2015 - 2020 F-150

FX4 Package vs. just e-locker

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FX4 Package vs. just e-locker

I am questioning the wisdom of getting the whole FX4 option vs. just getting the e-locker rear end on a new Platinum I am ordering via X-Plan. It is less the money than it is how much value the additional features might be (skid plates, e-locker and special shocks....and oh yeh, the decal).....smile.

Can anyone explain how much different the shocks are in daily driving vs. the stock 4X4s!? VERY seldom will I be off road....getting the 4X4 for snowy conditions in my area and JUST for that really. Any experience with that point, please share your opinion.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you still add the skid plates as a seperate option on the Platinum? The factory ones aren't great but they will stop light objects from hitting the important stuff or spread out the force from something bigger. They saved me from whacking my transfer case while turing around on a slippery road before. All the shocks on the trucks (Raptor excluded) are junk. It is an easy spot to cut cost for all the auto makers.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Skid plates used to be a separate option on a Platinum, but it's no longer available. If you want them, here's a suggestion...A couple of years ago my son wanted some all-weather mats for his new Lariat and a friend at a dealership got him a full set for less than the invoice cost on a new order, and he still had the set of carpeted mats that the factory deletes when you order the all-weather mats option. If you only wanted the skid plates and not the full FX-4 pkg., maybe the salesman could sweeten the deal and have a set installed when the truck arrives for just the cost of the parts. It's a thought

Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Ive got a 2wd with 3.31 with Elocker and drove 15 miles on solid sleet after a hard freeze. Roads were literally skating rinks, and she did just fine

a 2wd with a good driver will go further than an idiot driving a 4x4

Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I bought a new 2000 5.4 scab 4x4 XLT with traction control and put 105k miles on it. Later I bought a used 2002 5.4 scab FX4 with traction control and I still have it. I prefer the ride of the 2000 because it is a little softer. Skid plates probably will never be needed. I didn't miss them on my 2000. I changed out my Rancho shocks on the 02 with Monroe gas shocks and installed Michelin tires trying to get the ride a little softer. They helped just a little.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:10 AM
i prefer the package.I have it now and recommend it. I see no difference with the shocks. this is the smoothest F150 I have owned. my 04 was FX4 package and the skid plates came in handy one time when I hit a innocent looking garbage bag on the highway with something hard in it. put a dent in the front skid plate. I feel that it protected the truck
plus, FX4 logo looks cool IMO

Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just pulled my skid plates off yesterday to clean them. I had quite a few large rocks and a lot of dirt on all 3. The fuel tank skid plate is thick plastic like a drop in bed liner. I think it would do its job to protect the plastic tank. The plate under the transfer case was stouter than I gave it credit for as that is the one I drag over stuff and it had no dents or bends in it. The front one is quite large and I run it into some big rocks on the haul roads so I had to get the enforcer out and flat it in the back.

Overall, I do like the protection offered from the skid plates. I would think the frame on a Platinum/Limited would be the same as an XLT/Lariat so the provisions would be there for the bolts/clips to mount some up.

I'm not sure the shocks are worth the money and the jury is out on the sticker for me.

Quick Reply: FX4 Package vs. just e-locker