offering them entirely, you won't see me with a V6 in my gas-burning truck. They sound like turd.

Today's technology is wonderful, yes, but it's just as good for V8s as it is for all the little forced induction things floating around. I'd still like to see how friendly the used market is towards EBs 10 years from now.
I think your missing my point, I am a performance guy, so when they offer an Ecoboost V-8, I will more than likely prefer that. Until then, however, I will not trade an Ecoboost V6 for an older technology, inferior performance V-8 just because of the sound or displacement.

Oh, and I think it is important to show those who feel that Ford's offering of an ecoboost v6 is somehow sacrificing hp and torque, when the V6 offering has more of both than anything that was ever available prior to 1999

Last edited by wbzipf; 03-04-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM

I think your missing my point, I am a performance guy, so when they offer an Ecoboost V-8, I will more than likely prefer that. Until then, however, I will not trade an Ecoboost V6 for an older technology, inferior performance V-8 just because of the sound or displacement.

Oh, and I think it is important to show those who feel that Ford's offering of an ecoboost v6 is somehow sacrificing hp and torque, when the V6 offering has more of both than anything that was ever available prior to 1999
I know what you mean, I'm just being inflammatory and being all "grrr V8s only" I will sacrifice some power for sound though, personally, obviously.

I don't think the EB is "sacrificing" anything, but all it is is them playing games with the EPA because I'd still get "bad" gas mileage with an EB because I'd always be in the boost with my style of driving.

On a side note, good job diving into discussions right away as a new member. Big cojones

Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 AM
I know what you mean, I'm just being inflammatory and being all "grrr V8s only" I will sacrifice some power for sound though, personally, obviously.

I don't think the EB is "sacrificing" anything, but all it is is them playing games with the EPA because I'd still get "bad" gas mileage with an EB because I'd always be in the boost with my style of driving.

On a side note, good job diving into discussions right away as a new member. Big cojones
Thanks!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm totally fine with a V6, but only as long as it doesn't fill the crank with gas, and doesn't hesitate when its humid. Fix the problems (for good) and I'll be happy in a EB. (But if you sell a V8 EB I'll buy one! )

Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I'm totally fine with a V6, but only as long as it doesn't fill the crank with gas, and doesn't hesitate when its humid. Fix the problems (for good) and I'll be happy in a EB. (But if you sell a V8 EB I'll buy one! )
Amen.

PS Looks like the next gen Super Duty is right around the corner: https://www.f150online.com/forums/f-...uty-spied.html

Old 03-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Off topic.. but with new skin and a DI 6.2L I may have to finally jump to a SD.

Quick Reply: 2015 Eco-Boost Power Bump Figures?