Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange shifting on 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange shifting on 2011 5.0

Hey Everyone,

So coming home from my last camping trip my truck started to act strange when in 2nd gear. When under load (camper being pulled or going up a hill) the truck has a momentary "miss" in 2nd gear. It's acting like i is going to shift but doesn't and then settles down and drives normally. This all takes place in the span of a second and isn't enough to loose power. The strange thing is that the truck also does this in manual mode?

It's almost as if the truck wants to hit overdrive from 2nd and then goes "nah, i like where i'm at" and continues down the road.

I did recently have my exhaust fixed from a break near the y pipe, other than this there haven't been any significant issues. No error codes being thrown and only happens in 2nd gear.

If i'm at a stop and romp on the gas the truck tears off like a champ so there isn't any issues there. I want to catch it now before this becomes something bigger.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You might want to take it into Ford and see if there are any pending software updates for the transmission.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:45 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
How many miles are on the truck, how many miles on the spark plugs, and have any coils ever been changed? It might just be a sporadic engine miss.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the truck has 67K on it and they are the original plugs. I did some driving on it this weekend to really pin in when the issue occurs. When I tramp on the gas now it has a stutter and hesitation regardless of gear. Ironically this is the same thing I just fixed over the weekend with my 2011 explorer. The fix was a new set of plugs.

Everything on the transmission checks out and there aren't any loose connections. I have new iridium plugs ordered and will be replacing them this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks

Quick Reply: Strange shifting on 2011 5.0