2015 - 2020 F-150

Your opinions please, dual moon roof on '16 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking on 'carcomplaints' website and I think there is a class action lawsuit regarding shattering sunroofs on an number of Ford products, the f-150 included.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...-lawsuit.shtml

Old 10-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Does this dual moon roof tilt, or just slide open?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by MarkY
Does this dual moon roof tilt, or just slide open?
Both!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Only had mine for a few weeks, but so far I like it. I live in MN so from late September until about May, it's "chilly" here. It's nice in Jan/Feb to be able to leave the shade open on a cold, sunny day and have the cab a little warmer when you climb in.

I will say that it leaked from both sides while going through a touchless car wash. The upper jets are only about, I'd guess, 16-18" above the roof, so that's A LOT of pressure spraying directly down on the seams. A few heavy downpours didn't cause a problem, though. Normally I go through a soft-brush wash, but I had the "brand new vehicle anxiety" going and was thinking about dirty brushes on brand new clear coat. Truth is, I'm going to have mine coated with Ceramic Pro 9H next spring, so I'm not going to be too worried about surface scratches.

I love the pano roof!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM
Only the front half of the pano opens, correct?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Correct. Push the button once and it will open roughly 3/4; hit it again and it opens fully.

The shade will open fully, though.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:14 AM
I have the double moonroof on my 2016 XLT and love it. Adds a lot of natural light inside the cabin and nice to have the sunroof open on a nice day. It doesn't leak even in heavy rain. Only downside is living in the hot south it can heat up quite a bit if it's sitting in the sun all day.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:40 PM
A moonroof is one of the last options I would ever choice on a new truck.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm at a little over 7500 miles and so far no problems at all with the roof. Anxious to see how it handles Midwest snow this winter.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:43 AM
I have a 2015 Lariat with the panoramic sunroof. There is a rattle that 2 dealers have been unable to fix. Both have adjusted and lubed the tracks which quieted the noise somewhat but it comes back. Any suggestions?

Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM
No for panoramic moon roofs

I have a 2015 Lariat with the panoramic moon roof and I would not recommend it. You will see many complaints in forums about rattling noise and leaking. Mine makes a rattling noise a slow speeds on bumps and turning. Dealer has yet been able to isolate problem. The sun shade for the moon roof is a cheap thin piece of vinyl not solid like was used on the Ford Edge moon roof.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:46 AM
I see that this is an old thread but I'm posting here in case someone else searching the way I did will see it. Please let me know if there is a more up to date thread to post in.

I have a 2016 Lariat with the panoramic roof and would definitely not recommend it. My truck has about 140K on it right now, and the roof has been rebuilt once already ( was not covered by the warranty) for rattling and a broken piece in the running gear for the slider. The rattle never went away. About a year after the first time it broke something let go again in the track when I opened it, I could hear some things crack, and they got it closed for me but want 3K to fix it and no help from Ford. I tried to call ford but let's let it suffice to say that their contact info is not easy to find. I am trying to get the dealer to contact Ford on my behalf but have been unsuccessful so far. As far as the functionality the roof was great when it worked, and as another poster noted the airflow through the cabin with the roof open and the back window open is great as long as you either have a bed cover or your bed is clean.

Spending this much money on a truck and having something that is used so infrequently not being covered by warranty is unsatisfactory and will keep me from buying another Ford.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by SDOfromMN
Hi. I am planning to trade of my GMC on my first Ford. I have been looking for 2016 Lariats. The one catch is that one of the options (dual moon roof) was not on my list, and the truck has it. My first impression looking at it was #1 will this leak? And #2, will all this extra mechanics and motors be nothing more than a headache? I like the extra light, but do benefits outweigh potential issues? I realize you can find anything online if you search for it, but I got really cold feet after reading various forums where people had these roofs that either leak, rattle and make noise, or just fail to work.

I live in Minnesota which can be -20 in January or 98 degrees in July. Those extremes make things move, and the last thing I want is a rattle box in the winter, and a dripping ceiling in the summer.

Opinions appreciated!
I have never had a single issue with my 2016 F-150 Dual Moonroof/half sunroof.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2015 Lariat it has the sunroof I don't plan on using it after seeing many YouTube vids of people who had problems with it. Of course I wasn't planning on being in a truck yet but when my Mustang got totaled when a 87 year old man made a left turn without yielding to traffic and I had no where to go and now I have this truck. I was waiting until later this year to get back in a F150 So didn't have much time to find one most of the XLT's were the 2.7l I wanted a 5.0 or the 3.5l eco got this Lariat with the 3.5L eco.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:00 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 Platinum here. At 10K I noticed wet carpeting in the passenger footwell under the A-pillar. (Truck is normally garaged, so it took awhile to be outside enough to accumulate a wet spot) Took it in under warranty and the service tech said he found a crimped drain hose on that corner. He took off the molding and grab handle and fixed/replaced the hose. My neighbor had the same issue on his 2018, it turned out to be the weld seam that runs on both sides of the roof from windshield to back edge. They sealed it and his leak was solved.
At 30K I was opening the sun/moon roof and heard a crack. It wouldn't move either forward to close or backward to fully open. I parked it in the garage and waited for a clear day to visit the dealer. The passenger side track cracked (they are plastic). I convinced them to replace both left and right sides. A point of curiosity was the fact that the dealer computer showed 6 in stock the week before I had the appt., yet when the tech went to get mine, he mentioned they had 3 of the replacement tracks left in stock.

In heavy rain, I can sit in the backseat and actually watch the slow drip from the far edge of each seam in the sun/moon roof into the track on both sides. So far, the drains all around are working and the truck interior is bone dry. Sun/moon roof has functioned flawlessly since those repairs.
Currenty at 50K.

I love the Platinum, but would love it just a bit more if next time I could find one without the sun/moon roof option.

Quick Reply: Your opinions please, dual moon roof on '16 Lariat