2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 - The year Ford goes down the drain!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete model updates rarely please everyone....especially at first. If you are a brand loyalist, the new body styles will grow on you and you move on to appreciate the truck.I think Ford did a fantastic job on the Mustang...this coming from a guy who LOVED the last body style and we owned a 2010 Roush 427R. I was a bit worried but they nailed the new Stang IMHO.
BUT, I agree with the OP that this version of the F150 looks like a Tundra. The lack of originality in this body style is almost unforgivable.
To make matters worse, the Tundra, IMHO, is the worst looking truck on the market. Followed by a tie for a VERY close second place with GM gawd awful creation and Nissan's outdated dinosaur. RAM is by far the best looking truck out there and the current Ford, while not ugly, is not overly eye catching.

I'm used to be a Ford brand loyalist but after 20 years of driving Fords, I bought a 2013 RAM. The RAM won me over after a hard fought head to head evaluation. Its been nice to step out of the brand loyalty box and sample the other goods for a change....as hard as it was to do....It was a true struggle at the signing table to realize that I wasnt going to be driving Ford for the first time in my adult life. But I'm not done with Ford, My wife drives a 2013 XLT 4x4, so its kind of like a little consolation to have her truck in the garage.

Heres the deal with the 2015 F150...The only thing ground breaking about it is the aluminum body, which I'm all for. I think its a bold and good move. However, nothing else about the truck sets it above RAM (The clear current class leader). So far, Nothing is really new or class leading/exclusive about the new Ford. So in reality, F150 has only kind of caught up to its new chief competition. The creature comforts are very nice, having stuff in a truck that only been available in High End SUVS is kinda cool but.....I'm not sure many truck owners are ready for the exercise in frustration that is adaptive cruise control. LOL! The rest of the stuff is just fluff and distractions from the fact that this version is still kind of "me too" in the market, aside from the aluminum.
Active grill shutters..already in the class.
Start stop..already in the class.
Electronic assist power steering..already in the class.
Remote lock tailgate...yawn, already in class. And its awesome! LOL

Wheres the load leveling? I added this in my last FX4..I loved it!
Wheres a Diesel option? I'm not sure sinking R&D into a smaller V6 is the answer.
WHERES AN 8 speed??? Probably coming in the next few years as a 10 speed. But the competition has an very good 8 speed option.
Wheres a big, powerful V8? I'll never buy a V6 gasser in my 1/2 truck, boosted or not. I want a big, fat strong V8 in my truck. My wife's 5.0 in the current F150 cant touch my Hemi.

I dont know, I'm sure theres counters to all my arguments but if you are truly honest with yourself as a truck fan, you'll see that Ford had some catching up to do. They did only that...caught up. They did a very nice job, But I was expecting more. They've let the competition get a helluva jump on them. They better have a great update in a few years. Ford's strong brand loyalty will keep them as a best seller but there will be more and more people like me who will let that loyalty only go so far.

But on a personal note, now that Fiat bought the rest of Chrysler and the American taxpayers lost out and got screwed to the tune of $1.3 billion. A different type of loyalty might bring me right back to Ford in 2 or 3 years when I'm ready for a new truck. I bet Ford will have done some more good things to this generation F150 by then!

My 2 cents..

Last edited by Daytoman; 01-19-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
What is it with the insanity of making these trucks bigger and looking more like 1970's Peterbilts with ten tons of crazy trucker bling??? For the last eight years now, each iteration of pickups have gone from clean and svelte looking designs, to these ugly monstrosities that make BlueBird school buses look modern and clean.

The cars get better looking (for the most part); but the trucks just keep growing warts and turning into complete parodies of what a pickup truck is. I wish Ford would bring it's Aussie Ute over as an alternative,I'd rather be seen tooling around in an old Ranger than these caricatures.

Being a Ranchero owner, I could own an Aussie Falcon Ute, especially with a 5.0L under the hood. In fact, I have waited patiently for the powers that be, to bring one to the States.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 01-18-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Daytoman, I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 Hemi and I absolutely love that engine. Awesome torque and hp! My wife drove it to work a couple of times last week and decided that her 160hp 4cyl Mitsubishi Outlander didn't have enough hp! Now she's looking at the small BMW X1 crossover with the turbo 4 2.0L 240hp. It develops max torque starting at 1250 rpm! I screwed up!

I have recently read though that the hemis earlier than 2009 have a tendency to drop valve seats if they overheat. So that could be a problem, an engine replacement if that happens.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Daytoman, I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 Hemi and I absolutely love that engine. Awesome torque and hp! My wife drove it to work a couple of times last week and decided that her 160hp 4cyl Mitsubishi Outlander didn't have enough hp! Now she's looking at the small BMW X1 crossover with the turbo 4 2.0L 240hp. It develops max torque starting at 1250 rpm! I screwed up!

