2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator output low

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator output low

Have 2014 f-150 xl 4X4 with 6.2 engine. Battery warning started coming on every so often for a few minutes then turn off. Everything checked out fine but was getting ready to travel near ElPaso to work and did not want to risk getting stuck so replaced Altermator. Next day the battery warning again so checked battery and was at 10volts so replaced battery. Left on my trip and over the next week the battery warning came on a few more times then go away and truck ran fine. Next time the battery warning showed up I was able to test the alternator output while running and showed 13volts exactly.
A few more days later and running fine but battery warning still poking me in the eye then going away. Today I tested the voltage with engine running and read 14.02volts. Kept engine running and turned a/c full blast, lights, and radio then alternator dropped to 13volts. Turned engine off then back on and alternator now reading 14.02 volts.
Alternator and battery new and all connections clean and tight. Is there another part to the charging system I am missing? Anyone else able to duplicate this issue on your truck? I am going back to the shop that replaced the alternator on Monday so I will continue the story as it unfolds

Old 06-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It could be a bad alternator, if you got a rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Alternator output low