I have recently read though that the hemis earlier than 2009 have a tendency to drop valve seats if they overheat. So that could be a problem, an engine replacement if that happens.
Uh oh! now you're in trouble. LOL!

My wife had a 2006 Jeep Commander with a HEMI. It out towed my 5.4 easily. It was a beast. Ive heard of the valve prob but we had 3 years of trouble free motoring out her 2006 model. The newer models have really come a long way.

IMHO, Ford needs a hefty V8. IMHO, having the 3.5 EB as the top of the line motor option is a crying shame. EB owners, don't get your feelings hurt, LOL. Ive driven one several times, its a hoot but not matter how you slice it, its still a V6. That just ain't for me. Ford needs to start listening to customers instead of ramming turboed V6 down our thoughts.
They could surprise me though, the HP numbers haven't been announced. If they can tune the 5.0 up to produce some decent numbers, like they have in the Stang, well...that would be a different story. If they leave the 5.0 as it is currently, that would be a major disappointment and a pretty big oversight on Ford's part.

Last edited by Daytoman; 01-19-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge Ram owner, joined today, 4 posts all regarding the new F150.

Stinks like a troll...

Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by cheef
Dodge Ram owner, joined today, 4 posts all regarding the new F150.

Stinks like a troll...
Trolling like a Boss! :whis tle:
Dude, dont be afraid of conversation. Instead of resorting to name calling why dont you join the adults in the conversation.

If you were paying attention, youd know I also own a 2013 F150.

Last edited by Daytoman; 01-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Daytoman
My wife's 5.0 cant touch my Hemi.
Trolling like a Boss! :whis tle:
Dude, dont be afraid of conversation. Instead of resorting to name calling why dont you join the adults in the conversation.

If you were paying attention, youd know I also own a 2013 F150.
Whether it is yours or your wife's F-150, you are trolling. And last gen owners can also be the biggest trolls specially those who just bought a 2013 Ram.

There is actually a discussion on another forum about your posts:

"I would post this on the f150 forum but I don't want to create an account. I would tell that guy I felt similar back in 09 when I switched from Ford to the newly redesigned Ram. I kept telling people they were overlooking Ram and that they had really improved their trucks. Then when my truck hit 60,000 miles the problems started coming, and coming, and coming. Ridiculous problems that i've never had before like a random crack in the radiator (had to get a new radiator), a bad ignition switch, consuming oil at a rapid rate and a loud "hemi tick" that bothers me all the time. A bad sensor that would make the needle jump and the truck shutter at high speeds. Other problems too that just show the truck was poorly designed.

It really is like a ticking time bomb and I'm just waiting for a major engine problem with the sounds it makes and the oil it consumes. And i'm just past 100,000 miles. Went from "best truck I ever owned" to "worst truck I ever owned" within about 25,000 miles. Can't wait to get back to ford later this year. Probably down to the '15 or a '14 depending on the price difference.

I also don't think ram has any exclusive features that I want other than possibly the 8 speed. Don't want the diesel, don't want the inferior coil springs or airbags, don't want the hemi-5.0 is probably going to prove to be superior as far as longevity and has plenty of power."

Last edited by Rambo; 01-19-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM
"down the drain" likley not;
At the NAIAS:

1st impression grill looks a little Tundra esque, however it will grow on us...I never liked the 1997 -2003 body style, but they sold alot of 'em.

2.7 eco boost, should be a hit

Aluminum panels and less weight, gonna be good, I really gave those a tough look, stiff and lightweight, riveted together;

My biggest worry... will all this new technology cost my wallet too much???

However I'm in no hurry, my '09 replaced a strong running '92, so the '15 is a bit early for me to replace my current workhorse.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Uh oh! now you're in trouble. LOL!

My wife had a 2006 Jeep Commander with a HEMI. It out towed my 5.4 easily. It was a beast. Ive heard of the valve prob but we had 3 years of trouble free motoring out her 2006 model. The newer models have really come a long way.

IMHO, Ford needs a hefty V8. IMHO, having the 3.5 EB as the top of the line motor option is a crying shame. EB owners, don't get your feelings hurt, LOL. Ive driven one several times, its a hoot but not matter how you slice it, its still a V6. That just ain't for me. Ford needs to start listening to customers instead of ramming turboed V6 down our thoughts.
They could surprise me though, the HP numbers haven't been announced. If they can tune the 5.0 up to produce some decent numbers, like they have in the Stang, well...that would be a different story. If they leave the 5.0 as it is currently, that would be a major disappointment and a pretty big oversight on Ford's part.
I doubt Ford will bump the power much, if any, on the F-150 5.0L engine. It's a shame though, it could be a real beast. The 3.5L TT EB is the premium engine now, and Ford will not do anything to make it look inferior.

Whether we like it or not, Ford has chosen to go TT V-6 while GM has updated their 5.3L once again. With that said, I have no desire to own another GM product. Although, they do get great mileage from most of their vehicles. My wife has a 2011 Fusion that is rated 29 mpg Highway and she has gotten a best of 35 mpg with cruise at 72 mph on a trip from AR to IN. So, the technology is there, Ford just has to learn to use it without TT EB engines.

I am not ragging on EB engines/vehicles. I've test driven one and prefer my V-8. I just feel a V-8 should be in a full size truck, and not a V-6. JMO!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM

Fiat has been known, for their entire existence, for their UNreliability, and their taking over Chrysler will not, and has not, done much for their "worst in the world" reliability. They own Lancia, Maserati (horrible POS's for those that don't know), and Alfa Romeo for Christ's sake! No Chrysler product is an American product any longer either. So a RAM is as good as a "Made in Texas" Tundra, at best. You can buy a Ford, a Government Motors, or an Italian truck.

I agree that the Dodge is indeed the best looking truck on the market, and has been for a few years now, but there's no way I could stomach driving one. "I drive a Dodge" - just can't say it, doesn't sound right. An older, pre 2004.5 Cummins? Hell yeah, and only because the motor and the manual trans make up for the rest of the truck being a death-wobbling POS. But never a gas burner. Those "weird" problems quoted above are indeed what is wrong with Chrysler products. Their whole vehicles can (will) have those quirky, strange things nickle and dime you to death. The Hemis (which are fake Hemis by the way; they don't even have hemispherical combustion chambers anymore, Dodge is just capitalizing on the aura around the name) are great, while they're still in one piece. Not to mention that the new HIDs and taillights look like Cholo/ricer pieces off on eBay.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 01-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fiat = Fix It Again Tony

They are wretched, horrible pieces of crap.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 AM
while I can agree that the new Ram's appear to be better built only time will tell. the 05-06 looked good and the dashes still crack and fall apart. My Dad is a dodge fan mostly because they are cheaper than the fords. his 05 3500 that only has 37k on it just had all the 4wd transfer case linkages rot and fall off(it has been garage kept since new). that's the other thing neither one of his dodges has more than 40k on them and he keeps them indoors. he has experienced the "Death wobble" on both. maybe just maybe they have fixed some of these issues.

as far as the 5.0 not running with the hemi I personally find that amusing. My dad also thought that a new ram express would be a fun sport truck to have. he bought a 2012 reg cab short bed hemi with the 3.47 limited slip rear axle and while it was fun it did not compare to my 5.0 with 3.55 in my crewcab. both truck 2wd. he was disappointed with the performance of an engine that claimed more power. he couldn't get a programmer at the time and ended up trading it in on a 2012 edge for my mom.

I can say I have not driven any other 5.0 fords to compare to mine so maybe I am biased. I know mine is a blast to drive with the yellow traction control light distracting me often(even with the 305-40r22) I will be more excited when I get a programmer for it this summer!

From what I read on here and imo the 5.0 is overlooked and under rated by guys who want that big displacement number.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I must have commented on this in the earlier pages, cant remember what I said. every time I log in now and go to my control panel I see the thread and laugh. im sure the newest most advanced truck ever made by ford will NOT be what takes them out. maybe aliens, meteor, the next big flood, world war III, etc......

ill read it all one day this week over lunch.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Overall I think the truck looks good. I would need to see one in person to get a better feel for it. I can say I do not like the interior air vents. I think the round ones had more functionality being you can direct them anywhere, with these having a pentagonal shape is gonna limit them in directing the air where you want it. I know it's a minor issue but on a hot summer day the round ones come in handy. From past experience the sliders seem to break after a few years.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by elite64a
Overall I think the truck looks good. I would need to see one in person to get a better feel for it. I can say I do not like the interior air vents. I think the round ones had more functionality being you can direct them anywhere, with these having a pentagonal shape is gonna limit them in directing the air where you want it. I know it's a minor issue but on a hot summer day the round ones come in handy. From past experience the sliders seem to break after a few years.
You can make the air vent outlet any shape you want to and it won't affect the directional output. It will vertical and horizontal deflectors which will point the air any way you want to. The shape on the outside is for aesthetics only.

Quick Reply: 2015 - The year Ford goes down the drain!